An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Peer Pressure

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by slattery2u, Apr 30, 2015.

1. slattery2u

slattery2u Member

Peer Pressure can sometimes be the reason that most people start drinking. I know because that is the reason that I began drinking and ever since that day I have spent a lot of time and money on something that I regret.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I remember when I was 15 years old I was at a party. I saw my friends drinking a beer and I thought it was cool. So I tried it and I haven't stopped fro about 20+ years. It was because my friends. So yeah, I can honestly say the peer pressure is one the main reasons why we start drinking alcohol.
  3. Frnco10

Frnco10 Member

Absolutely true. I am equally a victim of indulging in alcohol abuse due to peer pressure. And the most painful thing is that i just cant explain clearly why i did drink my first bottle! I regret it to date!
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think peer pressure is probably one of the more common reasons that people start drinking, especially when growing up.

As a teenager you want to fit in with others and care more about what people say and think.
  5. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

This is why I always believe that you must choose your friends wisely. And just because everybody is doing it, doesn't mean you should. Be wise.
  6. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Stay away from people who would influence you do such things. There are lots of fake friends in this world and those who will get you in trouble with substance are the ones you should be wary of.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The way parents can't lose their kids to friends is to establish the kind of bonds not even adolescence can break. If kids learn to do the right thing from their parents, they'll have the ability to withstand the negative influence of friends. That's the only way kids can be kept from caving in to peer pressure. Teaching kids about the negative effects of drugs when they are still very young can also be a little helpful.
  8. DCMY

DCMY Member

I agree strongly that peer pressure is a great influence on many substance abuse issues. Schools in my country have projects which show off the bad sides of alcohol and many other substances but I know that few kids actually take their time to look at it or take it seriously. I think that new methods to prevent alcohol should be implemented, both in the educational system and in the house. That is another topic to talk we are talking about peer pressure. It is very hard to resist peer pressure and generally the affect of the environment. If someone who is thinking about starting to drink, please think about it again. Do not do it just because someone you know if doing it. When I was on a trip with my classmates they got heavily drunk and made fun of me for refusing to drink. In the end I turned out to be the bigger man. There is scientific proof that small doses of alcohol can help your health but it is very addictive and easy to get. If you read the previous posts you will see that it isn't a joke. Who is cooler? A person who will have to get a liver transplant due to severe alcohol issues or a person who lives a healthy life?
  9. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Oh yes, that is one of the strongest reasons to start drinking. Unfortunately, especially during the teenage years, we usually can't expect people to be independent enough to not follow their peers, "best friends forever" and all their close people if they drink. It becomes a way of "bonding" with the other person... "See, we re doing the same thing together. See, we are cool!" That's why I think that it's essential to try and build a strong confident personality as early as possible. This way you are not that easily brought to the dark side.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree that peer pressure can really trigger alcohol addiction.
    Personally I do not let the pressure from peer to force me into drinking. I have tasted those drinks just to know the taste and I think good thing that I do not like it so, I do not drink any of those alcoholic beverages.
  11. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Misery loves company. When a drunken friend wants to hang out and talk about their problems, that's a recipe for disaster. That usually leads an invite to drink with friends and talk about their problems. Then it becomes a daily thing and the problems never go away.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The things people do because of peer pressure. I often ask myself when and how it happened that we think we have to do what others do just to fit in. Of course, nobody likes to be alone, but why don't we have a natural instinct to be part of communities or groups that suit our personality better? Many have to learn the hard way, getting involved in certain activities and adopting behavior that literally goes against their grain, before they come to the realization that they are on the wrong path. I guess it's all a learning process.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

This is probably the sole one, too. I honestly am not aware of people who started drinking out of pleasure; all of them were simply introduced to alcohol by other people. And from there on, there isn't only alcohol which is being introduced, but also drugs, which is even more unfortunate.
    Peer pressure is just wrong, but falling for it is even more wrong. But what can we do? Trying to impress lies in our instinctual behavior.
  14. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I do believe that, even though I am not an alcoholic, my friends pressure me to drink a lot. I sometimes want to save money and they moan at me for not going out with them so I do go out and then I regret it.. silly I know
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

Hmm, I've never been the kind of guy to fall for social pressure, I've always done what I like. It never really mattered to me if I fitted in or not. But, hey, that's me. I know most people do things they don't really want to do just for fear of not fitting in and being rejected. In teenagers is a lot worse than with adults, because kids are usually a lot more dependant on people. It all comes down to the type of friends you've got. Whatever type of friends you've got, there's a good chance you'll end up doing most of the things they do, and if they drink or do drugs, you'll probably end up doing it too.
  16. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I understand, peer pressure is something that can make us do a number of things that we may not be proud of in the future. I for one try my best to not give in to peer pressure, but to do that you have to risk your social status and it takes a pretty deep hit. In high school all of my friends began drinking and when I saw just how crazy they were when the were drunk, I made sure to stay away from all intoxicants as best to my ability as possible. I will admit that my alcohol limit is extremely low though. I had a chocolate cake drenched in alcohol and I became drunk!
  17. RHill

RHill Member

I suspect that a lot of teenages want to drink alcohol and don't drink simply to fit in with their group. I, for one, was curious and drank with friends because I wanted to. You might ask why I wanted to, and i think it was typical teenage curiosity more than anything. Perhaps my introduction to alcohol was less forced than is normal.