An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

pain medication tango - an introduction

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Fern, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

My doctors expect me to be addicted to the pain medication. And I do need the pain killers legitimately for moderate scoliosis that is inoperable and likely to get worse plus arthritis that is more like a 70 year old woman than one in her 30's. Both problems are due to a connective tissue disorder that is genetic and progressive. Know what else is also in my genetics? Addiction. A lot of it.

For my mother it was alcohol, nicotine, and weed before the doctors convinced her the alcohol would kill here faster than her disease was. She's addicted to the narcotics too...but her life expectancy is pretty short now, so no one is concerned that her medication doses have gone steadily upward and have recently taken a big jump.

I'm just on tiny morphine pills twice a day and a prescription for percoset as needed in between. "As needed" are dangerous words because they give me enough for the largest acceptable dose...but do I really need that many? Am I taking enough to take the edge off or enough to really feel good? There's a thin line between long term prescription user and a prescription medication abuser. I'm trying to stay on the right side of that line for as long as possible and it's hard. I feel like I have far too much access and not near enough self control.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Have your considered trying non-narcotic pain-relief meds like Diclofenac? I've heard that they are less addictive. Since your condition won't change anytime soon, you should give them a try. I don't know if they can be as effective as morphine pills at suppressing pain.

And at least there's some good news that in the near future people won't have to fight against being addicted to pain relief medicine.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-non-addictive-narcotic-painkillers/18855459/
  3. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

Unfortunately, Diclofenac interacts poorly with some of my other medications. I don't know how well it would work for scoliosis at this level in general because the pain clinic doctors consulted with cardio pretty early on in my pain med journey and decided it wasn't an option.

I am hopeful that they'll come up with something that works well, is non-addictive, and safe for long term use BUT it will have to be really safe. As hard as it is to fight the pull of the morphine, it has a nice long track record of use in reasonable safety.