An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Parents who allow their teenagers to smoke

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amethyst, Apr 12, 2015.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I currently live in a third world country where I often see parents who allow their teenagers to smoke. In fact, the other day when I visited one of our local parks, I saw a woman surrounded by her cigarette puffing sons, none of whom would have been older than 14 years. Life here is hard, and I understand that there are many customs and liberties here that don't exist in other countries. But no matter how bad the general conditions are, I still think that parents should try and discourage their kids from smoking.
    What do you think?
  2. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I think it's best that parents educate their kids first before telling them not to do it. If they just tell them not to do it, they will do it because that's how teenagers are.
    AAngelo and amethyst like this.
  3. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I don't think that teenagers necessarily do things just because their parents tell them not to do. In this case it sounds like it might be a cultural norm to allow things like this to happen. It might be an issue regarding the parents not being educated in the dangers, and passing that lack of education on to their children. It could also be a situation where the parent has lost control of the situation and children. Either way, I think the first step is making sure that everyone is educated to the dangers and reality of smoking. Then again, if you're living in a country that's rampant with death and corruption, they probably are not worried about the ramifications of cigarette smoke.
    amethyst likes this.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not surprised to hear about parents in that situation don't know any better because often their situation leads them to remain uneducated, misinformed, or even jaded. I think parents who are more mentally capable of raising disciplined kids, regardless of their status in life, would be able to curb the behavior not necessarily just by talking to them about the substance but mostly just being open and communicative as well as being able to gain their trust and respect so they do end up listening when the situation necessitates it, but unfortunately it just takes way too much effort to own up to the responsibility for most people. It's much easier to just sit back and let them be happy even if it will end up killing them early.
    amethyst likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think in some countries smoking is still just a way of life that people are brought up with. I thinkit might be a bit harsh to say that it's a lack of education that causes that, I think people all over the world and in every country are aware at the risks and dangers involved when it comes to nicotine.

Dont forget that it's not that long ago that smoking was advertised and promoted as a fashionable thing to do here in the UK and in the US. Even when I was growing up in th 80's and 90's smoking was part and parcel of growing up.
    amethyst likes this.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I share your opinion. It's not so much a lack of education, but rather a form of resignation. If you live in a place where you can get killed for a pair of Nike shoes, you just want to live in whichever way you deem as enjoyable or calming.
  7. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

They shouldn't approve smoking, although they also shouldn't forbid it. After all, it is their own choice.
  8. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I suppose, it's a horrible thing for a parent to allow their teenage kids to smoke. Either they aren't fully aware of the catastrophic effects of smoking or they tend to remain indifferent to their kids' well-being. Of course, you talked of the social situation prevalent in your country. Nonetheless, parents getting into a state of resignation or staying jaded. does not help. Life doesn't come on a platter to anyone in any country. Everyone must have to work hard and understand their responsibilities. I still think parents should take the cue in educating their children and dissuade them from smoking.
    amethyst likes this.
  9. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, the human mind works the opposite: Tell someone not to do something and he will do it, surely. This is how I started, personally. My parents always told me that smoking was bad, like every parent would've said, obviously, and would've punished me rather severely for not obeying them, but I managed to always hide my habit. Now I kind of regret that I "smoked" their money, but what's done is done...
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I agree that parents should prohibit their children from using any danger substance. It might be a cultural thing. but I still don't agree with it.
  11. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I think it is wrong for parents to allow their kids to smoke. This is something that kids may pick up from society and nothing that parents should give them permission to do. Cigarettes are nothing that parents should be doing with their kids because it is not a good look. Instead, they should tell them how bad smoking is for them and try to persuade them not to do it. There are some people who think that their kids doing things around them, such as smoking or drinking, is a good thing. This is because they will be aware of what they are doing at all times. That is not an excuse for the behavior.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is very bad indeed for your child to smoke before you. If you cannot advice them then it seems that you do not know of the consequences. It starts from home that we should know how other family members live. At a younger age, our kids may not know the problems arising as a result of smoking. If we cannot stop them, then they may think that we are supporting whatever they are doing.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of parent's though have probably been smoking all of their own life and started smoking around the same age as what their children are now. Different countries and cultures will have different views on smoking and while I assume that most will know about the health conditions related to smoking, a lot might still not take much notice or even believe what they are being told.
  14. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

Because teenagers will do exactly the opposite of what their parents tell them to do. Kids in first world countries do it as well, they're just hiding from their parents is all. I visited Indonesia once, and a little kid (6yrs old maybe) offered me a cig in from of a KFC.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think all teenagers necessarily rebel. I think the only ones who do are the ones whose parents don't communicate with them enough or properly. The ones who are have a good interpersonal relationship with their parents usually are able to understand their situation a lot better and therefore tend to make smarter decisions.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

My best friend and her siblings were all allowed to smoke as teens. Their mother was a single parent so I guess she just couldn't handle all those teens, and allowed them to do what they wanted.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My guess is that since you are in a third world country, it is perfectly normal for young people to smoke, especially if you saw it going on in a public park. I don't think parents should allow young people to smoke because that makes them more like to pick up the habit. Kids are going to get their hands on smokes one way or another though if they really want them.
  18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I agree with you! That woman needs to discourage their children because smoking can really have some bad consequences over time.
    I think that every teenager needs to be taught about how cigarettes can destroy your body, especially at that age.
  19. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

Yeah, I feel like that's not helping them at all. I feel like kids are still in the developmental stages with their brains and if the smoking affect them this early...I don't even want to think about those possibilities.
  20. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I have seen this alot latley. Parents that smoke sharing there cigs with their under age kids. And some parents buying them for their kids. I'm going to try my best to educate my children on this when they grow up and hope they don't take on this habbit.