An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Panic attacks , insomnia and depression from quitting marijuana?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Diana S., Mar 26, 2015.

1. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I want to know if someone around here experienced these symptoms after quitting smoking marijuana. I smoke for one year and a half and I had some months when I did smoke everyday like 1 gram. I don't know if what I suffer is from quitting marijuana or because I was meant to experience these problems but I do know that when I had those panic attacks and that ugly depression I wasn't smoking for one month or so. Now I take medication and I smoke one time a week . I don't know if that is ok ( maybe not) but I just can't stop it.
  2. TinVanMan

TinVanMan Member

Well, I have had some forms of these symptoms. As seems to be the case with you, they did not occur until I had been clean for some time. I am not sure exactly what you mean by "meant to experience these problems," though. If one of the reasons you use marijuana is to self-medicate then maybe there are other things in your brain triggering these episodes, if that's what you mean. I am not going to tell you what to do, but it would probably not be a bad idea to stop completely, at least while your other meds try to figure out how to stabilize your state of mind.
  3. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

I meant that maybe it was just faith and I was predisposed to depression and anxiety. Anyway, I think that because I had a rough time when I quitted smoking, my symptoms were pretty bad amplified. I will try to give up smoking marijuana but it is just hard to do so, especially when I know that when I smoke I feel a relief and for me, now, this is all I want, to chill out and let the life happen .
  4. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

It sounds like you just want to escape from your everyday mundane life. The problem is, life WILL happen, and you will miss some of it. Maybe you should get some therapy to try and find out why you don't want to be in control of your life.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Obviously, I am no expert, but it appears to me that your symptoms are somewhat exacerbated by the drugs and dope that you consume. It might be a good idea to slowly try and wean yourself off from both, as it will most likely reveal what is really causing your depression and panic attacks. It will take some time, but it will be a cleansing and renewing, perhaps even life changing experience for you.
  6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I don't smoke weed often at all, only at get togethers if someone is offering it - but I did regularly get those same symptoms whenever I would stop drinking for any period of time. I guess it's just a matter of your brain being more active and you being more alert with yourself. At least when you have a few hits of weed or a few drinks, it helps calm down your brain and not be thinking about so much stuff subconsciously. However it can be really taxing when you don't have these things to take the edge off.

Of course, there are times when we all need to be on top of our game and super focused, such as when we are at work. But when we are at home and relaxing, it can be a real nightmare to have so many thoughts and fears racing through your head and not feeling in control enough to calm down.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think smoking once a week is terrible. In my opinion you might just be putting too much pressure on yourself. Just try and relax and realize that you are just figuring it out as you go like the rest of us so you don't end up punishing yourself too much for indulging every now and then and making occasional mistakes especially if you're being responsible with the other aspects of your life despite your troubles.
  8. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

Girl, you're better than me. Once a week? I'm currently trying to slow my smoking down but that feeling that says "Go get some, you need that feeling!" Is winning at the moment because I also suffer from panic attacks and depression. At least I went down from 4-5/day to 1-3/day.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think weed can affect people in different ways, personally I never really had any effects when I decided to quit smoking, I think I was one of the lucky ones though.
  10. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

For some reason my friends who have smoked weed have tended to have bad relationships and bad health. Many have ended up getting paranoia and trust issues. Some have even been led onto other drugs such as heroin and cocaine.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of them issue's will have been there while taking marijuana so it might be easy to blame stopping taking it as maybe just an excuse?

When people stop taking a substance, I think it's easier to blame everything on the withdrawal symptoms.
  12. Taki

Taki Member

Funny. I quit smoking weed because it caused me to have panic attacks and paranoia and you are having them because you cut way back. I dunno how to answer this because weed is one of those substances that seems to affect each person a little bit differently.
  13. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I also experienced insomnia and depression as symptoms of withdrawal but not panic attacks at least not yet, 1 Gram is so low, I don't expect any serious withdrawal symptoms from that 1 Gram per day. Maybe you're just over reacting about it, just take it easy.
  14. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

Wow...that sounds so very extreme for a gram a day use of marijuana. I agree, maybe your anxiety is making it seem worse than it is. The mind is a very powerful thing, and I know throughout my history I have "talked myself" into feeling sicker than I really was, or sick at all when in reality I was just fine. Have you tried meditation?
  15. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Oh, hallucination is one withdrawal symptoms from marijuana according to our psychologist friend who used to work in a rehab center for drug addicts. He said that marijuana can cause hallucination and this is what users call bad trip. He advises that smoking marijuana should be on a moderate level because there is also a semblance of an overdose.
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I've never experienced such symptoms, nor seen anybody do, to be honest. Marijuana is probably one of the easiest drugs to get rid of the very next day if you seek to, but from the looks of the above comments, it seems to me that many, many people struggle with bad withdrawal symptoms upon quitting it. I wonder how can this happen?
  17. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

Marijuana absolutely will not cause any physical withdrawal symptoms. Psychological, maybe, but that's it. That's one of the reasons it's becoming legal in so many places. If you are using it to self medicate you should tell your doctor and see if be thinks you should continue using it or try something.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Odds are you are indeed predisposed to anxiety and depression, most people who suffer from that are... specially if it's a chronic thing. There is a big chance the fact you quit marijuana is making that worse, but it's ok, because it's a sign you are detoxing.

After all marijuana is legally used to treat terminally ill patients and other patients with severe chronic diseases... helps greatly with the pain, increases appetite, etc. But it is known to cause depression in some people. As for the anxiety attacks, I fail to see the link, but who knows, maybe after some months clean you might stop having those.

By the way, good job quitting :) I'm sure your lungs would thank you if they could. And don't worry, those symptoms might get better after a while... you should also check (if you are taking meds) if there is a chance the meds could be causing that. My new birth control pills are making me feel so dead depressed! Always check side effects online...
  19. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I don't smoke pot. I just don't like the feeling at all.
    However, I feel the need to clear up some misconceptions. Believing bad information about it isn't helping. Instead, people feel like they have to hide it because of the misconceptions.

Marijuanna has never had an adverse effect on someone's lungs. It's actually being tested as an actual cure for cancer. It's been proven to destroy cancer cells. They just have to figure out how it works, and how they can utilize it

It has never made anyone depressed. Uncomfortable, yes. But if you quit smoking it and are suddenly depressed, its because you really are depressed and you stopped treating it with marijuana.

There is no "detox" with it. There are no WDs. There is no addiction at all. When you quit, the worst of it is when you realize how bored you're going to be when you don't smoke it.

If you quit smoking it, and you suddenly have anxiety attacks and insomnia, its because you really have anxiety attacks and insomnia, but you are no longer treating it with marijuana.

It isn't really a "gateway" drug. If anything is, it's alcohol. People who are prone to try harder drugs are typically looking for a "head change". You can get that with marijuana. For some people it's enough to keep them from seeking it in a harder drug.

Marijuana alone has never caused a single death, birth defect, or even a car collision.