New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Partner clean but not necessarily better

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by MollyLong, Nov 17, 2017.

1. MollyLong

MollyLong Member

Hello,
    Im a 23 year old mother to a beautiful 6 month old baby girl. My partner was a regular meth user for about 6 years, but because we were mostly long distance, I wasn't aware of the severity of his addiction. Once I found out I left, but found out I was pregnant shortly after. He's been clean off meth for about 7 months now (still smokes weed and drinks daily) but I'm wondering what the long term emotional effects can be? He's become so emotionally unavailable, He's incredibly self centered, doesn't help me with our child hardly at all, we don't connect like we used to, he's terribly lazy, spending most of his time on his phone smoking and drinking. Does this have anything to do with permenant damage done by long term meth use?
    Don't know what to do and feel like we might be better off without him, even though it breaks my heart to think that.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@MollyLong... It's hard to say what the cause of your partner's self-centered behavior is. But I think it's more likely related to his daily weed smoking and drinking than his long-term meth use...especially if he's been off of meth for 7 months.

If I were you, I would ask your partner to take a break from alcohol and pot and see if that changes his behavior. I think it's the least he could do for you and his daughter. And if he's not willing to do that, then maybe you need to start thinking about what's best for you and your baby girl. After all, YOUR lives matter, too. You and your baby should always be at the top of your priority list.

Sending you love, light, and hope.
    True concern and Neveragain29 like this.
  3. Neveragain29

Neveragain29 Member

What he said.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  4. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I'm going to have to say the alcohol is making him unavailable emotionally and the weed is making him lazy
    deanokat likes this.