An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Peer pressure or personal desire?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 21, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Marijuana seems to be more of a social drug. In that way it seems similar to alcohol. You want to partake & laugh with other people rather than alone. It's also a drug that relies on sharing with others. It's rare everyone rolled a blunt & is smoking one a piece individually when in a group.

So, when you started smoking was it due in any way to peer pressure or did you have a personal desire to try it & seek it out yourself? I was wondering which of the two was behind the reason you tried marijuana at all? If it was a personal desire were you the one who influenced others to try it with you?
  2. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I never really thought much about weed until someone handed me a joint. I just went "thanks!" and hit it. I never really sought it out, but I was aware of the fact that it's not as bad for you as alcohol and I was already drunk at the time so I guess I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I love the stuff. Currently have a prescription for it for a LEGIT medical condition and it helps me function way better than any pharmaceutical pills would.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think that in my case it was probably a little bit of both. There was so much of the stuff around when I was in my younger days and so many of my friends smoked it that I was always around the stuff. I didn't really have anything against it but didn't smoke it at first myself, then after a few drinks I gave in and thought well, trying it just to see what it's like isn't going to hurt. I have never encouraged anyone else to try it though unless they specifically wanted to.
  4. For me it was consistent peer pressure from a person close to me that started it. It turned into personal desire over time.

I'm no longer in a co-dependecy situation with it. It helped me a lot to separate from the person who seemed to have to have it all the time. A person who would take it so personal when I didn't want to do it with them. They were toxic for me. I did go through personal bouts of binging on it for a week or two, then not having it for weeks or months and doing just fine.

It depends on what is going on in my life. In easy, good times, especially financially, I would fall into it again. I've matured from wanting it in low times or transitional periods. I know I need to keep a clear head to stay on top of things during those times. Breaking away helps me make strides in my life and save me money.

I'm in a transitional period now where I have good things to look forward to. Right now at this moment I feel like I could never smoke it again and I'd be just fine. I want to hold on to this feeling.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It was a bit of both for me too. I never saw anything wrong with it because it was always around. My brother smoked it, as did my friends. I asked a friend if I could try some and went on from there.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I smoked weed out of curiosity, and since it was available to me, I bought it. My classmates bragged that they have it, but they don't want to share it, they just tell that they smoked weed the other day, etc. or they have weed in their car, but they never share it. So I bought my own. I never got addicted to it, but I love how it makes me happy over the smallest and silliest things when it kicks in. But it made my appetite larger than usual too. And it's such a downer afterwards.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I tried it because I was offered it by my friends at a party. I mean I grew up watching my parents smoke it all the time, but I never wanted to smoke it. In fact I told myself to not smoke it because I saw what it did to my parents. But my friends were the ones that got me to try it. But in the end I did it maybe 3 times in my whole life and I never took to it. I never liked it and I haven't looked back.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've heard many stories and for my friends, I guess it's a bit of both. They all grew up together whereas I met them later on and at the time they were just at the right age to be curious enough about it and also have access to it. They still smoke now but it doesn't affect their behavior much as they are still very responsible and outgoing, even after more or less a decade of smoking.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

In my area, marijuana is mainly smoked by the old people. Youth are not much affected but most smoke it secretly.Marijuana is mostly trafficked since it can be available locally. Most have admitted to having the first puff from their grandfather.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

What could you see it doing to your parents, if you don't mind me asking?

I find that quite odd. However, I did go to college with one boy whose father was a police officer that grew it and smoked it himself. He would let his son (i.e. the boy I went to college with) smoke as much of it as he wanted and would give it to him for free.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon it may be done to feel accepted and may see in movies how it does not do anything to the person, which may at the time look good but there will be consequences like broken relationships and families or friends. I know someone who started using it due to friends and resulted in him doing robberies and even from his own home which resulted in banished from his family as keeping him the house is was not a good thing to do so letting him leave was the best choice his family did. Most of the time the person does not know how to fund the habit and will result to robbing and doing what it takes to get the drugs and lose their life in the process.
  12. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

In my case, not peer pressure, I reckon. I know because my friends in high school smoked and invited me to partake many times, and it was a thing at parties, but I upheld my principles of "I don't take drugs" because I was led to believe it was a big deal.

One party though, I was bored and thought, might as well try it. I had two tokes, caughed a bit, did not really enjoy it much. So, whatever, did not get high, no big deal, no big fun.

I did smoke only in social situations after though. Would sit with a bunch of hippies passing a joint around and it felt like those old Indians scenes where they passed the peace pipe and became all friends, so I enjoyed the ritual more than the substances. No pressure, just a fun to be joining. Then one time it made me high and I loved it. Then later, it made me trip bad, and I did not like it and did not smoke much at all at all.

So I am happy to say I did satiate my curiosity more than bent under pressure and did whatever I wanted to do. Not a bad thing overall.
  13. p4lse

p4lse Member

It definitely was peer pressure. I didn't want to feel left out while all my friends were doing it. Eventually, I realized this and became clean.
  14. Coltodor

Coltodor Member

It can be both. Some people smoke hanging out with friends and for other people it personal. It depend on who using it.
  15. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think it may be a combination of both but I think peer pressure and needing to fit in will be the leading cause. In societies where certain drugs are not readily available, you don't see people seeking out the drug to try it. It all leads down to what you see others doing and feeling a need to fit in.
  16. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I've never done it (and never will) but it's definitely a mixture of both peer pressure and personal desire. The idea of fitting in with your peers in a sense could be seen as a personal desire. So if your friends smoke weed, you may have the "personal want" to do the same.

Normally, it depends on how weak your will power is that will dictate if you'll fall to the peer pressure or not.
  17. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I think it was a bit of both. Just kinda happened, though.
    rightct likes this.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The first time I tried marijuana was when I was 15 years old. I smoked a joint with a close friend in a quiet forest near our hometown. It was the first and last time that I smoked weed with another person. I always preferred to smoke marijuana alone, as its effect on my mind were very intense, and I wanted to be alone to explore my feelings and thoughts. I often drew my impressions on paper, or wrote down the things that I perceived during these altered states of consciousness.
  19. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Did it give you intense anxiety or something? Or could you not connect with people in that state?
  20. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I didn't want to connect with other people, I just wanted to enjoy the effects of marijuana on my consciousness alone. And I did for a number of years. I've never been a big marijuana user, it's too strong for me. It stimulates me too much.