An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pets Can Help With Your Recovery

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by serenity, Mar 17, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more about pets helping with recovery. To me it's such an important aspect of getting through any tough time in life - knowing that there's someone that loves you unconditionally through whatever you're going through. And if pets aren't a perfect example of unconditional love I don't know what is!
  2. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Oh yes it's true. They do give you affection like no other. Sometimes I feel like my dog is the only being that is truly there for me. His loyalty and love is eternal. I can always count on him to get me through the next day and so forth.
  3. mmalka

mmalka Member

Having your best friend which is my puppy can always tend to show that you have support every step of the way and that nothing can defeat you.They can make you feel like you have that extra brother or sister than you always wanted.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Pets are actually better than humans, because they won't betray you or hurt you. So if you want a really loyal companion, then don't look for a lover, look for a pet instead. They're not inclined to cheat or nag, and they're less maintenance too.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes, they make you happy. Little bundles of joy. They help you more than anything if you let them. The therapy animals. I think this kind of therapy is being used a lot now. Mental illness, depression, and all sorts of recovery. If people acted more like the happy go lucky animals there wouldn't be so many issues. Words do more damage. There is something to be said for silence. The dogs and cats make noises that are not defined by definition and real meaning. It's cute and fun. Maybe if you are having trouble with someone you could just confine each other to just barking. Lol I bet it would make you both smile. It's making me laugh just thinking about it.
    I do days of silence sometimes. It does great things for you.
    Yeah they should probably just find something else for shrinks to do cause that's what they do shrink your brain. Psycho analysis and drugs do that to you. There could be clinics with animals in them. You can go pay a visit to a dog for an hour or so for therapy. What a good idea. I mean it can cost a lot of money to own a dog. People could pay to spend time with a dog for therapy but not have to own them.
  6. Owlwright

Owlwright Member

I have a turtle and fish, just looking at them makes me feel very calm and at peace. So yeah, I do agree, keeping a pet can make a great impact on people who suffer with having an addiction.
    It can have a calming and relaxing effect. Also petting animals is incredibly helpful in stressful situations. Soft fur makes me feel like on cloud nine for a while.
  7. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I am a dog person that is the closest that I go as it relate to pets. I love having them around and they seem to like being in my company as well. I remember having a dog that followed me all the way to the bus stop in the mornings and as much as how I feared having him in such close proximity to the traffic, I enjoyed the attention he gave. I would not be lonely as long as this dog is around, he makes a big deal when I go outside, he is all over me and act as if he is seeing me for the first time.
  8. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

Pets do reduce stress levels and are of great help. I recently watched a show in Animal Planet about this. It was the story of a woman who had been on drugs for more than 15 years. One day a dog starts following her everywhere around, and to make the story short she kept it. She said that the dog’s love was what made her stay clean and sober. Knowing that the pup depended on her to eat and to stay alive made her feel important and it was the dog that inspired the change in her.

I loved this story. I have four dogs and they are like my babies, I can’t imagine my life without them. I’ll share with you a picture of one of them. Hope you like it!

Attached Files:

9. serenity

@Nikkishea21, Wow, your dog reminds me of Hachiko, he also followed his master on his way to the train. Have you already seen the movie? Don't you get worried that he might be run over when he goes home after you boarded the train?

@lalabee21, Your dog looks cute! What breed is that?
  10. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

I agree having a pet really helps most people in a lot of different situations. I know that having a pet really helps me as far as stress goes and it is such a good feeling to be taking care of pets. They are so easy to live with. I think having a pet is a great idea.
  11. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

He's a Scottie - Scottish Terrier - they are the most loving dogs ever. Hard to train though but it doesn't matter, they're too cute!

I've seen that movie I love it, but it's so sad. After I saw it I decided not to watch movies that tell sad animal stories, they're just too hard to watch. Isn't it weird that we are used to see people killing each other in movies all the time, but when we see animals suffering in movies our hearts ache? Well I'm speaking for me here.

Anyways, do you have a dog? If you don't you should get a Scottie!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  12. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

Animals have been known to be empaths in many ways and help in healing. I know for me I can not live without animals in my life. My dogs have gotten my through so much in my life. When I was detoxing during my benzo withdrawal, they would both stay cuddled up with me on the couch and then when I was well enough to get up and exercise we would go for our daily walks. They are so very loyal and loving. I can not imagine my life without my fur babies.
  13. serenity

@lalabee21, Yes we do have a dog, but it's a Jack Russell Terrier. He's so noisy and hyper! I have watched that movie too, but it didn't make me cry though.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I could speak about this all day. I have four dogs and a cat that I now only have in spirit. As I type I am distracted by two placing "catch" or something like that. One jumps to a chair for a break as the other can't reach there just yet. They take a breather and then they are back at it. The older dog is completed disinterested in the "child's play" and is ignoring us all. Just watching them makes me smile most days.

My dogs are family and therapist.