An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Painkiller Addiction Awareness

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by blur92, Jan 23, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Thanks for sharing! That actually is quite helpful, and very insightful to say the least.
    blur92 likes this.
  3. blur92

You're welcome! Like I mentioned in my post, I think pain killer addiction goes under the radar. There's a lot of focus on marijuana, alcohol, heroine, meth, etc. and although they do deserve attention, I think pain killers do too. Considering that they are more accessible to a wider demographic, they affect more people than we think. Many of them have had no interest in drugs. They were only taking medication prescribed by their doctor for pain.
  4. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I'm so glad that even after his surgery, my brother didn't become addicted to the prescription pain pills that he was given for his LCL surgery for his knee. I was really worried about it when he first came home from the hospital because he was so miserable the whole time, and he was taking them more than he was supposed to.
    blur92 likes this.
  5. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I was hooked on painkillers for some time. The main issue in sharing this with people is that they didn't quite understand how I was addicted. So, thank you for sharing this.
    Helpmeplz and blur92 like this.
  6. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

When I got my leg surgery I avoided them exactly for this reason. I used to have some problems with painkillers, so it was pretty hard to recover without some ways to numb the pain, but it wasn't going to risk it.
    blur92 likes this.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'm not saying that every American has pain intolerance but it is true that a huge chunk of the population cannot withstand pain. If painkiller addiction isn't enough of an indicator, then I don't know what is. Many Americans think that by dulling the pain, they can better cope up. Don't they know that that's just running away? For Third World countries like mine where hardships are something you wake up to the moment you're born, hardly anyone uses painkillers unless there's actual physical pain that needs to be relieved. We don't use painkillers for emotional and psychological problems.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Shimus

I don't think you should lump all people who abuse painkillers into "American" though, Tinx. It's handled by a wide variety of people - Mexicans, Canadians, Europeans, and many other foreign peoples. It's not indicative because you live here (In the USA) that you will do pain pills. They're not more readily available here then any other pharmacy in the world.

I know of plenty of third world countries that abuse drugs as much as the next one. Not saying your hardships are less or greater than anyone elses, but generalizations are a dangerous standard to set.
    missbishi likes this.
  9. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Thanks for sharing this. I was addicted to painkillers for years, and had to go through a tragedy before I kind of reined it in. It's very easy to get used to feeling numb (so, not feeling), and doing a whole lot to get to the pills that can give you that feeling.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

@xTinx have you ever been in severe pain yourself? There are people in this world who experience intolerable pain every day of their lives. Of course they need painkillers if it is their only chance of regaining some quality of life. It's got nothing to do with running away from things and everything to do with relief. If you'd read the article, you'd understand that these addictions stem from being in physical pain.
  11. Shimus

My mother was in a car accident that left her back injured for life with herniated discs and bone and disk degeneration on a high level because of the crash. She has to take some of the highest dose painkillers out there (oxycontin 60s, oxycodone 40s, list continues like a pharmacy counter) and then she was able to at least function enough to go do stuff like a normal human. And then it still ends up hurting her. She is disabled for life now because of it.

Before the accident she had a house with us four kids, and ran a business (video store) so she knew what life was like. Life can just be unfair sometimes, and leave you in a situation of dependency that's beyond your control. There's a wide variety of people like this and my mother's case is just one I thought I'd share.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I've been in severe pain a thousand times in my life. But I'm not talking about an individual person and her propensity to take pain killers. I am talking about a society where "dulling the pain" is the prevailing culture. I mean, can't you see the bigger picture? Why are a great number of Americans addicted to pain killers while you hardly see pain killer addicts in certain parts of Europe, Asia, Latin America or Africa? The answer boils down to culture. There's obviously more pain tolerance in those societies. Many Americans always make pain as an excuse to be addicted to something even when it's not necessary. I guess you're the condoning, permissive type who'll suggest pain killers to relieve a person from pain, right? I'm sorry but where I'm from, we'd rather take herbs than pain killers. We'd rather endure rather than cut off the pain. It's our way of life. That's why Americans and other people can take all the pain killers in the world for as long as they like, but enduring the pain is the key to increasing your tolerance for it.
  13. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Thanks for posting this- I couldn't agree with you more, it is overlooked and when there IS attention to it, it's too often steeped in stigma and misunderstanding. We need more productive conversations about it and more awareness all around.
  14. Shimus

It needs to be seen less as a stigma and more of an okay topic to discuss or it will always stay on the fringe of these discussions. Why? Because people think it's a taboo topic, not many discuss it openly and that's why people are left to find out the hard way. All drugs need to be addressed like this I feel because it's going nowhere to just say "WAR ON DRUGS" this and "WAR ON DRUGS" That. You need laws, actions, talks enforcing how you wish to speak/think.
  15. oleskool

oleskool Member

I worked as a Disability Advocate helping people get benefits from social security, often the pills that the person is given to help with the pain causes more harm to the patient that the condition that they are being treated for. It is sad that the person has become dependant on the pain pills it is a no win situation.
    xTinx likes this.
  16. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

Man, I feel sorry for my friends. They are taking these pills (mostly tramadol) most of the nights and aren't thinking of any consequences. They aren't even doing any other drug and think it's OK since it's prescribed.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, thanks for sharing the link in here. :)
    I almost got addicted to painkiller before when I have experienced a severe toothache. It was like popping every other painkiller even just for a little pain. Good thing I have read that too much of it could really affect health and so I stopped and learn how to deal or use it better.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Painkillers may do some good like in operations, but taking it longterm may not be good as it makes it seeem the pain has gone away but it is still there and when the person stops taking it they feel the pain again. I have known some people in my family and they would take the painkiller as if they were eating something and get addicted to it and some of them had to suffer the consequences which was not good for them. I think people, need to be aware as they could view this as a relief from pain and also it would be easy to take this drug.
  19. blur92

You're welcome @JessiFox and @zaerine! I thought it was an important topic people needed to be more aware about. Like I originally stated, it's often overlooked and as many of you said there is a strong stigma associated with it. @zaerine, I'm happy to hear you stopped before it escalated into a greater problem. From what you said you are educated about the topic and that contributed to your wise decisions. This goes to show the importance of awareness on such topics.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I really think this is a BIG issue and because it's often prescribed painkillers it's not seen as a big issue. I had a relative with a sporting injury that ended up abusing prescription painkillers. It really took a toll on them and whilst they're recovered now, it was a rough patch for a while there -- particularly with getting them to admit they had a problem. I think when people see medication as being prescribed by a doctor they don't view the abuse of it in the same way as they would for an addiction to an illegal drug.