An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pills stolen by Doctor

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by LamaHick, Jun 17, 2018.

1. LamaHick

LamaHick Member

I was given a prescription for 30 Percocet on Thursday June 14th and advised to take 1 every 6 hours as needed. I had surgery on June 15th and up until that time I had only taken 1 pill. Immediately after I awoke from surgery I had pains so they advised me to take 1 so I did. On Saturday I took 1 pill and the same on Sunday at my doctors office visit in which he informed me to bring my actual prescription. I gave him my prescription with 26 pills and I was given it back with only 15 pills. Didn't notice until I made it outside the door in which I immediately started calling him... No answer. So I call off my wifes phone he answers but when he hears my voice he hangs up and doesn't answer anymore.... What do I do???
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@LamaHick sounds like someone in that office stole some pills... as if he took some for a legit reason, he probably would have told you why...

i'm not sure what you can do. do you need the pills?
  3. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Who answers your wife’s phone? The doctor? How do you know it’s him? Also it’s probably good you have less Percocet right? Do you think you have an addiction or him?
  4. LamaHick

LamaHick Member

@Dominica I take them as needed, I'm supposed to be taking 4 a day I just had surgery friday, I've only tooken 2 since my surgery which was 3days ago, I care less about tge pills its the principle of the situation, by law he can take some of my pills but I have to be notified and he has to document it in which thats not the case I know I don't take them as much as I should but they're my pills that I had to pay for and he took them without consulting with me or notifying me
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. LamaHick

LamaHick Member

@CMMW I called the Dr off my wifes phone and the doctor called my wifes phone back and hung up once he noticed it was her, I've only tooken 4 pills out of the 13 pills I should have taken by now, it's the principle he didn't take tge pills and notify me he took them and knew I barely took them so I wouldn't notice but I did, so why take them and not tell me or notify the pharmacy, legally that's theft and its an issue because they want to know what happens to the pills my pharmacy knows 30 pills last me over a month so when they're gone like that I have to explain
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So it sounds like someone took your pill's,at this point i don't think you can do anything but if you had noticed at the time you could have probably called the police.It sounds like you have very good self control of how many you take considering you just had surgery.I do hope you have enough to get through healing and i hope you don't need to many more,however I do understand your point it should not have happened
  7. LamaHick

LamaHick Member

@True concern That's the point I'm making, my mom's a Nurse and when I notified her she was at her Boss house for a fathers day gathering and her boss stated he was about to call the board on him but I'm in school for nursing and I explained how would that look on my profile even though I did nothing wrong and he replied honestly he wouldn't hire anyone who turned in a Dr and its just because no one likes someone who's capable of telling on them even if they do everything by the book they might make 1 mistake and from someone's background who told they're liable to tell on them so it's pro's and con's to the situation
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@LamaHick... I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you're able to get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I hope you are able to keep your pain at bay with the pills you have. I'm sending you lots of healing vibes.
  9. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I understand now.It is unfortunate that anyone would do such a thing to anyone for any reason.It is a tough one and it sounds like nothing can be done at this point,however i would definitely find a new Dr and possibly give negative feedback online for the Dr who did this to you.I hope your surgery went well and i hope you have enough pill's while you recover.
    Cametobelieve0202 and deanokat like this.
  10. LamaHick

LamaHick Member

@deanokat I'm currently in pain but I don't take them until a last resort so they'll last me and thanks for the healing vibes
    deanokat likes this.
  11. LamaHick

LamaHick Member

@True concern It's crazy because I've had 4 surgeries by this same Dr since January, Hopefully it's all done after this if not I'll just find another General Surgeon
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  12. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@LamaHick that's great you only take the pills as a last resort.... and i agree that i hope you get to the bottom of this!
    deanokat likes this.
  13. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

It sounds like your doctors an addict, if he’s stealing pills from patients he’ll likely get caught. Given your situation and the backlash you could get from turning him into the board I would just let the situation go. Try to find a silver lining in all this. Maybe be grateful you don’t suffer from the same addiction your doctor does. What he’s doing is wrong and should be held accountable but at the same time try to have some empathy. He’s become desperate enough to steal patients pills. If he’s like most addicts/alcoholics he’s living in fear, filled with shame and self loathing. I feel for you that your having to deal with some pain but I also feel for the addict who still suffers. I will pray for him that he finds recovery.
    deanokat and True concern like this.