An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Parents Who Introduce Their Children To Drugs

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I just heard a disturbing story.

Whilst talking about drugs with a young man, he told me that when he was a teen he regularly "did drugs" with his parents. It was one helluva a dysfunctional family I surmise but it had me wondering could it be that the war on drug is almost impossible to win because a lot of adults [parents] are a part of the problem? They introduce their children to drugs be it accidentally or because they prompted by malice [they want their children to be just like them] or stupidity [teaching their kids a lesson]?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Unfortunately some parents feel it's ok to smoke marijuana with their kids. I guess they feel marijuana is safe, or harmless, so it's okay to do. As a parent I wouldn't want to encourage my child to do something that could possibly have a negative impact on their life.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think stories like this make it clear that some people aren't fit to even have children in the first place, as I would have thought the normal mentality is that you want your children to do better than what you have.

If you introduce them to drugs, your limiting their growth on purpose, so how can that ever be good parenting?
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I used to smoke marijuana all the time with my boyfriends mom when I was a teen. We would go over to her house all of the time after school and smoke a bowl with her. She was bipolar and it helped her stay mellow. Now that I look back on it, she should not have been sharing with us, but I guess she figured we were safe doing it at her house as opposed to doing it in a back alley somewhere.
  5. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

This is terrible that a parent is the one introducing their child to drugs. Although nothing surprises me anymore especially with the way the world is today. In this situation the parents need help and now so does the teen.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, sometimes parents don't deserve to be parents, and sometimes if they are high themselves they aren't in their right mind in the first place. This is a problem that many people face unfortunately. Some parents maybe unwittingly let their child try something and they think it is OK, because the parents have modeled that behavior. To knowingly party with your kids though is just wrong I think.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Parents can be the very enablers keeping the kid in addiction. So yes very important to realize this as a problem too. How sad to take your kids down with you.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I just find that scene very disturbing. I am a believer that some parents often need parenting themselves. I've made some mistakes as a parent but sadly that's not one. Children have a way of saying "look at yourself" when it comes to giving advice to stay away from drugs. They have no problems with saying we did it together...........
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

As a parent, it's our task to guide our children to the right path. And doing drugs with them, even softer drugs or cigarette, is like bad parenting for me. You are not supposed to be a friend to them. You are supposed to be their parent. Yes, you can be friendly, fun and engaging. But you also have to the disciplinarian and guider of the children. You cannot be just one aspect or just excel in being the fun parent. You will have to know when it is right or when is the limit enough.
  10. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

I have an uncle who smokes weed while playing with his teenage sons in his backyard. I think what he is doing is he making a statement to them that it's alright to do drugs.
  11. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Oh man, when I hear a story about a parent, or legal guardian, who decides to introduce their kids to drugs I feel very sorry for those children. You see, when a child is introduced to something early on, they have no defense against it. They have no way of saying no. We, as adults, should protect them, not harm them. What do you guys think?
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Pwarbi you read my mind. It makes me feel sick to my stomach that parents out there would introduce their children to drugs - as a parent of a little one myself it astounds me that the mindset of some people is to harm their children like that.

I never, ever want my child to get caught up in it - like you said, I want her to do better than me, I want her to have more opportunities - I just don't get it when that isn't every parents mindset.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    pwarbi likes this.
  13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Sadly, many parents have normalized drugs as experimental. It is a super common mistake that could easily cause your child to get into drugs and use the regularly. I had many friends in high school that would experiment with drugs and would suffer no consequences. Their parents would yell at them, give them a slap on the wrist, and try to be the "cool parent" saying it's okay to experiment.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I don't think "dysfunctional" is really accurate.
    When you suffer from an addiction, you don't think properly.
    The family may not really be "dysfunctional" but if someone is addicted, then they want to be around people who are similar.
    It's a really sad state of affairs when a parent is the one introducing the drugs, but it does happen.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's very irresponsible of the parents. I agree, it is going to be difficult for the child to grow like a normal and functional person if his/her own parents are the ones who are ruining his/her future. It is sad to think that there are some parents who never really cared about the welfare of their children, and instead of leading them to the right path, they just drag them down.
  16. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

It's utter stupidity to me. Especially considering the fact many children are dependants of their parents and are not necessarily at the point where they can stand up and make independent decisions. By the time they are independent enough, they would've already been exposed to drugs, and even already addicted.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is a sad fact. There are parents who are introducing drugs to their kids whether unknowingly or willingly. Maybe because such kind of parents do not have the capability to think straight or right anymore due to their addiction.
  18. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I know of people who smoke harsh with their children and now their grandchildren. That really bothers me. The children were brought up into it. The two older children today are on all kinds of different drugs and their lives are a complete mess. The youngest daughter doesn't touch it. She seen enough of it growing up. Now the grandchildren are young adults and they smoke with the grandparents. I just don't understand that type of behaviour.
  19. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think that sometimes boundaries between parents and children can be blurred, particularly if the parents are already addicted to drugs, so this is something that they need to be wary about. But I don't think that I could ever accept a scenario when my parents were giving me drugs of any kind, because it just doesn't feel right to me at all. I do believe that some parents take part in incredibly immoral activities, and somebody needs to put a stop to it.
  20. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

In high school I knew a couple of fellow students whose parents did drugs and were aware that their teens did drugs. Whether or not they did drugs together, I am unsure, but I know their parents knew that they did it. It kind of blew my mind at the time, because my parents would have never condoned such behavior in the household I grew up in.

Now that I am an adult who works with teenagers, unfortunately I see patterns of behavior stemming from the parents. There have been numerous times when I thought a teen had a problem with substance abuse, only to find out that their parents have problems of their own that they are dealing with. It is difficult to help teenagers whose parents may be part of the problem. Such teenagers need more positive role models in their lives, as well as positive goals and encouragement from adults to reach those goals.