An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Peyote

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Tremmie, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Has anyone ever heard about peyote or even used it? While growing up I heard about people using peyote, how it makes people hallucinate and so on. It is believed that north american native Americans have been using it for thousands of years as an aid during their spiritual ceremonies and so on.

It can be found growing in the wild in Mexico, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

People cuts this pretty looking cacti leaving the roots behinds. They get peyote ''buttons'' that then are left to dry up before they can be consumed. I have actually seen this growing wild where I lived, but I never tried it. I heard the native Americans also used this to treat several ailments.

I haven't met someone who admits using it. I guess people can easily become addicted to it.

Had you ever heard about peyote before? ever tried it?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've heard a lot about peyote but never actually tried it. In my younger days, I probably would have tried it had I been offered some but it's just not something you see here in the UK. As with most other hallucinogens though, peyote is NOT physically addictive. Yes, it is possible that someone could develop a psychological addiction to the stuff but it does not cause either physical addictions or withdrawal symptoms.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Never did but I had a buddy who did. It appears to be relatively safe, psychedelics just weren't ever really my thing.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I know of a few people who have tried it. I wouldn't think it to be addictive really as it is an experience that takes quite a lot out of you. It can make you quite ill initially after taking it also. It's not something you would want to repeat immediately afterwards as you really want recovery time. I think quality most common with addictive substances is that you want to repeat the experience very soon (immediately or in the very near future).
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've heard of this before but it's not common where I live. I really never liked any thing that makes you hallucinate.
    I have to be aware of my surroundings at all times. I know Native Americans would use things like this for spiritual journeys, but they weren't around other people who would think they were going crazy or something. This is a really beautiful looking plant. I personally would have never consumed it.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Ah yeah I've read up about this. It is kind of interesting. Suppose to give you some deep insight into whatever you are pondering. Perception, mood, and consciousness. Your current awareness will be heightened I guess. It has a psychoactive effect.
    Said to have healing properties for toothache, fever, blindness, diabetes, & colds. The Shaman healers use it. They take it to achieve some spiritual level and to help people. Maybe this will be in the marijuana dispensaries too.
  7. Azreal328

Azreal328 Member

I've taken peyote before. Though hallucinogens are dangerous, they don't tend to be very addictive. Getting high on hallucinogens tends to take a lot out of a person, and like it was previously stated, is a very draining experience. It often takes a day or two just to recover. Most of the danger from hallucinogens comes from overdose, or a person's actions while on the substance. Many people don't have the willpower to avoid acting psychotic on such substances.
  8. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I have experimented with mescaline, the main psychoactive in Peyote, but it was from a San Pedro cactus. Peyote takes years to mature, while other types of mescaline-containing cacti can be ready in just months. I didn't experience nausea nearly as badly as some people do on the come-up and the trip was beautiful.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Only heard of it but honestly I never really knew what it was. I'm not even sure that I know whether or not it's legal or illegal to possess where I live.