An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pills addiction

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Peninha, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Have you ever tried to help a drug addict? It's not nearly as easy as you seem to think it is, especially when it comes to benzodiazepines. If they don't want to help themselves, you're not going to get anywhere. Telling him that he should have helped more is much easier said than done.
  2. It seems that the prescription drug industry has become a narcotic production industry. There are far more drugs that cause dependency than ever before in history. I hate to see so many young people fall victim to this epidemic. The manufacturers seem to stay relatively quiet about the growing problem, and it make me wonder if they care at all.
  3. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I dated a girl in college that did Ecstasy. I found out after ward. We often fought about it. She wanted me to do it with her. She was also bipolar. Again I found out later. But when she stayed on course and did treatment she was really an amazing person.
  4. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I have seen to many people become addicted to pills and I think that's why I am so against taking medications. I have about 5 prescription medications that I refuse to take because I do not want to become dependent on them, I do not like the feeling of not being in full control of my senses..or as they say "having my wits about me" and most importantly I feel that many medications just mask a health issue, for example pain medication may enable me to walk without pain or limping but it is not treating the root problem , the underlying condition that is causing the pain, limping and inability to walk normally.
  5. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

That's a very sad story. Pill addictions can be very lethal. If you know anybody who has this problem, it it best you get them help immediately.
  6. wulfman

I understand what you are saying to a certain degree but you are the second poster I have seen that said taking pills is "masking" a problem. If it is a hormone imbalance and you take a pill for it (e.g metformin for diabetes to control your blood sugar) how is that masking a problem ? Yes there may be herbal remedies for all of these things but those take a lot more time to work and sometimes don't solve the problem at all.
  7. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

You are correct, although I would advise people to seek natural remedies as a first choice. I should have said that the pharmaceuticals I personally have been prescribed only mask the problem. I should not have generalized.
  8. wulfman

I suppose I was a wee bit defensive because I myself take fluvoxin (SSRI) for OCD and 1 mg of Klonopin (benzodiazepine). Nothing would make me happier to slowly get off of them, especially the benzos but right now it is not something I want to play with. And quite honestly they turned my life around. Saved me from massive depression and a miserable existence. I hated waking up in the morning and hated life before taking these two drugs.
  9. wulfman

My mother is pushing meditation on me and says it will help with my racing thoughts a great deal. And then slowly I can lower my dosage. I am willing to give it a try but time is just a huge issue for me with work and family right now. Still I set 10 minutes aside each morning and try it. So far I have not seen any effects but I will remain committed.
  10. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have a friend that is hooked on Xanax. As long as she doesn't take the stuff she is fine. She was never prescribed the drug by a doctor. She just started taking it from one of her dopper friends. This girl has even went so far as to steal and wreck a cop car while on it. She is really a good, and decent person otherwise.
  11. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

This is sad to hear OP. It is difficult when you cannot get through to people who you are trying to help, especially a loved one. When they are in denial about their problem then that is the worst person to try to get to seek help. In this case sadly she took her own life.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's one of the worst things about benzos, they stop you giving a rats ass about anything! I bet your friend was mortified when she realised what she had done. Here's hoping your friend comes through the other side soon.
    karmaskeeper likes this.