An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Permanent changes?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Gelsemium, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

When we were addicts I think our emotional development stalls, I am not the only one who noticed this right? Either cases, can the emotional development resume later on or will it be something that will be with us for the rest of our lives?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

You're absolutely right, it does. Furthermore, this is probably the reason we get addicted in the first place - trying to avoid our problems and pretending they are not there, rather than facing them head on. Working on emotional development is critical for recovery - we need to address the reasons we became addicted in the first place to stand any chance of success.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's something that can be corrected. A lot of growth stagnates for people who become addicts, and I would even argue that this happens for non addicts who choose to live within their comfort zones / bubble as well, but I think anyone can choose to broaden their horizons and evolve once they smarten up enough.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

People experience emotional maturity at different points in their lives. No two people can have the same emotional development as they have different backgrounds, different upbringings, different set of friends and different levels of education. These inherent differences will result to a spectrum of emotional development. Depending on your experiences, your EQ may fluctuate if it's not strengthened. You have to hone your mental faculties to have a better grip of your emotions.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

When people go through trauma they often experience arrested development. This is not uncommon and it's not limited to people who have suffered from addictions either. It's not really about how people mature differently; I'm sure they do, but that situation is for normal and healthy people. Arrested development is a clear sign of trauma and needs to be treated professionally.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I definitely felt emotionally crippled while I was addicted to alcohol. I also felt mentally imbalanced and suffered a lot from post traumatic stress. I think I did a good job overcoming most of my emotional problems. But it took me years. Even now I occasionally have "set-backs" where I react in a way that even surprises me. I think that there are some deep-seated issues in all of us, but perhaps more so in those who have to deal with addictive patterns.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

When people have already overcame addiction, there's a tendency they will suffer from Para-Addiction Stress Trauma, but I think it's not going to leave permanent damages. It depends on the person whether he/she is going to handle this situation properly or not.
  8. Gelsemium

I do have a close relative who at this point I am just not sure if he is consuming again or if it has become a trait of his personality, he acts superior like he owns the truth like he did years ago when he was consuming. I feel this is just a disguise for his insecurity.
  9. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

@Gelsemium This is exactly how I knew my Dad's attempt to "stop drinking" was a very short attempt. He still tries to cover up and justify that his habits are okay, but he knows that they are not. Especially when he gets on Facebook and just starts targeting people (bosses, coworkers, friends, family etc.) over silly posts. I too feel my Dad is bored and very insecure--he tries to be happy with his life but simply has never been. I also feel his upbringing has a lot to do with it.

I have been struggling with my emotions here lately as well. Thankfully I have been able to find a way to "talk/type" through the thoughts of bringing this habit back into my life. Hopefully this is a good sign that my emotions are developing, or at least that recovery is working for me.
    Gelsemium and xTinx like this.
  10. rubydust

rubydust Member

I believe it's possible for emotional development to recover after addiction, however I think it can take a conscious effort. For example, even though I'm not using, it's still the first thing I think about doing when I feel overwhelmed with problems. It's become an ingrained emotional response.
    stariie and Rosyrain like this.
  11. Gelsemium

Nothing like being humble, I mean, if we have a problem why should we worry about other people or be mean to them, that sounds crazy, we should worry about ourselves!
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it depends on the drug or substance that you're taking. If you take a very hard drug often and over a long period of time, then I think it will have an irreversible impact on your brain. I remember one acquaintance who told me that doctors told her that her brain was severely damaged after taking ecstasy pills and she needed some medical treatment for her addiction.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  13. Gelsemium

That is the thing serenity, everything is so complex that we really don't know if the person is like that or if it's under the effect of some drug.
    Matthodge1 likes this.
  14. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Well said, I was drinking so much because I was trying to pretend that my problems did not exist.but when I remembered them I drank to numb myself. I never cried at anything at all, ever because every emotion had been repressed.
  15. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I cannot agree more. I cannot stress how important this is. Drugs can effect people to the point where it is hard to tell if it is the person talking or the drugs.
  16. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

Absolutely. My addiction issues sprouted when I was a young adult (early 20s), and it left me with a big blank spot in my life. Who am I now that I quit? I didn't know. I didn't know what to do with my life and my time. I wasn't even sure what my morals and values were. It took some time to rediscover myself and become the person I was meant to be. Almost as big a struggle as the addiction itself to me. Led to deep depression and anxiety.
  17. Gelsemium

Yep, their personalty changes or just imagine, if they are consuming for long years the person we used to know disappears a new one is right there in front of our eyes. Life changed the person.
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, this can happen. It's why I'm in favor of open discussion about usage instead of just sweeping the whole problem under the rug because it just places people at risk to constantly deny the inevitable experimentation people will get into.
  19. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

Your emotional development will continue to evolve after one comes to terms with their addiction and making a choice to become sober. In some cases the person may become more enlighten about certain situations in life due to understanding the dark stages of addiction. From my perspective, this will inevitably increase your emotional growth and mental development.
  20. Gelsemium

I know what you mean May, we do acquire a certain sort of knowledge by consuming drugs, but other sort disappears. Like a good friend of mine once said, we don't choose what we erase from our heads!