An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the Forums?Join or

Please Help. I need advice.

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Jsonnier19, Nov 23, 2018.

  1. Jsonnier19

    Jsonnier19 Member

    I'm seeking advice for a situation that my fiance and his daughter are in. He currently lives in a house with his grandparents, daughter, mother and brother. The grandparents have said before they don't have a problem with any of them being there since it's a big house and everyone does their part. However, his mother is extremely addicted to Xanax and it's causing a lot of problems and it's getting worse.

    When Xanax isn't in the house, she an amazing person to be around. But when she gets her hands on it, she becomes a completely different person. She starts fights, both physical and verbal ones, with her parents and children, she will start crying and screaming that someone hit her when no ones put her hands on them, she's up all night begging for more Xanax and refusing to let my fiance or her parents sleep. She's never put her hands on the child, but she did start hitting her youngest son the other day for getting upset with her over being messed up and he left for his dads and doesn't want to come home.

    My fiance wants to move out but he doesn't want to leave his grandparents alone to deal with her and they don't want to leave her on the street. They control the medicine in the house and keep the Xanax in a locked safe, but she bullies the grandmother until she finally just gives in so she can sleep.

    I'm probably leaving out a lot of details and if I am, just ask and I'll provide more information. I'm just stuck. I've told my fiance countless times that his grandparents need to quit getting her prescriptions refilled and he said he's tried telling them that and that they agree, but she's so persistent and will refuse to leave them alone until she gets her medicine. I don't know what to do or how to help and it's killing me inside watching everyone suffer because she refuses to put the pills down. Please, if anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it. Just...anything I can do to help them without causing more problems.
  2. True concern

    True concern Moderator

    WOW it sounds like the person addicted is trying to escape something they don't want to remember, I could be wrong but I think a psychiatrist might be able to help,or some sort of counselor, unfortunately it is ultimately up to the addict to want to change and or get I would wait until the Xanax is gone and the person is in a better place mentally and have a serious heart to heart with her.I hope this helps.STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
  3. Dominica

    Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

    @Jsonnier19 hello there. thanks for reaching out.

    if all of the family can seek some sort of counseling, that may help. individually and perhaps family counseling. there are probably various dynamics to work through. your fiance could see a therapist to try to learn how to set boundaries...and also work on a plan to leave the home if this is what he truly wants.... he just may need support. i know he doesn't want to feel as if he is abandoning... that's understandable.

    it's a tough situation for sure.... is the mother receptive to treatment?