An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Parents were heavy users

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JoshPosh, Feb 24, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My parents were heavy users of pot. I never took a liking to it after a few tries but that was about it. I can remember going hungry at night but my parents always had money to buy pot. This pisses me off. I mean, those days are over already but I know for a fact it's still going on to other kids of users. How can a parent to that to a child is beyond me. Letting your kids go hungry just so you can get high is pathetic and irresponsible.

Has this happen to any of you? What do you think of the situation?
    ebzo likes this.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It never happened to me as a child; only when I grew up and was making decisions for myself, on my own. My father and mother smoked, and my dad even dealt at one point, but they told me that was the normal back in the day (1970s).

Personally, I would often times let the habit break me and sit hungry and stoned rather than eat hearty and feel content. I liked what it did, where it took me.. but it was draining me financially. Brother smoked too, so I had to fund his habit when I smoked since we lived together. So there was that too. Almost all my money I earned aside from rent and the necessities went right into herb and I relied on him to pay utilities and food. It was an odd relationship to have with your sibling but I had it and we did it for the longest time before I realized how irresponsible it was
  3. Coltodor

Coltodor Member

CPS should be involve if this happen. The parent should make feeding their kid the highest priority. Weed shouldn't be a excuse to not feed their children.
  4. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well this is sad where parents can buy drugs but can't afford to spend the money on their children especially on food. This is just one of the realities of drug use and addiction. People who are addicts will only put out every effort to acquire more drugs to satisfy their addiction and neglect their responsibilities.
  5. JoshPosh

Well, the alternative to CPS was my grandparents house. They were clean as a whistle. We spent quite a bit of time at my grandparents house because loved us and made sure we ate and slept like normal kids should. I can honestly say without them I'd probably be doing drugs and following the footsteps of my parents.
  6. JoshPosh

I agree. Parent and their addictions will lose focus on their responsibilities. I made it out alive and in one piece. I didn't take to drugs, but alcohol is another story. At my grandparents house there were no drugs to be found, but they drank beer, if not at the dinner table then with friends that use to come over.
  7. ebzo

ebzo Member

Well my mother smoked weed my whole childhood and i never ever went hungry, i think it just depends on the individual and how they deal with their high. That being said i do not in any way condone parents smoking cannabis. Also im sorry for what you went through growing up, glad to know your past it. :)
  8. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Oh wow, how terrible! It actually makes my blood boil just reading your story... how a parent can do that to their own child really is beyond me! I will never ever understand it. Some people really where not made to be parents at all! I can't imagine my child going hungry while I am smoking up and satisfying my own selfish needs.

This has never personally happened to me but I have witnessed a few irresponsible parents who have done this and I simply say they don't deserve to even keep their children.
  9. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

That is addiction if I've ever heard it. Not feeding your child is disgusting, especially in the face of smoking pot.
  10. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

That's insane. Especially with something like pot. Growing up, I had a few friends who's parents smoked pot like that, they still never mistreated their kids though.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I pity those children who had parents like in this kind of situation who are been neglected just like that. Just imagined for the sake to be satisfied to their urge for their wrong vices they will buy that things first rather than to buy food for their children who are hungry already. This is a different kind of story and it breaks my heart. Because I had parents who always gave us their children good foods to eat at the right time of every meal. I just can't imagined how children of having parents like that are going through. Children should not be treated that way. And for those who intend to become parents and you are not sure you can take full responsibility of having a children then think twice if you are capable of raising a family.
  12. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I just can't say enough about your crappy parents! I hope they realize how utterly self-absorbed they were! In my public service job, I see people all the time who are potheads. You can smell it on them a mile away. They always have kids with them who are obviously neglected and hungry, at least for attention. The parents are driving under the influence as well. And most of them are on public assistance, so I guess the taxpayers are buying their pot, but at least their kids stand a chance of being fed with food stamps. It is such an immoral situation, and they want this stuff to be legal? I don't get it!
  13. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

My dad was a heavy seller but he definitely wasn't a heavy user. My mom was against it because she's grown up in an era where everything is anti-marijuana. It's okay but I'm not necessarily going to be deterred from it because of her opinion.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I never experienced that situation, thankfully. My parents never used drugs. You were still lucky to have very nice and "clean" grandparents, at least they compensated for the neglect that you have experienced in the care of your parents. I hope you did not hold any ill will towards them.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

That's a clear sign of excessive usage, which led to unrecoverable addiction. It's sad that you had to go through this, but at least now you know that what they did was bad. Not many children come off better after seeing their parents practicing their vices, because they tend to copycat everything they do. Consider yourself blessed because of your power of staying away from pot. :)
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, it's good for you that you realized you are not your parents, and that you must go your own way in life.

Something similar happened to me, but with alcohol instead. My parents were heavy users, and I remember that one day they had no more money left and they just took my schoolbag and sold it. I had to carry my books in a plastic bag until I collected enough money to buy myself a new one.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well there was neglect with my family growing up, but it didn't involve pot. I mean of course it is irresponsible. You ask because in the back of your mind you still need to hear how messed up it was. It's always so incredibly disturbing to a child to neglect them in anyway. They certainly never want to apologize or admit they made mistakes. It would be a miracle for that to happen.
    I've just been recently going over the different ways I was neglected by my parents. I think how that has messed me up as an adult. You don't just have children and think that you aren't the basis for who they are as an adult. I mean if this is not the epitome of self centeredness I don't know what is. Parents shape and mold, encourage and love. Inspire and are suppose to be the role model for their children to be amazing adults when it comes around. When you haven't had that in many ways you suffer until you find a way out of it. The feelings of not being good enough. The overwhelming feeling that no body wants you around. The question of why doesn't things work out for me the way I want it to nonsense. It all comes from parents who resented even having children. Attempted abortion on you. If you feel like nobody wants you it is a clear sign that one or the other of your parents attempted to abort you. Knowing this sort of frees you from it. Sets you free, because now you know that is not true. Just because your parents were completely irresponsible does not mean that nobody wants you. It just means that they didn't and they are the most important ones that SHOULD of wanted you. So they have destroyed your sense of self, and self worth. There are plenty of people that want you around, but this feeling causes so many problems to occur. Under minds your confidence and makes you self destructive in many ways.
    I'm just going to try and imagine what it would have been like if my parents were into pot. I think my brother probably would have been pissed off. My Mom follows the law to her own advantage in such an odd way so she wouldn't of touched it. Maybe she will take it up now and get herself a script.