An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pets Can Help With Your Recovery

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by serenity, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

lol, that's funny because I had a dog and everyone in my family called him a different name, I guess that he simply recognized our voice and that was enough to him.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, I think pets mostly try to recognize the sound of their master's voice, but sometimes when they hear their name, their ears stand up in attention, like they know they are being called.
  3. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Of course they can, pets are great to help with recovery, especially dogs and horses (for people that live in a farm).
  4. Gelsemium

It's rather impressive to see how clever those animals are, I think that pretty much like people some are more than others, but they do feel us and are a great companion.
  5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Pets are definitely recommended for folks who are going through recovery. That companionship a pet brings can be really vital for addicts. Dogs are a man's best friend and I think its definitely a fitting moniker. As I think dogs can really help with the recovery process.
    serenity likes this.
  6. serenity

If you watch Animal Planet, you will see some documentaries about hyenas, lions, rats, etc. and their intelligence being tested by using obstacle courses and puzzles to be able to get to the food, and like humans, they can indeed strategize and figure out a way on how to solve it.
  7. Sorry I didn't see your reply until now. Bunnies are very easy to care for as long as you litter train them when they are small. They can live for up to 10 years though, so if you're considering having one as a pet, know that it will be long term. Lol. My bunnies are very sweet and they are very quiet animals. If you do decide to get one, let me know if you have any questions about caring for them. :)
    serenity likes this.
  8. serenity

Thank you for the offer. If ever I will get a bunny I will get the cheapest one, lol. I noticed that they vary in price, some are above $12. What is the breed of your rabbit? I don't think I would want to get a big breed, just a small breed.
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Anyone who owns a pet realizes the importance of owning a pet. That statement may sound obvious, stupid and redundant, but it is the truth. If you do not own a pet or you have never owned a pet, you do not realize what you are truly missing because you have never had the fulfilling experience that is owning a pet. Having an animal to call your own is an amazing thing.
  10. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

A pet is great for recovery, especially the very interactive ones. Dogs and cats, once attached to a person, start caring for their owner quite a lot. Dogs will defend their owner when they feel as if they are being threatened and so do cats. They can be great friends that are always there for you, and are quite fun to have around as well.
  11. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I've been toying around with the idea of maybe getting some cats or dogs of my own - but I am scared of accidentally neglecting them if I "fall off the wagon" or have some sort of medical emergency where I can't be there to take care of them any more.

All of my pets that I've ever had ended up staying at my parents house after I moved out since I didn't think it was fair to leave them in an apartment by themselves all day when my folks are at home and can keep them company and feed them throughout the work day.

They are definite stress relievers though and can really help calm you down, when you might be reaching for a stiff drink otherwise. I just know that there are some days, when I've really tied one on the night before and got hammered, that the last thing I am in the mood to do is take my pets for a walk, or give them baths, or change a bunch of litter boxes, schedule vet checkups, etc...
  12. serenity

How about you get a fish or a turtle then? But since fish tanks need to be cleaned every week, then I think your best bet would be the turtle. I had one and you just replace his bowl everyday with clean water, scrub it a bit then you're done. Taking fishes out of the tank is a hassle, so go with the turtle. Hamsters and rabbits seem to be less maintenance too as compared to dogs and cats.
  13. Gelsemium

I feel that this goes beyond intelligence, it's a little like a sixth sense, animals can feel us, they have other means of perception we don't and that is why they are such a great companion.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

Attending to your pets keeps you busy. You can enjoy playing with them if you feel you are missing company. This makes you feel occupied with no time to stress. Pets make our homes warm when we feel cold. It is true that we can lower our stress levels by playing with our pets.
  15. serenity

You're right, animals can even sense if someone is about to die already. But in my case, my cat doesn't seem to be a very sensitive cat. I don't think he knows if I'm happy or sad, but he knows when I'm angry, lol. He seems to be apathetic most of the time unless he's hungry.
  16. Gelsemium

LOL, so your cat basically could not care less eh? :D That is why I prefer dogs, cats seem to be more individualistic animals and sometimes it's hard to bond with them.
  17. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Can confirm, pets are miracle workers for your psyche. Dogs especially, can make people recover faster emotionally and they can help them in dealing and coping with feelings of stress and anxiety. I've had my rescue dog for five years now, but I had a much older dog that died before that. Both of them have made my recovery easier.
  18. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

This much I have to agree. I have seen a lot of my friends recover fast just because they were given pets. I highly recommend this.
  19. serenity

I think that depends on the type of cat that you have, but they are certainly independent and low maintenance, which I like. Some are actually quite affectionate, I had a cat that would always sit on my lap whenever she saw me sitting, while some are just not affectionate, lol. My present cat just rubs up every now and then to show his affection. What kind of pet do you have now by the way?
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I strongly believe on this. :)
    Pets can really be stress relievers and great companions. We always have pets in the family and we currently have a dog and a cat. The most pets that we had were 3 dogs and a cat.