An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Patience for family

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by tasha, Feb 15, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Those who love you will be there for you when you come out of recovery and they will not understand you completely but they will be there to support you. When you feel like you want to get angry because they do not understand you be patient because they were patient with you and you have hurt them and taken their trust away. Although you are recovering it does not mean that they have been able to forget what happened and what events took place, so be patient and understand that as you have obsticles to get through so do they.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It can take a while for loved ones you've hurt to start trusting you again. Having realistic expectations will probably stop you from getting frustrated and going back to using drugs becase no one notices "the sacrifice" you made. Take it a step a time. Eventually you can earn back the trust you lost.
  3. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

For sure some of the family members would not be sure if you intend to stay clean or it is just for the show. Some will always bring up what you did to them while you were using drugs. You are not to be mad about it, as they were there for you all along. As much as it will take time to earn their trust, expect that someday you will have your family back.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Patience for me was a huge part of recovery. Both in terms of having patience with myself (realizing that my alcoholism wasn't simply going to be cured in a day!) and also having patience with loved ones, who like you said can have issues with trusting again. It all takes time - and that's okay - as long as you keep persevering and following that road in the right direction.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I remember when I quit smoking, my family took the brunt of a lot of verbal lashings because I was angry from the cravings. I ended up having to learn to just walk away when I was feeling upset and just take a few breaths. Only you know exactly what you are going through because you are the one feeling it.