An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

People do fall dependent on Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Brem, Oct 12, 2014.

1. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I strongly doubt that marijuana causes any addiction itself but our will to experience its effects endlessly. Though, I understand your point, and I'm glad that you haven't become addicted to it whatsoever, as it can cause major health problems if taken excessively.
    I remember that when I used to take marijuana, I would develop a lot of tolerance over time, and that I didn't truly feel like I needed it anymore, as I got used to the effect and became rather dreary. I was obliviously spending money for a few minutes of ephemeral joy; I had never experienced such a high extent of ennui.
    Anyway, just be careful to not fall for other more dangerous drugs, like nicotine and even alcohol!!!
  2. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

People don't get addicted to marijuana they just hate their life. When a individual hates their life of course they continuously smoke weed all the time. It's the only release that they have. It's not necessarily an addiction it's kind of a necessity at the moment until things get better for them.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Of course some people do fall dependent on marijuana, otherwise it would be legal by now. I used to smoke marijuana too, but I do not have an addictive personality, so I did not crave for it. Sadly, that is not the case for other people, so they get addicted. The fact that weed is addictive is the sole reason why it can't be fully legal and can only be given in controlled doses in some US states.
    Shimus likes this.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Pretty much what Serenity just said. It's all in the personality of the user, to be honest. I wouldn't be addicted, nor do I fall dependent on it, but I loved it and used it daily all the same. No different than a tobacco user and their cigarettes, I used mine as a destresser. But people can get used to the feeling it generates and fall dependent on it - I've had too many friends lose themselves (and their pocketbooks) to their addiction and watch their lives ruined. It all just differs from person to person to be completely honest.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

One of my friends was addicted to marijuana, and he was also a dealer. He made me smoke it once as well, it felt nice but I didn't feel like I had to do it again. It's good that my friend is now a healthy, recovering individual. He has a healthy diet, and exercises daily. I'm proud of him.
  6. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I never have fallen dependent on it, even when I heavily smoked. It was one of the few drugs I consumed that I felt no need or dependency. Now think, chemicals, pills, stuff like that - they are going to mess you up, create a big hook for that chemical and create dependency. Now, if you only smoke and don't eat edibles or do things of that nature, I find no need to continually smoke. Sure, it was/is nice to continually smoke. But there is no need and it's abuse.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Well you are speaking to the converted. I know how addictive marijuana can be and I have seen it firsthand with family and friends. I still get those who see it as harmless and not addictive.
  8. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It can occur when they could be down, and also it can happen when a person believes it is the way to survive and also it can be good to try as well. The person, uses money and time as well and also it can be draining on them and they don't realize it and rely on it too much. A person should try, to be around positive people and with good motivation they will be able to get away from this and away from this drug.