An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

People do fall dependent on Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Brem, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Brem

Brem Member

I've smoked Marijuana in my day, thankfully I have never become addicted to it. I do know some people who seem to need it. Someone I know on a personal level actually smokes quite a bit, almost every single day, and gets overly crabby if she doesn't get to smoke. Addiction can occur if one becomes dependent upon on it. Marijuana has been known to help with depression, anxiety (also heightens it for some) and other medical conditions. But sometimes taking so much means it's less useful and therefore some people need to smoke more.

Anyways, just remember, that even Marijuana can be addictive.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

It's great to hear that you did not get addicted to Marijuana, what a relief! Thank you so much for speaking up, I know a lot of people who smoke Marijuana constantly, thinking it's just like cigarette. They just didn't know the harm it can give people. This reminder would definitely help people understand Marijuana more.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Brem,
    Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you included it also heightens depression/anxiety for some people. We were just talking about this the other day. Anyway, you might like this article. I thought it was pretty interesting. A lot of things I didn't know.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I had just talked to someone on this message board about his marijuana addiction and he was addicted for like 15 years. I am glad you have not became addicted to the drug.
  5. Sarah

Sarah Member

My soon to be ex partner is addicted to cannabis. It's all he wants to do when I met him it was ok as I smoke too and he pretended to be someone else. But then as the months went on I realised it was a problem. He can't cope without it in fact he is at his friends right now smoking. He has told me awful lies to get money for it. We had to move house because he owed money for it. Whenever he has any money that's what he spends it on he has had one proper job in two years and even then he didn't pay rent. He has also stolen from me. I have sole responsibility of rent, bills and shopping and I have had enough. Sorry rant over.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. People get addicted to all kinds of stuff, and marijuana is one of the easier ones to get into. I think it's a misconception that it's not addictive, but I personally don't think that the fact that it's addictive is the main argument for saying it is a bad substance, since anyone can still function even under the influence of it. It's just that some people don't get used to that type of usage or don't choose to.
  7. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

While it is a fact that marijuana isn't addictive from a chemical point of view, it's definitely true that some individuals can develop a psychological dependence. Just like alcohol isn't addictive but you see people who get drunk every day, the same thing can happen to heavy marijuana smokers.
  8. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I smoke daily, but I only smoke before bed (majority of the time). One thing I can say, is that I never sit here during the day with the urge to actually be smoking. It's just a part of my evening routine.
  9. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Thanks for sharing this with us. Marijuana, as far as I know, can only create addiction if used daily for a very long period. I know a lot of people who uses it for recreational purposes but very few who are really addicted.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana can be addictive for people who find themselves in stressful situations almost every day. They could get themselves addicted trying to 'cope with the situation' if it helps and find themselves unable to quit even when they don't have to deal with stress-related issues.

p.s Some people [in a number of countries] even believe superstitions that weed can drive away evil spirits from their homes so to keep them out, they have to be smoking a joint almost all the time.
  11. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

I would be careful with that. Marijuana blocks B Waves, which is what your brain produces during REM sleep. You need REM sleep in order to transform the short term memories of the day into long term memories. In other words, if you smoke marijuana before bed you will not enter REM sleep (until you come down from the marijuana), and you will have trouble remembering things the next day.
    420nosmoke likes this.
  12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I suppose you can get addicted to just about anything, so to that extent it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone became addicted to weed. Many of my pro-weed friends like to constantly point out how weed is not addictive like cocaine or alcohol. But at the same time they continue to smoke it over and over again and have never really made an effort to quit - so how do they really know they are not addicted themselves?

The first couple of years that I smoked cigarettes, I was still living at home with my folks so I obviously could not smoke at home, nor could I smoke all day while I was in classes, so I never really considered myself addicted because I was fine throughout most of the day without smoking. It wasn't until another year or two later that I realized how habitual it had become and that I was in fact addicted.

I even got addicted to the ice dispenser at my workplace, lol. Now I cannot drink anything, including water, unless it's topped off with fresh ice at all times. My friends complain every time I come to visit them that they have to make extra ice cubes in advance of me arriving.
  13. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I have several friends who are addicted to marijuana but they refuse to admit it. They smoke first thing in the morning and again at night. They hardly leave their homes when they have free time. Unfortunately because of this I do not see them often.
  14. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Marijuana is addictive. I used to smoke marijuana a lot daily. The main reason I smoked it was because it made me forget about the issues that were going on in my life. That feeling of being high was wonderful and I would forget about everything else. I have not smoked in two years because I had a bad experience with marijuana. I felt like I was about to have a heart attack. I sometimes think about going back to marijuana but I realized that if I could go this long without it, then I do not really need it. That goes to show that it is addictive because I still crave it two years later.
  15. Clair

Clair Member

I too know alot of people who are dependent on marijuana. Some have to smoke in order to get hungry and be in a good mood; others have purchasing marijuana as a priority in their life which can sometimes lead to criminal activity. I have and never will smoke I've been around it all my life it really just sickens me
    never tempts me.
  16. MandaMom12

MandaMom12 Member

I believe my boyfriend has quite a dependency on marijuana. It worries me because we have a baby on the way and I'm scared that he/she will discover what Dad does and then think it's okay for them to get into his stash and do the same thing. I want to have a talk with him about it, but don't know how to bring it up. I realize it is so widely accepted now, and I have even smoked quite a time or two.. I just hope he'll wisen up and slow down by the time the little one gets here.
  17. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

We have discussed this in our company and in our substance abuse courses at school. It does not seem to be as much of a physical addiction as it is a mental addiction, which is just as difficult if not more difficult to overcome. It's just like with kicking the habit of smoking. After seven days, the nicotine is no longer in your system and physical withdrawals are gone, but you are still fighting all those mental habits. If you are using marijuana as a self-medication for other mental issues issues, this becomes a two-fold problem where the marijuana problem has to be treated, then the problem that started the marijuana problem has to be treated. So, yes, we diagnose marijuana addiction, it's just not so much in the tradition sense.
  18. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

What jbepp says. I've smoked marijuana regularly for years. I never feel any physical symptoms when I don't smoke it for a while but I would agree that there is some sort of psychological dependence going on that keeps me going back to it.
  19. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

I tell you what, I used to smoke a lot of weed when I was a teenager. I mostly did it because I have an anxiety disorder and it made school easier to handle. I was Agoraphobic and hated being stuck in a classroom. I figured all this junk out later. Now, I have a spinal cord disease that causes a lot of pain. I find myself wishing I could just sit down a smoke a joint. 15 years later I still want to do it. That mentality is still there. There is something very psychological about it.
  20. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Oh getting addicted to marijuana is a definite possibility. Anything that releases a high amount of dopamine has that possibility.