An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

People that get other people hooked

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by primalclaws1974, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I think smoking is becoming less popular and no longer considered a "social" activity as it once seemed to be viewed as and there is more information about how harmful it is being displayed to the public in ways that deter people , especially teens and pre teens, not to smoke. it is no longer glamorized or viewed as "cool". Hopefully this will help lessen those who start in the first place.
  2. e_rosenfeld

e_rosenfeld Member

Before college, a cigarette had never touched my lips. That quickly changed after a few nights out with friends who were smokers. In the fun of the moment they'd offer me hits of their own cigarettes and after a couple of weeks I had bought my own pack. I never realized how stupid and inconsiderate that was of them, and I highly doubt they realized what they were doing. Luckily I didn't become addicted, but that just goes to show how easily people can become hooked.
    AllenRexler likes this.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I got offered cigarettes by my smoking relatives when I was a child. They thought it was a great joke to see a 5 year old girl choking on cigarette smoke. I grew up with smoking parents. As a matter of fact, my mother never gave up smoking or drinking while she was pregnant with me. So, it seemed only natural that I would pick up this habit one day. I started at 13. It tasted great to me. I was hooked on nicotine for nearly 15 years.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I suppose that the urge is always going to be there. I really do not understand how someone could quit for so long and then go back to the habit either. I do not want to relive the first 72 hours as a non smoker. I guess it is probably not as bad as some of the other drug withdrawls out there. I started to think that the taste of cigarettes was gross before I quit and now I am starting to think that the smoke stinks too. I guess I am really just commited to not ever doing it again.
  5. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Luckily hardly any of my family or friends smokes, and if they do, they certainly aren't pressuring. They actually preach not to smoke and tell the young ones how awful it is. I wish they'd practice what they preach, but at least they're not forcing such a harmful drug on others. It is one thing to put that poison in your own body, but to force other people to do it as well is just awful, and people who do that are honestly despicable.
  6. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

My high school friends were those pushers. They didn't explicitly tell me to smoke but they would glamorize smoking and made up all of those arguments that passive smoking is more dangerous than active smoking. Even now, when I managed to decrease my frequency of smoking to less than one pack per month, I still cannot quit completely because of the peer pressure during the special occasions when I go out with my smoker friends. I would keep a pack that I only use when I go out with them and sometimes I have to throw those packs when they turn stale but yes, right now I need to learn a lot of things about dealing with peer pressure without alienating your friends.
  7. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

Same as you, both my parents smoked. They smoked in the house, and in the car. They made no effort to smoke away from the kids. My mom smoked while pregnant with my sisters and myself, without any consideration for the babies growing inside her. The only reason she started smoking outside is because everyone does it now, and people became more vocal about not wanting to breathe in secondhand smoke. But I don't think it's "natural" whatsoever that a child of smoking parents will inevitably smoke. My sisters did, but I have never even tried it (I'm 40).
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You are right, it's definitely not "natural" that a child of smokers or drinkers will follow in the footsteps of their parents, and I only meant it in an ironic way. I am glad to hear that you never touched cigarettes, as for most people, and especially those who grew up in a family of smokers, it's awfully hard to shake the habit once you get addicted to it. As you would probably know from your sisters.
  9. Mahpokemons

Mahpokemons Member

Thankfully I have never had to meet anyone who peer pressured anyone I knew into smoking, people here are very friendly though 7 times out of 10 if you ask a stranger for a smoke they will either share or give you one. I think it's absolutely disgusting that someone would try to force someone else to smoke, most of my family smoke but they always talked to me about how hard it is to quit and gave me perspectives on how much the cost was and how they felt after smoking some off 15+ years with the phlegm and pains and some other stuff. They really tried to keep me away from that stuff.
  10. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

This is how I started smoking twice. I will admit the first time I was also guilty, but it was a friend who wanted to go into a store and buy a pack, and wanted us to try it. I could have said no. But had it not been for her and that whole situation, and her continued presence in my life, I doubt I would have started.

Then 1 year later I quit. I was camping with a friend who noticed I had pretty much stopped smoking. She went to the store in town and came back with a present for me, menthol cigarettes. Maybe I would like those I think she thought. Oh yeah, they were better, so I started again. Then it took me another 9 years to quit after that.
    AllenRexler likes this.
  11. AllenRexler

AllenRexler Member

It's a shame to admit that someone I consider a friend but who I haven't seen in years heavily contributed to my addiction. He would always offer me cigarettes even though he knew I did not really like smoking very much and would encourage me to go outside with him to smoke so he wouldn't be lonely. I know I am ultimately responsible for my actions and for my addiction, but it's I must admit he contributed and it was an awfully shady thing of him to do.
  12. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

This. The only time this happened was when I was a kid and the "everyone is doing it" thing. Other than that, every smoker I know says it's bad, don't do it. My kids think it's gross too, so that's good.

I do think it's awful that some people would try to drag others down with them.
    Teresa likes this.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

People can push but it's ultimately up to the individual to say yes or no. Still I have to agree that pushing or forcing a person to smoke is never a good thing. We are all made up differently. Some of us are strong willed and never crumble under pressure. Still others are easily shaken or persuaded.

Sometimes people do things without realizing the implications for further down the road.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I HATE when people interject on your smoker status. That goes both ways. Whether someone thinks I should smoke more or less is none of their business. Someone's peer pressure to smoke can result in cancer for the person being pressured into it. At the same time, someone pressuring me into smoking less stresses me out and makes me want to smoke even more.
    Teresa likes this.
  15. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

This made me think of my father and my step mother. She stopped smoking long before he did and once she stopped she was on him about stopping constantly and banned all smoking in the house. I think he did actually smoke more than usual with her always arguing about how since she quit it was time for him to do the same as she could no longer stand the smell of it near her or on his clothing.
  16. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I am a parent and I never smoke in front of my wife or kid. I always make it a point to go out and smoke and stay a reasonable amount of time outside so that there is not residual smell. I know it is important as my father was a smoker. Of course, he never encouraged me to smoke, but still I did not want my kid feel that he got hooked because of me.
  17. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Of coarse, it's like that with any addiction. If other people's feelings were all it took for people to give up an addiction, we'd have a pretty drug free and smoke free world.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I knew someone before who tried to influenced me into smoking. I tried to tell him that smoking is bad but instead of agreeing to me, he said that it is relaxing to smoke and I should try it so that I could learn to appreciate it. I have not tried smoking and never will.
  19. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I have some friends that I consider cigarette pushers and as much as I want to reject their offers I give in most of the time because they are my friends and they reason that it brings a sense of camaraderie and bonding when we smoke together. There are also times that I am able to reject them and the reason that I state is that I don’t want to smoke because of the harmful effects it may bring to me. If we are disciplined enough to control ourselves then we can fend off these cigarette pushers.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it happens, when people smoke it and their friends and can also get others to smoke this and it can cause a addiction to develop later. People can live in a environment which, does this and can get addicted to the drug from seeing close ones taking it. Some may view it as something, that relaxes a person and also will try to get others to do this and not think of the consequences.