An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Peer pressure or personal desire?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I know a lot who fall into your "Two birds with one stone' category, @j1ckh441

It's sad that they've let it dictate their lives to that extent. When I used heavily, I didn't need it - I wanted it, and spaced it out to small bowls over a day instead of being 'baked' all the time. Some people also feel like that as well I've found and it's not healthy either. Only after I stopped did I realize what was going on.
  2. panda

panda Member

I've never been coerced into smoking weed. When I did it, it was my own decision. I feel like high school puts too much emphasis on peer pressure being the main cause of drug addiction.
    Maybe it's just because I was surrounded by good people? If I said I'd rather not do it, they wouldn't ostracize me or anything.
  3. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Same here. Someone handed me, I said why not, always wanted to try. I wasn't that high first time, but I liked the feeling.
  4. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

In my opinion, using marijuana is mostly peer pressure but it could also be some of a personal desire. I have been peer pressured to try it out but I always say no because I do not want to give in, but I know many people who have given in. There are some cases where it is a personal desire, for example, when there is a patient that is in so much pain, the doctor can sometimes give the patient medical marijuana if the patients pain is unbearable.
  5. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

My peers got the idea that smoking was alright since they would do it around me. It was my personal desire however, that finally got me to start smoking cannabis for recreational use.
  6. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

People are afraid the first time they take marijuana, which is amplified if the respective leaf is taken in a county where it's prohibited and you could even be jailed for it. I guess that's a mixture between peer pressure and personal desire.