An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Penn & Teller episode of Bullsh@t! - Alcoholics Anonymous

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by OhioTom76, Nov 1, 2014.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I am not sure if we can post videos here or not, and I was having a little trouble finding the full episode on Youtube, but I know it's out there.

If you are not familiar with their show "Bullshit!", magicians Penn & Teller pick common topics and do an expose on them to get at the heart of what they are all about. Often times they are debunking stuff such as quack psychics, or tackling censorship and other issues.

One episode they did focused squarely on Alcoholics Anonymous. It's a very good episode and worth watching to get a better understanding of what the organization is really all about and how they operate. One of the more surprising things is that they refuse to publish their success rates, and Penn & Teller had a hell of a time finding out what they really are - which you may or may not be surprised when you find out too.
    rabst likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Is there a recovery program you prefer, @OhioTom76 ?
    Alcoholics Anonymous isn't for everyone.
    rabst and Determined2014 like this.
  3. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I second you on that one Alcoholics Anonymous is not everyone.
  4. leahcim132

leahcim132 Member

Obviously, AA isn't for everyone. However, I have a family member who did AA with great results. On the other hand my friend went through it and absolutely hated it. So yes, it may work and it may not work.
  5. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Definitely, Penn and Teller touch on some very awesome topics and I love their show. I definitely agree that AA is not for everyone, but it definitely does not mean that it's not effective. I think the people who started this program just wanted to help people, and the AA has succeeded somewhat.
  6. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Alcoholics anonymous helped a friend of mine to stop drinking, someone who used to drink like a fish before he went into the program. Like someone here wrote, they are trying to help people at AA, but the world is not perfect, and process is not perfect. If someone finds that AA works for them, that's great, if not, there are other programs out there that can help.
  7. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I agree that alcoholics anonymous is not for everyone. They have a very religious slant and obviously if your not religious it may not feel right. I love penn and teller's bullshit and I agree with them most of the time but please remember it's a tv show and they can be a bit sensationalist. They need to make the show interesting so it's possible they are throwing around some bs of their own.
    rabst likes this.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I know of this show and I like it. I also vaguely remember watching this episode but I've already completely forgotten about it and now I want to rewatch it again. I've always been skeptical of AA, honestly, because from what I understand they require you to give in to some sort of religion or higher power so to speak, and I'm not entirely in agreement with that philosophy, but if it helps some people then I will just have to wait until a better option pops up before I completely dismiss it.
    rabst likes this.
  9. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Therapy/Rehab itself all depends on the person. You can't just say that something isn't on the up and up because some people would just prefer if somethings were kept private. Honestly, I think it's better that way, especially when the whole point of the expose was to uncover some kind of "bullshit."
    rabst likes this.