An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Passive smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amethyst, Nov 30, 2014.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

These days, smoking in public has been much curtailed. Most bars and restaurants in Australia won't allow it anymore. If you are a smoker, you have to go to a designated area outside the premises. Also, smoking near public buildings, such as libraries, churches, etc. is prohibited, and you can get fined for it.
    I am really grateful for these rules and regulations, as I don't like to be exposed to cigarette smoke. But, obviously it can't always be avoided. So, on occasion, I have found myself in situations where I couldn't get away from cigarette smoke. If it's in an open space, I don't care so much, as I can walk away from it, but if it's in an enclosed area, I usually ask the smoking person to please be considerate. At times I have had to face really strong, aggressive reactions from smokers who feel that it's their birthright to smoke whenever and wherever they want.
    How do you feel about uncooperative smokers?
  2. Charles P.

Charles P. Community Advocate

I dont understand why anyone who smokes would be upset about anyone that does not want to be around second-hand smoke. I truly believe that anyone who is uncooperative and cranky about the laws on smoking, more than likely have other issues on their plates. You can't argue that second-hand smoke isn't a thing.
  3. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I used to be a smoker myself but since quitting I get dizzy around cigarette smoke. Here in Canada there is no smoking allowed inside anywhere so I only encounter this kind of problem at parties. If I can't take it I just leave. I am so happy for the anti-smoking laws.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I also used to be a smoker for many years, but somewhat of a "closet smoker". I never liked to smoke in public places, or even around friends. I always preferred a quiet place, such as the bench behind the old shed on our property, where I used to retreat to secretly enjoy 4 minutes of "drifting away from this world".
    I never realized how much the smell of tobacco really sticks to one's skin, hair and clothes until I gave up smoking. These days I can't really abide the odor of cigarettes at all, not to mention the smoke in my immediate vicinity.
  5. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

It's true, when I encounter a smoker in an enclosed space the small that sticks to them really is terrible! No amount of hand washing, gum etc. can take it away. You really have to change clothes and take a shower. I'm so glad I'm not one of those people anymore. I never realized it was so bad when I was a smoker!
  6. Clair

Clair Member

I think respect should be given to the non smoker simply because it is a choice to smoke and studies have revealed that second hand smoke is very dangerous. I do understand that a smoker has to smoke but please it should really be on their own time it's only fair.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Smoking in public is illegal in my hometown. I've lived elsewhere though where people can smoke wherever they please. I worked in the retail then. If anyone lit up inside the store I'd politely ask them to smoke elsewhere. Most of them would comply but a few wouldn't. I'd never sell anything to such uncooperative customers again. Got rid of them once and for all.
    To be honest, does it even matter what one feels if someone believes they have the right to smoke in a public place? I'll just walk away if I can because I'm allergic to cigarette smoke.
  8. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, that's a good way to avoid them who are inconsiderate of other people. If you can walk away, do it. From where I am, I hate it that people do not follow the smoking rule. And the thing is, it is not strictly enforced. So it is the duty of non-smokers to make these inconsiderate lot aware of their sentiments. At least, there are people telling them off. Hopefully, they will realize, especially when many non-smokers tell them to stop, that there are people disgusted with the smell and effects of cigarette smoke and would speak up.

In my case though, I don't remember speaking up. I show my disagreement by covering my nose and staring at them until they stop or walk away. So far, this has been an effective technique to make them stop. A few even apologized or made a sorry gesture, especially when I had kids with me.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm a smoker but I don't mind having these rules set up as long as they are appropriate. For example, I am totally for the rule that it's now illegal to smoke inside malls but I think it should be allowed in bars or at least there should be an area in bars where it is allowed. If there isn't one then I'd still respect it because it's just smoking anyway.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Not everyone who drinks is a smoker and somehow the smoke would still waft into the bar-room if an area [a smoking room] is set aside in the bar for smoking. That would mean that everyone would still be exposed to the cigar smoke. IMO it would be much better if smoking in any public place, inside buildings, etc, was prohibited.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Charli

I'm not too much for mass banning. I say let the businesses decide whatever they want to do with their bar and if non smokers eventually stop going there then they would just have to find a way to bring them back in, but as much as possible businesses should be given the right to regulate themselves instead of constantly giving up more and more responsibilities and power to the government.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

In Hawaii our rules for public smoking is the same. No smoking in public places. If you are at a restaurant or local establishment then you have to go X amount of meters away in a designated spot to smoke. If they (smokers) don't like it, then too bad. Kick them out of the place of business or call the cops on trespassing charges. Simple as that.
  13. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

I don't mind if someone wants to smoke, that's their descision. What annoys me is when smokers are oblivious to people around them who don't want to inhale their smoke.

Not all smokers do this however, (in fact, the majority are very considerate) nevertheless, i think they should still be banned from public places.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

We also have a law here that it is illegal to smoke within 25 feet if a public entrance. I never really minded it because I would get lazy and just not want to go out and smoke. Now I am trying to quit, so I appreciate it when I don't have to smell the smoke.
  15. cassiesevans

cassiesevans Member

I've run into the kind of people that believe it is their right to smoke wherever they like, which is definitely infuriating. It is a choice severely impacting the health of the individual choosing to smoke and should not be forced upon someone who chooses to avoid it. In public places it is easy to defend an argument as to why they should take it elsewhere, but when visiting a smoker, you kind of have to accept that that is their space and you will have to endure it should you choose to go there.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

These people are rude. They want to kill themselves and everyone else around them. Mostly people are aware they need to be courteous. I think its best to just say something or get someone to explain to them. They should not be able to get away with it. It never really bothered me. I remember how people were allowed to do this anywhere they wanted and right in your face. Good thing they've changed that. Might make them think about continuing since it kills you slowly.
  17. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I am a smoker and I always use designated areas to smoke. Not all places have designated smoking areas in which case I just grin and bear it. I am not happy if I hve to told not to smoke in a particular area so I avoid it by not smoking in any area which I am hundred percent sure is a designated area.
  18. Charli

I'm a smoker and I completely agree. Even some of my smoker friends annoy me with their habits. Some of me just don't pay enough mind to their surroundings and they just smoke anywhere even when there are kids around, although fortunately most of the time I see this situation we are at least outdoors. Another one I hate is that they just throw their cigarette butts anywhere. Granted, this has much more to do with their own irresponsible personalities than the smoking itself but it's still very annoying.