An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Paranoia

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Joyner, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Joyner

Joyner Member

Does anyone else have experiences in trouble distinguishing real and imminent danger from paranoia? For me, it seems like paranoia is a problem area with a lot of mental illness and related addiction. One of the problems I have is one extreme or another. I notice either paranoia in assuming the worst, misreading both social signals and body language and making things a bigger deal than they are. OR you can be too trusting and not careful enough, putting yourself in bad situations because you didn't use common sense and the instinctive sense of danger that helps all living things survive.

I think the biggest risk of paranoia is that, whether danger is real or imagined, your choices in response can have real and long term consequences. How does one properly understand what may be paranoia, and how learn how to deal with paranoia and prevent it from causing serious problems in the future?
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

My father when he quit smoking experienced major paranoia! he has also smoked for like 40 years so it got intense..
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd first find out what could be causing that paranoia... most of the time paranoia is a symptom of mental illness and in that case I really think that medication is needed. I am not big fan of medication, but in cases like this I really think it's more than necessary to seek professional help.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It does happen to me from time to time. Probably not paranoia as such, but just a level of anxiety. I always worry that people are judging me, or that I don't measure up to others. People reassure me that it's not true, but it contributes to me feeling shy/reserved and anxious around others at times.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Marijuana is notorious for causing paranoia and there are experiments which have shown that THC, the active ingredient in marijuana which gets you high, is responsible for it whereas CBD (also in marijuana) counteracts that effect. Marijuana can indeed caused paranoia or it can be cased by a variety of mental illnesses. In fact, I think most mental illnesses have a paranoia factor to them. I do think where marijuana is concerned that it's largely psychological - it makes you feel more self-conscious when in public but I do think it's also possible to overcome it.