An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

People that get other people hooked

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by primalclaws1974, Dec 9, 2014.

1. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the so called cigarette-pushers, since that is how I started smoking. It all begun when my best friend started smoking and she kind off passed smoking to me, without even realising it. Good thing is we both stopped smoking ever since.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Getting somebody else hooked on smoking would usually happens at a younger age, your friends who smoke will try and twist you arm and tempt you into starting, or just having one. As you get older people make their own choices rather than just follow everybody else.

Obviously it's not nice for somebody to get another person hooked on something but at an ealmrly age, it's just part of growing up. I dint think there's and malice behind it.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have met people who even wanted to push drugs on me and they were succesful, sadly this is a very normal behaviour for some addicts. I have noticed than more than once so called friends tried to push their drugs on me, I made a couple bad decisions and fell for it. NEVER again. That is why I stopped being friends with some of them.
  4. Tremmie

Damn!! That was so damn low of that gardener! Really low! Why was he fired anyway? If that was my son I'd have fired him as soon as I had found out he was trying to push my son into smoking. God, it makes my blood boil just to think someone did that to a poor 15 year old. Terrible person he must have been.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The reason he wasn't fired earlier was because my parents didn't know what my brother had been learning from him. They almost always were never home.

He was fired for stealing in the end though. He'd been stealing and selling some of our stuff and my parents never learned that for a long time because they never entered his room. And when they did having heard rumors of said thefts from neighbors [and found out that almost all the furniture that was previously there was gone] they had to fire him.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Along with my previous post, I should have added that it's still a choice. People influence us, and some are quick to try to drag others down with them. That's shameful. At the same time, we make our own choices, so we need to be accountable for that. No one "makes" us smoke, drink, or do other drugs. We choose to do it.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The only time I have ever encountered "cigarette-pushers" is when I've been trying to quit. Someone always tries to force on e on me. I expect it's simply to try and validate their decision to continue smoking.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I guess I’ve been pretty lucky. No one’s ever tried pushing cigarettes or other things on me. If anything, I was made fun of for smelling like cigarettes, because my parents would smoke in the house when I was younger. Ironically enough, some of those people who gave me trouble for it ended up becoming smokers themselves. Funny how that works.
  9. Tremmie

Gosh, am not suprised to hear he was a thief, he sounded like an awful human being when you told us what he did to your brother. He sounds like a real low life, and yes, I can imagine your parents would have fired him if they had found out about the great damage he was causing your brother. I hope that guy has had time to repent and is in a better place now, I believe everyone deserves a second chance in life.
  10. lazurm66

lazurm66 Member

I know of someone that started because, after trying to get his girlfriend to stop, she suggested that it would be easier if they stopped together. But, he didn't smoke. She convinced him to start and smoke through the summer vacation after which they'd stop together. He fell for it and now they both smoke. A learned lesson about the addictive power of cigarettes.
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Wow. That is messed up. No doubt that cigarettes are incredibly addictive. This is just further proof of that. I hope they can both stop sooner rather than later.