An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Parents Smoking Around Their Children

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by AFKATafcar, Jan 19, 2015.

1. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

In my local area, it's actually illegal for adults to smoke in cars where minors are present. Anyways, what do you do when you come across parents that are smoking in the vicinity of their children, considering what secondhand smoke can do to them? I'm usually not a brash person, but I call them out on what they're doing, and most people put the cigarette down in a huff. You can harm your own health, fine, but children don't deserve to deal with those consequences themselves later on in life.
  2. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I always tend to frown when I see parents smoking around their kids. I think that that is one of those things that you should just keep them away from.
  3. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

I have always been a strong advocate for quiting cigarette smoking after I went through a rough time myself. Second hand smoke is perhaps the worst thing that children whose parents smoke go through if they do it in their vicinity. When I see a parent doing that, I calmly approach them and tell them to put it away just for their kid's sake. I am actually surprised that not a single parent has failed to do that despite a little frowning.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It's gross really. Hell, I won't even smoke in front of my younger siblings. I have no problem with parents who smoke as long as they are still able to be a good parent. But smoking in front of your child isn't something a good parent would do. I mean, as long as you aren't indoors or in a car I can't see the second hand smoke really hurting them. But it's the fact that you're the person they look up to in terms of what they should and shouldn't be doing and they can see you smoking. It just sends a bad message really. If you're a parent who smokes, hide around the corner or in the backyard to smoke.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I always tried to be respectful of others when I smoked and tried not to smoke directly in the breathing pathes of others. I did not want them to have to breathe in the toxins. I have heard that some states are enacting laws that make it illegal for people to smoke in their vehicles if there are kids present. It is a good law because there is nothing the kids can do about the smoke otherwise.
  6. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more.That to me is retrogressive behavior and no kids should be made to suffer because of their parents behavior.As a matter of fact,no smoking should be tolerated inside the house.
  7. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

My parents always smoked around us. In the 70's and 80's (when I was growing up) very few people thought about smoking around people who didn't, and that included children. I am not defending it, because my wife smokes and she always smokes outside and not in the car. I don't think that is really a stranger's business to tell someone else to not smoke, but that's my opinion. I don't know where you are from, but I have never heard of this being illegal. I could see someone getting in trouble if the child grew sick and they could prove it was from secondhand smoke though.
  8. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

That would be great if one day it actually became illegal to smoke. There is no good that comes from it. Even medications and alcohol can be argued as serving a purpose, but smoking serves none. However, since it's not illegal, I wouldn't say anything if I saw people smoking around their children. I don't agree with it, but again, it's not illegal. If it is in your area, then perhaps you are much more justified in speaking up.
  9. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

My mom used to smoke a cigarette every single morning in the kitchen while we watched TV when I was really young, and I remember that vividly. I also remember from as far back as I can remember that my dad has always smoked in front of me, as well as other family members and my dads coworkers over the years as I've been there while they are on their smoke breaks, but they always have tried to make sure that the smoke was not going directly into my face and they were always outside. My dad smoked in the car (still does) with me in the car as well, but the window is always open and the cigarette always stays outside the window.
  10. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

I totally agree with you, my parent smoked in the same room i used to study in when i was a kid. He stoppped that after he got two stints (i don't know if that's the right spelling) inside his heart. But the damage has been done because both of his sons picked up smoking. I quit right after my dad went through with his operation, but my elder brother still smokes at least 3-4 cigarettes everyday.
  11. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

I know that most parents who do it are aware that they are not doing the right thing. It's all about ignorance and addiction. One way that I believe can help is increasing awareness about the real negative effects of secondary smoke. Even though most people know about it, I believe they don't have a good understanding of the adverse effects it can have, especially on the health of small kids.
  12. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I am jealous of everyone who has never had to be in the car with their smoking parent when they have asthma. I've always had horrible breathing problems and my mother sees no problem with smoking in the car as long as the window's open--I haven't gotten into a car with her in YEARS because of how bad it made me cough. I don't know how you can see your child literally choking and keep smoking it. Her car smells terrible, too.
  13. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

Until fairly recently, I considered smokers to be pretty inconsiderate. When my state banned smoking in public buildings, vehicles, and outdoor areas where people gather (like a playground), people complained forever! What were they losing? The right to make others sick? The bar flies were especially bitter about it. But what about that bartender or that waitress that breathes in a cloud of smoke all day? I read that it is the equivalent of smoking a pack a day. Yuck! Even the way they dispose of their butts is rude and disgusting. Someone has to clean all those butts from lawns, sidewalks and parking lots.
  14. Mahpokemons

Mahpokemons Member

It's like those people have no common sense at least as an adult you know what you are doing to your body and that's fine, kids don't have a say and no parent in their right mind would force their dirty habits on their kids like that unless they were really ignorant and selfish. I would go hours without a smoke any time I knew I would be present in front of children and also bring an extra clean sweater or change so I wouldn't smell like smoke.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I agree that smoking in cars should be banned if there is a child present. We all know what the health risks from second-hand smoke are and there is no way that this should be inflicted upon children.

To be honest, I find it outrageous that people do smoke in cars with their children - do they not care about the rish to the kids's health?
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I will just look that person sharp and shake head cause I do not think that telling them straightly will do good and might cause an argument. There is no such law here and it is not a good thing. A lot of parents seem not to bother if they are also harming their kids or families health as long as they could smoke.