An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Part time smokers...

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by pwarbi, Mar 20, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I used to be a pretty big smoker, 20 a day, but one day i just decided i wanted to cut back. And i did.
    I now only smoke maybe 2/3 a day and even then thats only if i can be bothered to buy them from the shop. Otherwise i can quite happily go a few days without smoking. Which to be honest is a bit strange as then I can hit the weekend and smoke 20 on the saturday and sunday, then stop again on the monday.
    I dont know if i'm lucky to be able to do this or can others just be part time smokers?
  2. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Whether you are a big smoker or a part time smoker there is no such big difference. Both types of smoker smokes cigarettes which is bad for health. It is not the quantity of cigarettes that you are smoking is important but the quality of life it might give to you if you are already addicted to it. The best thing is avoid this thing if you really love your life.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I'll have to disagree with you there. I'm sure people who smoke three times a day have a higher life expectancy and healthier body than those who smoke a pack or more a day. To me, that's the same as saying that if someone has a beer a night they may as well down a twelve case, it's the same thing. That wouldn't really make much sense.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

You're better off smoking 2/3 sticks a day than hitting twenty on a weekend. But statistics aside, the effect of smoking such a large number of sticks will have still remain significant as far as your health is concerned. I would prefer you stop smoking altogether because you've demonstrated that you can stop smoking at will. Only you have the power to decide.
  5. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Part time smoking is difficult as nicotine is highly addictive. However if you can manage this it says great things about your mental health. Are you generally susceptible to addictive behaviour patterns?
  6. pwarbi

So smoking 2 a day is as bad for you as smoking 20?
    Personally I don't see that that's the case. Each to their own but I feel a lot better than I used to plus its saving me a lot of money.
    As for being addicted, I'm nor saying that I'm not, but I can learn to control it a bit more I guess.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@bsthebenster I don't think that the case is always like that...."that those who smokes less has a higher life expectancy compared to those who smokes many". My father had a best friend who smokes 1 to 2 packs a day and now he is 80 years old already but is still strong and I know he is still smoking sometimes at his age now. While my father who smokes less and occasionally before died 10 years ago already. This what I am trying to say in my post. We all had different body mechanisms and how it will respond to the things we are putting into our bodies and I think my father's best friend had a strong immune system compared to my father that is why up to now he is still alive. And there are also cases where there are people who died with lung cancer but are not smokers or do not smoke in their life. And from this point of view it just makes sense to me.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  8. pwarbi

Like the previous post says, there have been a lot of cases of people who have been diagnosed with lung cancer who have never smoked.
    Here in the UK there have been a couple of high profile celebrities that have never smoked but worked in pubs and clubs where smoking was allowed and this is how they've contarcted the disease.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I do this too and some of my friends do as well. I used to smoke around an average of 10 sticks a day or more, but I decided to cut back and I now smoke around 4-5. On some days I will smoke a lot more if I'm at an event, and I try to offset it by smoking a lot less in the succeeding days. I hope to cut down even more in the future where I could just go with one or two a day or none at all. As for some of my friends they only smoke whenever we drink together.
    pwarbi likes this.
  10. pwarbi

How easy have you found it to cut back? At first i found it hard but not as hard as i thought it would be. its gradually got easier and now i'm fine with it.
    Like I said, I did it more for the money aspect of things rather than the health issue which is probably the wrong way to look at it but its worked for me.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Yes of coarse there will be exceptions. There are people who never wear their seatbelt and live into their 90s, that's not exactly the point though. The fact of the matter is that you're generally better off being slightly unhealthy than really unhealthy. On average, light smokers will be better off than full time smokers.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I can relate to what you're saying because I can do that as well, but not 20 in one sitting like you do. I actually just smoke when I feel like it. Then I won't crave it when I run out of cigarettes. I guess I'm just not prone to being addicted to anything in general.
  13. pwarbi

I guess that brings up another debate as in are some people more prone to addiction than others? I think they probably are.
    Going back to smoking though, I think its also a personality thing as well. I've seen the nicest people who have smoked for years, stop smoking altogether and become the most unpleasant person.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If their mood becomes affected when they haven't smoked a cigarette then they might be addicted to it already. Because people who can't smoke or drink alcohol when they want to don't really become mean or unpleasant when they can't have it.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Sorry, but you're utmost wrong. I do agree that smoking is a bad habit whether you do it 3 times or 20 days a day, but the sole difference between those two options, is that the first one is less likely to give you any kind of disease, as the body could manage alone to eliminate the toxins you insert through the day, but the second one is more likely, as there will always be something stuck in your lungs that could ultimately develop not only cancer, but pneumonia and other lung diseases.
  16. pwarbi

As with any substance that people get addicted to the body as a certain limit that it can cope with. That limit will be different depending on the individual of course.
  17. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

I never could understand how people did this, but my father was a part-time smoker. He would go for days without smoking and then when we'd visit him, we'd all sit there and light up for hours. I'd always ask him if he wanted me to leave him some cigarettes, and he'd say, "No thanks.I've had enough." I never had that luxury. When I smoked, I was addicted, and it was hell when I finally quit.
  18. pwarbi

Its funny how it affects people in different ways, I also never used to smoke out in public. Days out, shopping, even went I went on holiday for a week or two, I never took any cigarette's with me and I was fine with that. Soon as I got home though, the first thing I would do was light one up.

I know people that cant go 20 minutes without a cigarettes, let alone 2 weeks...