An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Places to Go for Inspiration

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 3, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

What places do you like to go to for inspiration?

Me... I like to go to beautiful parks. When I have extra money, I take trips to national forest parks. I find the energy in these big parks very calming and healing. I also like going to the beach and if I'm lucky, on boat rides. There's just something so very special about the ocean.

What about you?
  2. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

There is a hill located near my house, about a ten minute walk away through some woods. The hill is beautiful, with flowers spilling down the side and overlooking a pristine lake. This hill is great for reflection and relaxation.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well, I currently live on top of the mountains so there's a nice view where our house stands. You can see the outlines of neighboring islands. You can also see neighboring mounds and a distant view of the city. It looks really nice at night with colorful lights flickering about. I can go further up for an even better view. It's really breathtaking.
  4. springbreeze

@Dinofossil @xTinx Wow, you both are lucky! I live in the city, so I have to go to a park for really nice views. I'm surrounded by houses and condos. Fortunately I live near the coast. So, on nice windy days, I take pleasure in seeing the few trees we have move :D Probably, one of the reasons why I love traveling to national parks. It's a way for me to get away and breathe...
  5. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I like going to the mountains for inspiration. There's just something really different about the mountains. It's such a freeing feeling and I am able to look at the lowlands from there. I also like going to a secluded beach in the western part of the country, where the guesthouses are built in the trees. It's so peaceful and calm and gives my mind a chance to just stand still.
  6. springbreeze

I love secluded beaches too. It's hard to find them on the east coast. Just about everything is taken up with people, condo buildings and restaurants. But every once in a while I'm lucky and find a stretch with no one in sight. Those are good days, especially if I have a food with me for a picnic.
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

Nothing better than a good hiking day on mountains or forests to clarify some ideas, and think about what has been done, unfortunately these days; the places I used to visit to calm me down now are infested with people, and due to tourists, thieves started appearing in forests and roads making it dangerous to go visit those beautiful places.

Anyway, people that live or can easily go visit those places should feel lucky because there is nothing more relaxing than nature.
  8. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Springbreeze,

I guess I should clarify that I am from Ghana. The eastern shore has a lot of people, but the western shore does not. It is very much secluded. When I need a moment to clear my mind and I need some inspiration, I make an escape to the secluded shores, where all there really is, is just nature.
    springbreeze likes this.
  9. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I like to explore the places that led me to where I am currently at, since I have not moved much in my whole life in the city I reside. Whenever I'm bored looking at my computer screen or stuck on a project of sort, I do this past exploration on my mountain bike, and simply take a ride around the old places I use to go when I was younger, especially the places I use to go with my mother. Such an activity, humbles me because it's almost like I'm time-traveling, but only mentally. Many times, I ponder what other actions or inactions I would have done, knowing what I know now - truth is, what I know now is because I made all the choices I had made, and thus this bike riding reminds me of this fact, motivating me to strive on.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I like going to parks for inspiration as well, but I think anywhere I am as long as I can see the sun rise I'd feel inspired because it signifies a new day and generally the sun rise is just beautiful to watch as long as you know enough to stand still and look at it.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I use to visit an old friends grave site. Being there reminded me that life is to short and can be taken away from you. He ment a lot to me. So in his memory and our friendship, I will push on through and live my life the best I possibly can.
  12. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I like to get out into nature. Getting away from all the things that are stressful in my life is really helpful for me to be able to just focus on what I need to focus on and talk to God about things that are on my heart and things I really need to deal with rather than being caught up in all the little things that often clutter my mind.
  13. shandrum

shandrum Member

My favorite thing to do, especially during this time of year, is to go for runs through neighborhoods and see all the Christmas decorations and the lights at night. I also love it when the radio stations play Christmas songs the entire month until the new year. I always feel a sense of peace that just makes me smile.
  14. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

The ocean is my one true home. The moment I step onto the warm sand, all of my troubles and pains melt away with the gentle waves. I grew up on an island, so going to the beach brings back many fond memories of running along the shoreline with my cousins and collecting strange seashells.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also like going to natural parks for inspiration. I love the feeling of being surrounded with trees and other natural resources with the fresher air around compared to the city. I find it very peaceful and inspirational going to the churches too.
  16. La.oui

La.oui Member

I went to a boarding school atop a mountain when I was in high school The curriculum was geared toward the arts so you can tell why it was built there. When I get overcome with the stresses of city life or have to much emotional load to carry, I go back and visit my old school. There's a spot near the open-air theater that is overlooking a bay and the city below the mountain. I prefer going there at night so I get to see the twinkling lights. This is where I go to ground myself.
  17. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Many people find solitude in many different places. Some may love the sound of ocean waves. Some may like to go to church, the park or be alone at home.
  18. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Some people find peace and strength at church. I don't however, but my fmaily members find it as a place to find peace and hapiness. I for one like to be alone in the forest. Just a peaceful place where I can be alone with my thoughts and my best friend, my dog.
  19. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’m another fan of parks. There’s one in town where I like to pass through when I need some serious unwinding. Occasionally I enjoy secluded beaches as well. And walking around downtown can be great when I need a bit of stimulation and interaction rather than calm.
  20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It must sound a little weird but whenever I look for inspiration, I would just go to my room, lock the door, and let my imagination do the work. That has always been my thing. It's really effective to me.