An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Parenting and pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bavinnie, May 4, 2015.

1. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Genetically your child has a higher chance of being interested in marajuana if you have been. It doesn't mean they will for sure, but it's 50/50. It's really good that you are thinking about this already. Teens break the rules, that's why I think an honest approach works best. When they are of age to know what marajuana is, give them the facts. Ask them what they think of it. If they ask you if you've tried it, be honest. Tween/teenagers know when their parent is lying. If you have this open dialogue about it, they will be more likely to ask you about it and talk to you about their experiences. It's ok to have rules about it, but kids break the rules when you don't know about it. If you talk to them about it openly, you can give them the knowledge they need to make decisions. Most tween/teens get their information from other teens in their class. They can't always make informed decisions if you don't talk to them about the facts.
  2. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

I think being honest with kids when they get to a certain age is important. I have told my children that while weed isn't nearly as bad as other things, it still effects your body. It changes you while you are on it, and that is something to take seriously. With constant use, the substance stays in there and will change you until its back out of your system.

Just because it doesn't kill, doesn't mean there aren't sometimes negative effects. Everyones chemistry is different.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Education makes sense. They need to get educated about it. There are different programs that teach kids about drugs and get them to learn about it early. Make a commitment to be drug free. They should develop their own views of it.
    I've never been against marijuana. I am kind of on the fence about whether or not this whole legalizing it is a good idea. I just have a feeling it will be like cigarettes and alcohol.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe try to be as close as possible to your child as a friend. So that when the time comes that he might think about it, he or she will probably ask about pot on you like asking if what it is, is it a good or bad thing etc. That way you can tell him that it is not good to try it cause it can be addictive and discuss what could be the bad effects of it. :)
    Rainman likes this.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's a lot of misinformation the kid will get whilst they grow up and the only way to ensure they learn everything [only the right information]that will help them make the right decisions when the time comes is by teaching the kids about drugs, their negative effects, etc. But this by itself won't be enough. Be close enough to your kids to notice any change in behavior that would raise a red flag because intervening early does make a huge difference.
  6. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

If or when my child comes to me about this, I will make the decision on how to handle it. I would rather my teen come to me with questions and the curiosity to try it rather than a classmate. I would rather my daughter want to try it in my own home rather than on the street or behind the school with a group of kids. The more you tell them no and forbid it, the more they will be opt to try it from either curiosity or to spite me. I would rather be the one there to monitor it if it came down to it. Being a household where neither my husband or i drink or smoke, I would hope she never feels the urge to partake in those activities.
  7. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

My daughter is 12 now. For several years we have been having the discussion on drugs. I think we've been talking about their effects since she was 5 or 6. When we would talk, I would use my brother as an example. My brother started smoking marijuana after our parents divorce. He developed bipolar disorder and the beginning stages of schizophrenia due to overuse. My daughter was able to see the changes in his character and personality, and since she suffered epilepsy for about 4 years I asked her if she wanted to take the risk of developing another disorder by using a substance that was not even worth it. When I talk about him with her, I don't try to earn her disgust, but her pity for him. She was able to see how he threw away his film-making career over pot. She has seen that it can happen to anyone and how it could affect her.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Different ways of dealing with the issue for different types of children I think is the big thing here, and one set way won't work for everyone.

As long as your child gets some education at least though, I think that's the most important part.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

That is so scary. Was he ever able to quit smoking marijuana? Some people say that the stuff has no negative consequences, but I think that it does. When you overuse a substance it has to have a bad effect on you in some sort of way.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There's many stories just like yours though involving drugs, but it seems that more and more people are still getting addicted no matter what warnings are put out there.

Aswell as parents educating their children, I think the time as come now for governments to look at how they are dealing with drugs because the measures in place now, clearly aren't working.
  11. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

Tell them not to do it and show examples of what it can do and the consequences.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am not yet a parent as well, but once I have got kids, I won't be too strict nor be too lenient towards them, just the right balance of discipline. I would try to have good and open communication with them, and tell them (once they became teenagers) about the dangers of alcohol, drugs, and other substances, and I wouldn't want them to suffer such things.
  13. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Just set a good example. Parents are the first role models that children will have. Whatever you do at home, they will emulate it. So just lead by example. And when they're older and can understand, be open to them and let them know that every action has consequences. Being a parent is a work in progress. You will learn every step of the way. And let me say that you're off to a good start.
  14. Oguh

Oguh Member

Just be honest with them. Marijuana is not a big deal but, depending on where you live you could go to jail just for smoking it and it's not something you would want to see happen. I think demonizing it will make kids want to try it more.
  15. lmilic

lmilic Member

WhenI was a kid, my parents told me not to do something and I did it just because of them telling me not to do it, don't tell your kids not to smoke marijuana, if you find out they do talk it out from them but don't give them the feeling that you are ordering them to do something
  16. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

If you think your son is smoking pot, or if you think he might be getting exposed to it, just make sure you explain to him all you know about marijuana. There's no way around it, if he want to smoke it, he'll probably do it anyway.
  17. mscooke

mscooke Member

Keep yourself armed with information. Be prepared to answer the tough questions. It's important to keep a dialogue going. Simply saying "NO" is not what you want to do! The more you're against it the more they'll be for it, it's like the forbidden fruit. Don't just talk about it once & move on, ask weekly, monthly, etc about their current status or stand on the issue, a follow up of sorts.
  18. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I have yet to get this far as a parent and hope that it will be easier down the road. I think if you talk to your kids like they are your equal about marijuana and other drugs and tell them the consequences then you will fair better than if you just say no you are not allowed and leave it at that. Give your kids the respect that you expect from them and make them feel they are a part of the whole issue so that they can make the right decision about it. Hopefully, they will surprise you and not use drugs.
  19. Kellyh33

Kellyh33 Member

I am a mother of two boys, and recently I have begun the sex/drugs conversations. I have always been very big on not wanting to alienate my children by making the conversation about drugs a threatening one. I am trying to teach them that drugs are dangerous and they should always say no, but at the same time, they know that if they ever find themselves in a situation where they have decided to use them, they can always turn to me for help. I have made the promise to both my children that if they are to ever find themselves in a situation where the person driving is under the influence or they are under the influence, they can call home without fear of being in trouble. I want them to fear the dangers of drugs and alcohol, but I don't want them to be afraid to come to their parents for advice or help either. Honestly, I think the most important thing to remember in any situation is to communicate with your kids. Build a strong relationship with your child. Remind them everyday that you are the parent and have important choices to make for them. And don't forget to remind them that above all else, you will be there to support them in any situation.