An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pain Med Safety

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by DancingLady, Oct 30, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Have you ever had a member of your household prescribed a pain killer known to be possibly addictive or been prescribed one yourself?

If so, how did it affect you or the person taking it? What steps did the doctor, patient and other members of the household take to keep the patient safe from addiction or deal with withdrawal if that became an issue when it was time to go off the medication or change to another one?
  2. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

As a child I watched my father grow addicted to pain medication. The doctors prescribed him pain medication for his back, over the years he became more dependent on the pills and our reliance. It started off and taken to a day, then very quickly it grow to three and four today. And as time went on it seemed that this problem only got worse, he began to buy peels off the street and off people that he knew. And when he didn't have these he would become very violent. I can't really say that of blind the doctors for subscribing medication. I do hold them partly responsible for not looking over the situation, the other part I would lie on my father himself. For not being responsible enough to control the situation better than what he did. I understand a lot of people need pain medication, but when it gets to this point I really think it is ridiculous. Two years past while he was on the first correction medication, when I told him he needed some help. To this day and think he still battles inside himself over pills and alcohol it seems that he cannot be around any type of prescription pills that are for paying. I personally don't know of this was because he was so would dictate to them or there may be another reason. This was a time of my life when I was very sad from a father and what he was going through. I watched him go through withdrawals, some shaking when he did not have his pills. But in the end I think he overcame his addiction and is now doing much better.
  3. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Man my sister got on them and never got off. Kind of like the story of MJ after his hair caught on fire. Sad!
  4. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Trying not to take medicine until you absolutely can't stand the pain, can be very stressful in and of itself. When there is concern over addiction, every pill can make you feel guilty, even though you genuinely need it to cope with the pain. It's not an easy situation to deal with.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I had a friend who got into a bit of an accident and while in recovery we talked about how he didn't want to get on pain meds because he was afraid of getting hooked on them. I didn't know much at the time so I think he showed some great knowledge and restraint, but unfortunately not all people have such luck.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Yes, not getting started on them at all is the best way to prevent future problems. I guess it might seem "weak" to some folks when others aren't able to do that. I prefer not to take anything unless I absolutely have to, but at the same time, I can't stand to be in constant and severe pain. Other therapies and remedies can help to some degree, some of the time.
  7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I had a family member that received pain medications to deal with recovering from an injury. However, she explicitly told her doctor that she wanted a smaller dose than normal to combat any potential cases of addiction. The doctor agreed with her and gave her a weaker dosage. She wound up feeling slightly less comfortable than she would have with a larger dosage with each pill, but she never deal with addiction or nasty side effects. I think it's important to talk with a doctor to determine whether a small dose would reduce addiction potential and still combat pain to the near-fullest extent.
  8. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

The trick is to take enough to take the edge off of the pain. That will probably be LESS than the prescribed dose. If the pain is say, an 8 on a scale of ten, bring it down to a 2-3. Expect to be in some discomfort. I never feel high from the pain meds when I'm using just enough to function. When I use the whole dose prescribed and don't hurt at all, that's the point when I get the side-benefits of taking the meds. That's the sensation I crave. So I avoid it.
  9. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Good advice, AFK and Fern. I do try to use the minimum amount. There are days when I'm just tired of the pain and use more. I'm not addicted at this point, but I do have concerns about the future, since it's chronic. I will just have to be aware and alert for signs and try to avoid taking meds/take less when possible.
  10. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I recently had my wisdom tooth removed. The gum has not healed yet because the tooth broke and the dentist had to dig the roots out (did I feel Pain or what!!!) I have discovered that every time I feel a slight pain I reach for the counter pain killers that I bought when I finished the prescribed ones. I never understood the aspect of being addicted to pain pills until now. I think that the only solution is to ensure there are no pain pills within reach.
  11. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

Make sure you're getting enough sleep and some fun. When everything is pain, it's hard not to want it to end even if you know you draw closer to addiction when you take the additional meds. Distractions can help a little. I'm with you on the chronic pain so I know how hard it is. I've slipped over the line; I KNOW I'm addicted. But I understand what you're going through.
    Zyni likes this.
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I appreciate the support, Fern. I've been feeling somewhat better lately. I'm trying to live healthier to combat it and do my physical therapy. I hope you can get some help and some relief. Be well, friend.