An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Peer pressure or personal desire?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 21, 2015.

1. amyyoh

amyyoh Member

It was definitely a social thing for me when I smoked. It was fun to get silly and a little out-of-mind with good friends. It became a personal desire thing though - I would feel awkward and anxious and just want to smoke to relax and get out of my mind a little bit.
  2. It's a personal desire for me. To me, it's like having a beer at the end of the day. It's great to unwind with, but has the potential for abuse if it gets out of control.
  3. calvintysm

calvintysm Member

When I first started smoking, I was peer pressured into by a friend I have not seen for a long time. We were both bored with nothing to do so he decided to get a smoke. I had no idea what it was and to be honest, I was quite afraid. After seeing him inhaling it, I started to want to try it, just so that I could see for myself what it would do.

After trying it, I loved it. I loved the taste and smell of it and I loved that flavor you get in your mouth. Fast forward 2 years, I was an addict and I had to stop myself as it was ruining my life. So, I consulted with an expert and I made sure that I would never smoke again.
  4. Ruximeh

Ruximeh Member

I started smoking because some friends I trusted introduced me to it, but I really prefer to smoke alone, as I feel like I'm wasting the high with other people when I could be thinking about the universe and stuff by myself on my little bubble. I still like to get high with my buddies, but doing it alone is so much better!
  5. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

For me, smoking marijuana was a personal desire. I would see others do it and notice their actions while they were high. Even though I would sit around others while they were smoking, I was never peer pressured into doing it. Actually, people were surprised when they found out that I wanted to start smoking. I always knew that I would drink, but I never thought that I would smoke. I became so addicted to smoking, that I didn’t even need to smoke with anyone else. I wanted to smoke alone so that I could get extremely high. I used it as an escape to get away from the reality of the world. It made me happy and took my mind off of all of the crazy thoughts I would always have. I wouldn’t encourage others to smoke, but I will talk about the feeling that it gives me. If people decide to do it, then that is on them. Even though I do not smoke anymore, I do miss that feeling.
  6. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I was always surrounded by a ton of peer pressure to smoke marijuana when I was younger but I never tried it as a kid in a peer pressure setting. I had a high set of moral expectations for myself. I didn't want to end up like certain family members who were loser addicts. I also sort of compared smoking weed to smoking cigarettes and the 2 just seemed repulsive to me. I was either 17 or 18 when I finally tried smoking weed with my boyfriend at the time. I trusted him and was curious. It was not due to peer pressure and it was on my terms. I didn't/don't particularly enjoy the way it makes me feel. I get dizzy easily and it seemed to encourage that.

All in all I think people get hooked mostly because of peer pressure. I luckily was not one of those people.
  7. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Same here. I grew up with it around me all the time. I hated the smell of it and I hated the way my parents acted. I've maybe tried it 3 times in my entire adult life. It just doesn't have a good effect on me. Makes me have the spins.
  8. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Many people, including myself, started smoking weed out of curiosity startled by peer pressure. I mean, when someone offers you weed, and furthermore, for free, nobody's ever going to refuse this kind of offer, especially after the good things we hear about weed and what health advantages it gives you. At least, this is what happened to me, a few years back, when I was kind of forced to try weed if I didn't want to leave my only group of friends. I told to myself nothing bad could've happened, and it didn't, but I kind of regret that I was forced to take it, and that it didn't come out of simple desire.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

A little bit of both, actually. My friends always used to smoke marijuana when we were teens because it was cool and everyone did it, so I got curious about this substance. I didn't get why people were smoking it so I got tired of guessing and decided to try it for once.
    Luckily I didn't get addicted, but I wasn't too far from it.
  10. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

It was a bit of both. I had my own interest in trying it, because so many people made a big deal about it. Also, since I was 15 I had no idea where to get it, so I never bothered trying to get it. However, my friend had got his hands on a gram of some weed. I can't remember the name, but since he was smoking it in his bathroom combined with my own interest in the drug, I decided to try it. That was 5 years ago. Luckily, I stopped smoking weed completely, because it never helped me become the strongest version of myself.
  11. cheeto

cheeto Member

I felt internally pressured since all of my friends smoked and I didn't and I always wondered why. After asking myself enough times I ran out of good reasons and my personal curiosity took over and I eventually tried it.
  12. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Personal Desire. It was never because someone forced me to do something. That's not my personality, nor would I give in. One time, maybe, it was Peer Pressure - only because it was passed in front of me, I tried it because I heard all this "Talk" about how it's good and how it's bad. I had to see for myself. After that, it was Personal Desire. I no longer needed my rose colored glasses, and I saw it for what it was.

Then it became an addiction, not mentally or needing it but to my pocketbook funds. It ate away. So Personal Desire can be mixed at times with both peer pressure and addiction, but mainly I find pot is smoked because of Personal Desire. No pot user is going to go "HEY SMOKE THIS NOW" with their stash. They may share, if you're also a smoker. But it's never just thrust in front of you for fun. At least, not in my experience. You have to find it. Acquire it. Smoke it. And because of this, nobody around here would pressure into smoking their pot. Heh.
  13. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I had a personal desire to find out what marijuana was like. I would sit around others while they smoked marijuana, but they never tried to peer pressure me into doing it. One day I just decided to give it a try and I liked it. I would still be smoking today if I didn't get a taste of bad marijuana. I actually thought I was going to die. I miss the feeling of being high even though I do not smoke anymore.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I had this struggle once before and I realized that most of my fear of it came from being uninformed and also partly because of all the bad propaganda it has garnered in the past decades. The first time I was introduced to it I never even knew it existed even though I've probably glanced and forgotten about it in some movies. Eventually I came to understand it and now I'm not scared of it anymore at all and instead see it as being more beneficial to society than detrimental, if at all.
  15. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

For me, I always had a desire to try it. I didn't try it until I was with friends who also wanted to smoke, though. I never sought to do it by myself before I started and I have still never smoked by myself. I think that for me, it was a social thing, but it was also something that I did because I wanted to. I never felt pressured to do it, but I prefer doing it with others and sharing the experience with others.
  16. Shimus

I don't think I'd ever have allowed peer pressure to get to me, I never had a huge crowd of friends, and I was never the most popular so I don't think I'd ever have been in a situation where it was forced on me, and I didn't party much. I was a boring gamer lol.

But, I realize when in a crowd you feel the desire to give in to 'look cool' and be part of the status quo. I can get that; but you shouldn't conform to someone else. Do it willingly or not at all.
  17. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

My experience with this is that some are more drawn in through peer pressure than anything. A person at that age has the desire to do greater things.
  18. Shimus

True, or to 'impress' people/friends. You can act outside how you normally would because everyone encourages it. That's the pressure part.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I was somehow influenced by my friends, but I also had a strong personal desire before meeting them, as I heard it was "interesting" and had "interesting effects". Some close friend who was a dealer gave me some so I rolled a blunt in my bedroom. Well, it really was interesting but I will never do it again. And that friend also quit it, and is now living a healthy life.
  20. j1ckh441

j1ckh441 Member

I'm pretty sure it's both. Some people want to do marijuana because their friends are doing it, and they don't want to be left out, and they want to do it as well so that they can fit in with everyone else and look cool. Some people do it because they want to feel happy. Maybe they're going through a stage in their life where everything is depressing for them, and they want to smoke weed to get out of this depression or something. That's why these are doing it. Some people do it because of both, and they feel like they're killing two birds with one stone.