New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

People that get other people hooked

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by primalclaws1974, Dec 9, 2014.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I want to say that I am not a smoker, nor have I ever been, but almost all of my family and friends are current or former smokers. With that being said, I cannot think of many things more vile than someone who gets another person hooked on smoking. My wife's aunt got her started when she was 14. My grandma had not smoked all her life, but my grandpa was an alcoholic and kept pushing alcohol and cigarettes on her. Compound this with others telling her it was a way to relax, and she picked up that habit at 43 years old! Have you known "cigarette-pushers"?
  2. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Wow, I have to say I'm pretty lucky that I never met anyone who was a cigarette pusher. Most of the smokers I know constantly talk about how bad it is for you, and how they want to quit and actively warn others not to start. Even if there are pushers, people do have to take an individual responsibility. I can understand when young people are naïve enough to start but it boggles my mind when I see people start in adulthood when they are fully aware of the dangers.
    primalclaws1974 likes this.
  3. primalclaws1974

It's not always the case, but a lot of times peer pressure from teenagers get people to try it. They keep doing it so they look cool to their friends. I never fell for peer pressure. There were a few times people would call me a "wuss" or a "square", but even in the late 80's I knew it was something to stay away from.
  4. LifeM1

LifeM1 Member

I'm personally disgusted with people who try to push smoking onto others. In my honest opinion, it's a horrible, nasty thing to happen to someone. Far, far worse for you than drinking if you ask me. I like to think most smokers are at least self aware enough that their smoking is just draining away their wallets and health and know not to push it onto non smokers. I've personally not known any pushers of this substance, but I also skipped public highschool so that is probably why.
  5. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Maybe it has something to do with where I grew up (Canada) but there was never any type of direct peer pressure for smoking cigarettes or drugs. I guess I was lucky because it seems to happen in other places. I'm not saying there wasn't an unspoken pressure but no one ever called me names or taunted me to smoke or do drugs.
  6. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

It looks like pressuring someone and peer pressure could lead someone to begin smoking just to get them to leave you alone. With me it started with stress, I'd quit when the stress was gone then back at again when the stress came back.
  7. Exposing a teenager to cigarettes and encouraging them to start is absolutely reprehensible. However, a 43 year old woman in full possession of her faculties really can blame nobody but herself for starting the habit. She is not an impressionable teenager and with all the information out there about how damaging it is there are simply no excuses.
  8. primalclaws1974

Nemesiasundrops, this was in the late 60's. I don't think they even had surgeon general warnings then. Cigarette commercials were not banned until 1971. Still, I would think people could see that cigarettes were damaging their health, and the people around them. I would also like to think that age doesn't necessarily equate to being impressionable or not. I am not making excuses, although I probably look like I am. She smoked until her late 70's, when she was put on oxygen. At least she quit then. I see people with portable oxygen that still smoke. That's messed up on a variety of levels.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There was this gardener who was employed by my old man. He [the gardener] was 20ish at that time. He was a smoker and somehow he managed to get my brother, 15 or so at that time, to start experimenting. I'd see the gardener urging him to take a whiff and though I was pretty young at that time [kids can be curious] he let me have a puff too. I did, hated it and never tried tasting the cigars again. The gardener kept sharing his cigars with my brother and when he was fired some years later my brother didn't drop the habit . . . till now.

Parents should be careful who they hire to work in their homes because those employees can be a bad influence to their kids.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Both of my parents were smokers and they never pushed it on me. I never took to it after years of watching them smoke in front of me. But they also drank a lot in front of me. Now that did get pushed on me when I was young. They thought it was ok for me to have a drink or two. Eventually that grew with time and teenage years. Rebellion set in and I took to drinking in high school. And the rest is history.
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

A lot of the influence in my family has more so been passive, I think. No one has ever directly pushed cigarettes on anyone but I guess being around it makes you more susceptible to one day picking it up. In fact, my sister started to smoke at university and even though I smoke myself, I actively tried stopping her and I told her that it's just a horrid habit that doesn't even give you a high in return.
  12. kita

kita Member

When I was a child, I caught my older brother smoking. He forced me to smoke with him so that I could not tell my parents without getting into trouble myself. Both of us are well into our twenties now and still smoke.
  13. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

My mother has smoked all her life, and she always told me to never start smoking.

I think most of the time, people have their first cigarette in a social situation, where peer pressure influences their actions significantly.

I think it is a big problem when people try to convince others to smoke without any regards for the long-term consequences to their health.
  14. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Well, I grew up seeing my dad and my older brother smoking, I had tobacco around the house, so I started smoking. They got me hooked no question.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My friends got me started when we were teens. I really can't hold it against them because we were all young at the time and it was considered cool back then. I am just lucky that the kids find it gross now, so hopefully my two will never start. I just wish I c old have back all of the money I have spent over the years buying them. I am now 6 days into my quitting adventure and have already saved like 40 dollars.
    Winterybella and Zyni like this.
  16. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I have never meet a smoker who has said its a good thing and others should try it. Most will straight out tell you its a nasty habit that they wish they never started, most will say the need or want to quit.

Rosyrain, that is wonderful that you are quitting, six days is a big accomplishment..keep moving forward and your wallet and health will reap the benefits!
    Zyni likes this.
  17. primalclaws1974

Good job, Rosyrain. I don't know what it is like personally, but I know it is hard to do. My ex-girlfriend quit when she got with me, for 18 months. When we split, she went back to smoking, and has continued for the last ten years. I don't understand quitting for that long, and ever going back. I suppose like any addiction, you never fully loose the urge to want to start up again. I would imagine after a long period of time it would be easier to resist, though. Maybe she never really wanted to quit, but did it for me (although I never asked her to), and the only way anyone really will stop an addiction is to want to do it for themselves.
  18. ZackeyMane

ZackeyMane Member

Though I've never had tobacco products or any other form of smoking pushed on me, I can understand how terrible it would be to have such a thing pressured on you that often. That kind of behavior is simply vile.
  19. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

My situation is hilarious if not for the fact that this is a serious issue with serious health implications. I used to move around with a friend on a bicycle daily and I used to buy him cigarettes (He had migraine and used to tell me that smoking reduces his head ache and I believed him). This constant buying lead me to actually start smoking and I started smoking without actually inhaling the smoke inside - if you can understand what I am saying. (I am from India and this happened about 27 years back when people knew smoking was bad but there was no concerted push to educate people about the ill effects of smoking). Then one thing lead to another and I became a smoker. So I cannot really say my friend was a pusher but I do know that a lot of my friends are smokers now so I would have probably picked up the habit in some other way.
  20. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

It is such a shame people would push people to smoke. The habit of doing it to people is probably even worse than smoking itself. One's propensity is different to another when it comes to getting hooked, so this is a dangerous path. I suggest that you really must be adamant to stand firm on what you believe in that cigarette smoking is one of the leading causes of death out there.
    AllenRexler likes this.