An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

"Pharmaceutical Salesmen"

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by SashaS, Feb 26, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I've never understood how one becomes a drug dealer. Do you just decide one day: "Hey, I haven't been doing well in school lately and I don't see much of a future for myself, so let me sell drugs." How does one go about finding suppliers and people to sell to. I simply don't understand how they do it. Sure, if you're brought up around those people but even then, it's rather interesting how it all happens. Can somebody give me a sort of explanation on how this happens and your opinion on drug dealers? Thank you!
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

From my observation, they become drug users first, then they slowly gain contacts and even become friends with their drug dealers, so eventually they gain the drugs and then start selling it. You must have to have contacts from the inside first before you get to be a dealer.
    SashaS and JonnyMacdonald like this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think it's often a matter of consequence...but commonly the trend seems to be people perhaps that are down on their luck and are already vulnerable - getting caught up in the wrong crowd and they see it as a way out, a way to make money, and so forth. And then it just gets deeper and deeper.
    SashaS likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some can be recruited by small time pushers who'll promise them commissions if they sell drugs to kids in school. They start small. Tell their friends they've got something for them. Introduce them to the pusher who gives them a taste of the drugs. He gets them "hooked" and his recruit gets to be the middle-man and once the recruit is out of school . . .
    SashaS likes this.
  5. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

This is it right here.
    Let me tell you, that every drug user is actually a part time drug dealer. You get into the dope world and you and your friends will "split" on a large quantity of drugs. A few people here and there will buy a bit off you here and there. Sometimes when your low on cash to feed the addiction, you will get a large quantity of drugs "fronted" which means on credit with a bulk discount. This is done with the intent of selling enough of the drugs that you get a little bit of profit or you get a little bit for free. It's a network thing, you don't see "clean" people selling drugs because no one trusts them and they don't hang around users all day so they don't have a network.
    It's not like in the movies people, most drug dealers are very poor and are just selling them to feed their own habit.
    The guys at the top are typically part of organized crime, they are into all sorts of different criminal enterprises not just drug pushing.
    serenity and SashaS like this.
  6. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I always wondered how people could be dealers and employ children to sell for them. It just makes no sense for me that someone could not care enough to put a kid's life on the line unless they were addicted or hooked themselves. I guess they were addicted to money and power.
    SashaS likes this.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@JonnyMacdonald, That's quite true. I had a neighbor that used to sell drugs, and there were always a bunch of people that he talks to on his front gate. Those people range from students to adults. Now he isn't selling anymore and has seemed to quit the habit. When I used to smoke weed, my classmate, who acted as the middleman and who lived in a depressed area, got the weed from his neighbor who lived on the slums as well. That dealer even scammed me on my last purchase, I received the "weed" wrapped in paper. I opened it and found a bunch of dried leaves, obviously not weed. So be on guard, these dealers can scam you as well, considering their unethical image.
    SashaS likes this.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I do think that in a lot of cases, people become drug dealers in order to fund their own addiction. Because of their own addiction, they already have contacts who can supply them and contacts who they can sell to. At the end of the day, it's who you know and not what you know. Of course, there are also those who are clean who might happen to know a lot of people who use a particular drug and so they could take advantage of that or could take advantage of the popularity of newer drugs like Mephedrone in order to make some money.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  9. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

From what I know, they usually start using the drugs first, before becoming dealers. You would rarely find a drug dealer that is not an addict. In most cases they become dealers to be able access drugs whenever they feel like it and also to make money for that expensive lifestyle.
    SashaS likes this.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yup, it seems to be a bit of a trend that they'll start small and then before you know it, it snowballs. It just makes me sad I guess that some people see it as their option for a better life and their only chance to make money...when in fact they're ruining their lives and others too.
    SashaS likes this.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I live in a country where drug pushing/dealing is just as rampant as addiction. Many of them have impoverished backgrounds - meaning, born to a poor family and raised in slums. This also means that a number of them lack education and one of the easiest ways out of their dire situation is to push drugs, which they deem a better alternative to selling flesh. Now, for people who are not in the same boat but still engage in drug deals, we already know it's simply the lure of more easy money that's egging them on.
    SashaS likes this.
  12. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, law enforcement officials would be able to give a better explanation. As far as I can tell, they get brainwashed by older men involved in the trade, who seem to be doing well when it comes to money. They never tell you about the consequences of becoming a drug dealer, just that there's a lot of money in it.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

There has to be a government crackdown on the selling of narcotics. I mean people should not be able to see dealing drugs as a viable path in life. It is a criminal enterprise, and those who do it need to be caught and punished with stiffer sentences so the young don't see it as a good thing to do.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There can be various reasons like being a user first and because there is a need for drugs, one will become a pusher to have something to use. Or a person like to have money which is huge and easy money for them.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Not sure where you are from but we are currently trying that right now in North America.
    We even have a name for it! It's called the "War on drugs."
    Been at it for a few decades now..... drug use as rampant as ever.... drug users still at it and still marginalized......organized crime still making "mad dough" as the kids say, even more $$$ now then ever.
    Perhaps it's time for a different strategy.
  16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I agree that most drug dealers are drug users themselves. For instance, my husband's cousin first started doing drugs. Right now, she's into selling drugs as well maybe to have some fund for her drug use. So from being a drug user, she ended up selling too because of the contacts and networks she gained. She isn't even home most of the time and she has two daughters to take care of since her husband is abroad.

Then there's the big people of the drug industry. You know, the government officials or the authorities themselves. Maybe with the hope of earning more, they got into that shady business. Like we had one former police chief who was caught at a drug warehouse. His alibi is that he was there to spy on the business, but he's already retired so the authorities did not believe his story.
  17. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Not all drug dealers are drug users; many are dealers for the profit. They usually begin as interns before they begin working on their own. Small boys who have to look after their sick mother or a constantly high mother and raising his siblings at the same time; he quits school and starts training with a neighbor. Then he grows up and thinks that is the most reasonable way to earn some money.
  18. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I think the main reason is that it's quick and easy money. If you grow up in an environment filled with poverty it's easy to be tempted to sell drugs so you can have things and not to go without. I think it's even more propelling when you see your peers driving around in expensive cars and know they are dealers. They don't think about the consequences of how they are slowing killing people. Nor do they think about how it's very dangerous and if something goes wrong, they can be shot. If a person wants to do this, it's not hard to find trouble. Just like if one wants to take drugs, it's not hard to find.
    SashaS likes this.
  19. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

There's a really fascinating documentary on this subject called "How to Make Money Selling Drugs". They follow and interview a number of dealers at all levels from a kid just starting to sell in his neighborhood all the way up to people in the cartels. There were a lot of people who started selling as little kids who grew up in a poor neighborhood, needed to help their family, and/or already had older neighbors or relatives that were selling and get them into it as young as 10-12 years old. Very sad stuff!
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

People do it for different reasons. Sometimes people need money and there job doesn't pay enough or they can't get one .
    Some people could have grown up in that kind of environment. From what I've witnessed most of the time it's used as a way to escape poverty. Still you have to wonder how drugs even get into this country and urban environments in the first place.