An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Parents who use marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Carnold23, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I know a couple who has young children and use marijuana.
    As far as I know they are amazing parents, extremely loving and their children are clean and bright. Their children have everything they need and are very well taken care of.
    After they go to bed I know that the parents smoke weed.
    Do you think that this is a bad thing? They don't use while children are awake, and like I said judging by what I have seen they do the best for their children.
    But still, it is a drug. I am torn on how I feel about this and would love some input.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Alcohol is a drug but many parents use it right in front of their kids!
    Judge them by the type of people they are. If they are providing a good home then a little smoke at night isn't the end of the world.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

How bad is smoking marijuana? There are people who say it isn't that bad, others who believe it is. Smoking weed late at night doesn't make one a bad parent. And to be honest, it's not likely that this [the parents smoking weed] will increase the risk of their kids getting addicted to marijuana later in life.
  4. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

The question is whether they are addicted to the marijuana. Is it something they cannot go even one night without doing? If they are just letting off some steam after a really hectic day I wouldn't say they are bad parents. It is not a good practice though because they can eventually get hooked on it.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Well, marijuana is illegal in most places...and alcohol isn't. As a parent, I would never use illegal drugs, especially not in the house where my kids are. But that's just my philosophy.
  6. artyarson

artyarson Active Contributor

It is not bad as long as they use it in moderation. Both, alcohol and marijuana, are capable of destroying the brain. But only the latter considered a drug.
  7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Well, as you've said no matter what the context is, marihuana is still a drug, but in my personal opinion I think that as long as it doesn't affects the children's health/well being and they use it moderately, there's nothing wrong with it.
  8. SPR012

SPR012 Member

I believe that individuals should be judged based on character, not on drug usage as these are personal choices. It sounds like the parents you are describing are loving and do care for their children which is (sadly) better than many parents. What drugs individuals choose to consume do not show a complete, full representation on what kind of individual they are.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I know many many people like this. In fact, most of the people I know do this. I don't really see it as a problem as long as they are sensible about how they do it. Having said that, children don't stay children for long. I would be more concerned about what the children will think once they are old enough to realizewhat's going on. Additionally, when they are older they may be familiar with the smell and therefore may develop the opinion that it must be okay. That smell may also remind them of the warm loving home that they grew up in and therefore they may find marijuana comforting when they are older. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as drinking every night though.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well when it comes to their parenting skills then you can applaud them for that, but when it comes to being a good example then they're not the best parents, even if they try to hide what they are doing to their kids. I think that even if what they are doing is not right, their responsible parenting can make up for their vice, as long as they don't neglect their kids.
  11. Andrea777

Andrea777 Member

My mom is in her 60s, and since retiring she has decided to take up pot. It's pretty irritating, she smokes the day away. Like, she will blow and entire day doing nothing and smoking weed. I have smoked before, but I quit. It's a very uncomfortable feeling being high for me. Watching it from the outside looking in is almost as painful. Like I absolutely know when my mom is high. She can't fool me.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

While I don't think it's right, as long as the kids are not aware of their parents smoking weed, there's no harm done. Things get ugly once the kids know what their parents are doing and start to imitate them. Then, the parents find out their kids are using and start blaming everyone else except themselves.
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm surprised at how many people think this is okay. My opinion is that parents should be the example for how they want their children to behave. That means they should do what's right--legally and morally. Just because the kids are too young to know what's going on, or the parents hide it well, doesn't mean it's acceptable. Parents are the ultimate role models. I'm just curious: If the roles were reversed, would it still be okay? Let's say a teenager is smoking pot, but the parents aren't aware of it because the kid is great at hiding it from them. Is that okay, too? No harm?
  14. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

As long as they don't use it in front of their child and make sure that this habit doesn't affect even 1% in how their child is raised, this doesn't seem to be a problem. It's completely fine if it is a controlled manner and doesn't lead to an addiction.
  15. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

The parents Who do drugs are the worst parents. How can anyone do this to their children. A childchild idolized his parents and by doing drugs one pushes his kids into doing drugs, people like that should not be allowed to procreate.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As for me, yes, what they're doing is bad. Although they are not smoking marijuana in front of their children, as parents, they should be responsible enough to know that it's not a good habit.
  17. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

- In Serbia this is not something that will happen in some amusing way. Marijuana is not a real addictive drug, it is more a recreational one. However, here people who try to quit heroin usually end up smoking marijuana too much and mixing with alcohol and pills. It is not rare this to happen to some younger parents because older think that they will become junkies if they take a smoke of weed. It is disturbing because these young people do not have moderation in using. On the other hand, I have a female friend from Holland who told me a story about her parents buying her a space cake and they ate it together. Now that is a cool story.
  18. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Not a good habit indeed, and also the fact they're trying to hide it isn't really great. But at least they're keeping their children away from the habit. I wonder though if their children will take marijuana one day, what will the parents tell them? Really intriguing.
  19. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

From what your saying here they don't seem to have a problem. Unless what there doing is effecting there life or health in a negative way, it doesn't seem to be a problem. There are parents who drink alcohol in moderation and it doesn't effect there abilities to be parents. I'm wondering how you know what there doing in there bedroom at night LOL.
  20. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Why should pot been seen any different to smoking tobacco. It is frowned upon if parents smoke in front of or near children. I am not in favor of smoking pot I think the side effects are very destructive, I have seen this first hand with a friend of mine and how it can affect the brain. It does destroy brain cells but then again she is a chronic user.