An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Paranoia

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JohnBrock, Feb 16, 2015.

1. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I'm in no way pro-drug, and I don't condone even the softer ones such as Marijuana, but I have tried them - one thing that was to me very off-putting, was that I immediately afterwards suffered a spell of extreme anxiety of paranoia, is this a common thing or a rarity, and if its common - how come then, that so many people enjoy recreational marijuana?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It depends on the person. I used to enjoy pot, then, after a few years of weekly smoking, it started to make me paranoid. It is also worth noting that weed strains from the indica variety are very much less likely to cause paranoia than from the sativa variety.

What people often forget is that pot is a psychedelic. A mild psychedelic, but a psychedelic nonetheless. It can have dramatically different effects on different people.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This is actually something I never suffered with when I was using Marijuana recreationally. That is, until someone suggested that it would happen and then suddenly it started happening. Of course, I eventually realized that it was just the result of belief and once I realized that the paranoia went away! However, it does affect some people like this, although I think it's the minority. My mother only ever tried it once and thought that everyone was out to get her. She never touched it again after that.
  4. JohnBrock

I never heard about paranoia being a potential side-effect of recreational marijuana usage until I experienced it myself, but I do have a rather paranoid mind-set, so it might just be that the feelings I was experiencing at the time were simply intensified
  5. amyyoh

amyyoh Member

I have GAD, an anxiety disorder, and after smoking a few years ago I experienced the worst panic attack I have ever had. I genuinely believed I was going to die. It frightened me that marijuana could trigger that.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I tried it a few times and I've never gotten paranoid before. All I got was the munchies. However a friend of mine did get paranoid over his sideview mirrors on his Ford Bronco. So there is one scenario where a friend of mine did get paranoid after smoking pot. Could be a isolated incident. I haven't heard of anyone else having paranoid dillusions.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Can I ask you something? What is it you were paranoid about exactly?

When I was younger & I smoked it wasn't my thing. I wouldn't say I felt paranoid but it was just unpleasant. Marijuana affected me like cocaine affects most. Though I've always been that way. Uppers in my system have an opposite effect.
  8. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Yeah, once most people do it in a comfortable setting and mindset, the paranoia will fade.
  9. JohnBrock

I don't personally think I was in an unsettling environment - which was poor judgement, because another time I woke up after falling asleep to some random guy being in the house who apparently knew my family, I have no idea how he got there. Anyways, I suppose it does mean a lot to be in a comfortable place
  10. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

The first year I used marijuana I was completely fine. I rarely had any serious, uncomfortable moments of anxiety. It was fun. However, when the second year rolled around I began to get very paranoid, upset, and anxious. I became very quiet and unable to socialize. The environment or people I was with made no difference. It was to the point where I could not enjoy smoking anymore. Honestly, I'm thankful this happened because it led to me quitting.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have seen some people get paranoid and depressed from this and also, not deal well in life with the problems they have to face and been reckless. It has to do with the individual some, can perform tasks as normal and don't have any problems with doing them and some have issues which cause all sorts of emotions. The environment a person is in, has a effect and also with the ones they associate with and do they care about them or just friends just for the marijuana and don't care what happens to you.
  12. amyyoh

amyyoh Member

I smoked a few years ago and it prompted the worst anxiety attack i've ever had. I didn't think I could breathe and genuinely thought I was going to die. I was hysterical - the room was spinning and everything felt wrong an terrifying. I had a strong sense of impending doom and it was awful.
  13. Sparkster

Unfortunately, the paranoia is usually caused by extremely high levels of THC. Marijuana is being grown and bred in this way to increase it's strength. Studies in the UK have shown that Marijuana users under the age of sixteen were much more likely to suffer with psychosis and paranoid delusions when they were older if they continued to use high-THC marijuana. On the other hand, CBD which is also contained in Marijuana, counteracts the negative effects of the THC and this is why medical Marijuana is grown with higher levels of CBD rather than high levels of THC. THC results in more of a head-buzz whereas CBD results more in a body-buzz.
  14. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I've definitely heard of it being a side effect, and I've known people who experienced it to some degree. It doesn't affect everyone this way, but those who do something or get in situations where they might get caught seem to be most likely to over react with paranoia. Perhaps it simply amplifies the nervousness already there?
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While marijuana use in the short term can be classed as a fun recreational activity, I think we are yet to find out what prolonged long term use can do to the persons body and mind. Paranoia is obviously one of the prime examples of the way it can affect different people. I also think its how you smoke it aswell though, if you smoke it for fun and to have a laugh, theres less chance of it affecting you in that way then if you smoke it purely to get high...
  16. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

I don't think anxiety is something that actually comes along with smoking marijuana I think it's paranoia. And realistically to be honest with you I think the majority of people who get paranoid when they smoke marijuana for the first time are individuals who are incredibly fearful of the legal percussions. These individuals don't want to do anything illegal whatsoever to become incredibly paranoid when it comes to smoking are using marijuana.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think what you have experienced is a rarity, because I have also smoked weed and I have never experienced the same things that you have experienced. I never felt any feeling or paranoia, but I did get depressed for no reason at all after the "high" feeling waned.
  18. Sparkster

You know, I really think it's largely due to the fact that 'authorities' link it to paranoia. I think for most users it kicks off from being paranoid about whether other people in public actually know whether they're stoned or not. They get self-conscious about it and start to feel uncomfortable and I think that's when the real paranoia starts to kick in. It begins with social anxiety. I think that's how it develops for a lot of users anyway and then just progresses from there.
  19. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

To those saying that marijuana doesn't cause anxiety, I have to disagree. You see, THC in and of it's self, causes anxiety attacks. The CBD in the marijuana counteracts this and is responsible for the relaxation. Strains that contain more THC than CBD generally cause anxiety.
  20. Sparkster

This is correct. In the UK, most of the Marijuana on the streets has been produced for high-THC levels and is more potent than it ever has been before. There are concerns over this and I definitely don't see the UK following suit and even considering legalizing it, not even for medicinal use, like it has been in certain states throughout the US. I watched a documentary show where a woman experimented by being injected with pure THC to experience the side effects, then when it had worn off she did the same with CBD. The THC made her paranoid and anxious whereas the CBD made her relaxed and giggly.