An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Peace in Nature

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Fern, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I personally find a lot of peace in nature. I find peace hiking, sitting on the dock, with my feet in the sand of the beach. The temptations seem farther away then. Emotionally, I'm more stable. I really wish I was able to get out more often.

Are there others who find comfort in the natural world? Where do you like to be?

Attached Files:

2. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I also find a lot of peace in nature. I like to go for hikes in the morning. It is challenging and I love getting fresh air. The park near me has plenty of trees and the beauty grounds me. Those days spent outdoors feel better than any day inside.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Hiking is the best way to cure just about anything that is bothering you and I think it is very good treatment for someone who is trying to work through an addiction. The air is always so clean and the landscape is full of beautiful life. Right now it is too cold. But I can't wait to go hiking this summer now that I don't smoke.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

I feel that a connection with nature can keep us grounded. Many spiritually strong people get outdoors and connect with nature or meditate. I think it can take you to a different state of mind and is very healthy for you. I like to get outdoors as well, but time and living in the city can make it difficult. Ironically, I live in the city, but a bit into some mountains and we have dealt with bobcats and coyotes, which have also limited my interest to be out doors in this area. I can't be at peace of mind relaxing in nature, if I constantly have the worries of animals in the back of my head.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

As a kid we use to go camping every week. There is nothing going back to nature to reboot and clear your head. I also thought about camping and nature as a way to get clean and sober. I mentioned it here on this forum but I faced a lot of criticism. I still think it would work. Not only for clearing your head, but for other purposes as well.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Joshposh- why did you face critisism for mentioning camping as a way to get clean and sober? That makes no sense, it would be like the perfect place to get clean and sober. You would not have to worry about being around alcohol and drugs and you would get to spend time in a clean and natural place.
  7. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

@Rosyrain - I'm VERY lucky. I'm far enough south that my coldest day in December had a high of 51 and mostly it's been warmer than that. I know there can be addicts anywhere but for me, when I moved south last winter, the milder winter weather really helped me stay active more and happier. I find that being happy helps a lot with my pain tolerance so I need less meds.
  8. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Everything is natural, regardless if it is man-made. However, it has been proven that experiencing life outside the technological realms humans have created and into the outdoors, does improve a humans' health in many ways especially stress. I still go camping a few times a year with my siblings or friends to enjoy time away from all the hubbub of the villages, towns, and cities so encumbered by various frequencies that aren't good to one's health. Heck, even a stroll through the park helps me feel better and more energize for the day!
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I honestly prefer being in the city a lot more. I find myself to be a bit more stressed out when I have to be out camping unless I can be comfortable in a cabin somewhere. Though of course I can still see and feel the relaxing aspects of being in nature and being there with loved ones is a good break from time to time.
  10. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

I love nature, but I think there's a place for everything in this world. I believe in balance and that balance is a personal thing to every single one of us. You can have peace in the city but also the opposite if you seek it or accept it. I do love nature though and the lifestyle that brings. I don't think stress is something anyone should have to accept for more money.
  11. weepforsweep

weepforsweep Member

It is nice to go into the woods and get away from it all. Just staring at a lake is very relaxing. I recommend everybody try to go to a park once a week.
  12. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I love going out to the park, finding a nice tree or shady spot, and getting in a good meditation session. I haven't been able to do it in quite a while because it's been quite cold here in the East Coast, but nature is so peaceful. I do miss it quite a bit. Once the weather starts getting warmer you won't be able to keep me away from the park. I think I'll start venturing out to find bigger and better places too.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I do this as well and I agree, I would recommend it too. I find it difficult to meditate in the traditional way because my mind is just too active so I have difficulty staying put and clearing my head but whenever I hang out at the park I find it to have a similar effect or at least what I assume the effect would be if I were able to successfully meditate.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Camping works well enough for me. Good thing about it is here [where I live] you can couple it up with fishing. There's nothing like sitting on a bank of a river listening to birds chirping away as you patiently wait for the fish to . . .

It certainly can be a good way to fight an addiction. For example if you are camping a little way out of town, you won't have access to alcohol for the weekend. This could motivate anyone to fight. After all if you can without alcohol for two days then it's possible to do without it forever.
  15. fire421

fire421 Member

I have to go outside everyday otherwise I get depressed. Seeing nature makes me happy and purifies my soul. It also helps me manage stress.
  16. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

Yeah I love nature. Have lived in the city for far too long. Thankfully in a few years I'll be out of London so will be surrounded more by nature. I try to get the park when I can, but my nearest is still quite a journey. It's been a while now since I've been come to think of it. Of late, I've woken during the night and heard the birds though my window, which is quite nice too.
  17. globulon

globulon Member

Yes, being anywhere outdoors, regardless of whether its a park or at a beach, is extremely therapeutic! It can be hard to reap the relaxing benefits of nature in a big city. To avoid the crowds, try getting out of the house very early for a nice relaxing sit-down session at the local park. Not only will it be quieter, there's also something comforting about being outside when the sun has just dawned!
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that camping is one of the greatest way to get away from it all and recharge some energy. It doesn't cost much, and it's a unique way to be close to nature in a usually safe environment. Even better is when you have the opportunity to share a tent with an understanding friend with whom you can chat all night if you want. Being in nature, living in a natural environment and communicating with animals and trees helped me a lot.
  19. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Yes, camping is definitely a good idea, especially if it's warm outside (early summer). Sharing a tent with a good friend is a relaxing experience. Keeping away from phones and internet is also a good start. When I go camping I keep my phone in my backpack and only access it to check for calls or stuff like that.
  20. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I must agree that there is something so healing about nature. I live in an estate that is still being developed. There are large open endless lands where one can sit and reflect. Since I work from home, I take a walk every evening to find serenity. I go home feeling good about the world irrespective of how tough my day was.