An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pets! :)

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by geegee, Oct 31, 2014.

1. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Pets offer unconditional love. They accept people as they are. When you have a pet, you have to be responsible and not just think of yourself. Because of these things, I think pets make great companions to those in recovery. What do you think? :)
    dyanmarie25, Joseph and karmaskeeper like this.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, I've heard of pets being used specially for companionship purposes in old folks homes and in hospitals, so I'm sure it would work equally just as well in rehabs. I think most addicts just fail at looking beyond themselves at certain points especially when they are at the peak of heir addiction so having a pet around might show them a way to perceive themselves in a more worldly manner.
    geegee likes this.
  3. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

While I agree to what you've said, there are a lot of people who don't care very much for animals. I would be concerned for the well being of the pet if a recovering patient starts having a nervous breakdown.

I once knew a family that took two cats into their home. The cats were kind of funny. One of them was overly paranoid (and to say overly paranoid for a cat, is saying a lot), and the other was always drooling around. When I made a remark on their distinctive behaviour, the owner of the house told me that she took them away from a house were two junkies lived, and that she thought that the cats were given whatever drug they were using.

So while it does seem like a good idea, I wouldn't give a pet to just any person in recovery.
  4. geegee

Ah yes. It would be a bad idea to force a pet into someone who isn't ready for that kind of responsibility. So it would be better to take into consideration the personality and emotional capability of the one in recovery. For those that can handle it though, I think it could be a good idea.
  5. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

Assuming that the person and a third party agreed, I believe pets would be beneficial for recovering addicts. A cat could be great for those who are not as good with responsibility, as outdoor cats can fend for themselves. On the other hand, dogs could be great for those who simply need a smile to keep them going.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I totally agree pets are great to keep you focused when trying to stay sober. I have a little dog named Lulu, she is my best friend. She is the cutie in my thumbnail here. Just look at that face:) She is truly a dear friend to me, oh the times I have felt all alone just to look down and see that ball of fur looking back up at me with a ball in her mouth. She gets it, she really does. I would recommend everyone to have a pet just because they are totally the best, and you have a true friend that is there no matter what.
  7. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

I used to hate pets. I always had the mindset that I couldn't be bothered with them. But things changed when a cat stayed in my backyard for a week straight, seemingly trying to get my attention. After several days, I gave her food. She rubbed her head against my shins, and in that moment, I knew I should keep her.

I never realized that having a pet could be such a lovely experience.
  8. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Pets are a great companion for an addict or anyone for that matter. They don't judge and they offer unconditional love. They will keep you busy and give you time to meditate while walking them. They give the emotional connection that sometimes people really need.
  9. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Having a pet can be a form of therapy. I find that my pets are my confidants. I can talk to them when I have no one to talk to and they seem to understand me more than some humans.
    geegee likes this.
  10. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

Agreed, getting a dog had a greater impact on me than i'd expected (in a positive way of course!)
    geegee likes this.
  11. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

For many recovering addicts, pets are a fantastic aid in the recovery process. They become lifelong companions, at least for the animal's entire existence. A recovering addict that can't deal with the responsibilities of say a dog or other high maintenance animal can always get something easier like a cat, which are highly independent creatures. Just having a dog or cat walking around the house each day can be enough companionship for some individuals. That's all that matters, too!
    geegee likes this.
  12. geegee

Aww! She really is adorable! It's good to hear she has helped you cope. It is nice to have that unconditional love that pets give. Plus I'm sure it doesn't hurt when the unconditional love and acceptance comes from such a cutie! ;)
  13. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I have 7 dogs and 2 cats. After running after them all day and paying for the their food and toys, I am to tired to and broke to do anything! Pets are wonderful to have. A cats purr has scientifically been proven to reduce stress levels. They are great for reminding you of how to enjoy life also, because all they want to do is eat, play, and love you.
    geegee likes this.
  14. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I completely agree with this thread! I have no clue where I would be today without my little baby kitty Minou. He has saved me over and over again just by making me laugh some how everyday. I wake up in the morning knowing that he is waiting for me to wake up and we have tons of fun playing mouse together :) My cat has been the best at taking my mind off the negative things and moving onto some place better :)
  15. geegee

Aw, that's nice to hear! I often hear of stories of dogs being great companions but not so much cats. I'm glad your cat provides that kind of companionship. I tend to imagine cats as being more independent and showing less affection. Good to know I was wrong about that. :)
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You bring up a good point about pets and unconditional love. I was never a people person. I wouldn't be that social and some would say I'm not a very nice person, cause I don't smile. But once my dog comes to play, I lighten up immensely. I find the same thing happens with the elderly also.
  17. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

Having a pet can really occupy your time, which can be a very good thing. In my personal experience, having a pet has had a positive effect on me. This idea may work best if you live by yourself. Loneliness is proven to lead to drinking, so I can see where getting a pet can definitely help!
  18. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Depends on what you mean by unconditional love. Dogs can respond aggressively to irrational behavior and i bet they would not be pleased to notice that you're not your normal self in case you were to relapse.Although i don't disagree entirely on that notion, i think one should exercise extreme care when in that phase of recovery and you have a pet around.
  19. geegee

You make a good point. A relapse with your pet around is definitely a bad idea. It could be a good deterring factor for some though. Caring for a pet would make one think twice about making bad decisions.
  20. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I think it depends on the person. I know that most of my friends would not want me to gift them a pet in most circumstances because they probably couldn't handle the extra responsibility. However, if I find that it's a good idea, I might take my friend to a pound to see if there are any that he likes. I would definitely be willing to pay whatever adoption fees and what not. Anything that he or she can use to overcome the addiction.

Remember to also take advantage of free adoption days!