An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

please would love an advise

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by aloaiza88, May 29, 2019.

1. aloaiza88

aloaiza88 Member

How do you overcome being afraid of relapsing. Some times I meet with some sober friends or some of them drink no drugs involved (i was a drug addict) and the days before of hanging out with them or with anybody i get very anxious and nervous that i will relapse or something. i really want to overcome this feeling anf move on i been drug free for 2 years and 5 months now. Thanks in advance
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  2. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@aloaiza88 welcome to the community! I can't help you as I'm only a little over two months sober. I just wanted to welcome you. Hopefully someone who has more time can chime in to give you advice.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@aloaiza88 hey there. welcome! that's great you have over two years clean! good job!!

i can understand anxiety. i've had my share of that throughout my life. i wish i had a great answer for you. having a bit of anxiety can help us be vigilant about NOT using again... do you fear that you will drink? or drug? or both? if it were me, i wouldn't be able to drink, b/c that would make me closer to saying yes to drugs... i'm not in recovery for drugs, but i do know alcohol can make us more willing to do things we wouldn't normally do.

are the gatherings with your friends parties? or like dinner out? the setting might be something to look at.

regarding anxiety, try some deep breathing techniques, mindfulness, meditation... also this is something you could work with at therapy with a good therapist.

hope this helps. come here and share anytime
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Congratulations on your 2 years and 5 months of sobriety, @aloaiza88. That's fabulous! As far as the anxiety you're feeling, I can't speak to that from experience. But I think it will eventually start to fade the longer you stay sober. I think @Dominica's suggestions for you are good ones. Maybe think about attending some support group meetings, too? Keep on the right path, my friend!
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

I have a question, are you around friends sober that in the past youbwere around messed up. That could cause it. Like a resuraunt here where I'm living now.
    Its a little mom and pop place family owned. Same people run it now as 2p years ago. But going there now causes me anxiety because I used to take a,shot,before I went.
    Simple as that.
    Is your anxiety psychosomatic?
    If you used with them though them,that probably is the cause.
    Or mabey you just have socual anxiety? Im,an introvert. A lot of times i used just because I wasn't comfortable in public...
    deanokat likes this.
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Curious what do you call a person who basically stays inside always however once outside they never want to go back in but once they do it's hard to get them out again?And so on...Is that just depression?
  7. Joshstillclean

Sounds like me when I'm depressed or overwhelmed and just don't know what move to make next in life.
    Sounds pretty normal for people like us.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. brianbreaz

brianbreaz Member

The way I got over worrying about relapsing is having a plan if I ever have a craving or urge. Usually it was just a person to call and talk me out of it. Also just over time you get a little bit more confident in your sobriety but be careful and keep your guard then too.
  9. Joshstillclean

I second that yes!
    Must have a backup plan-heck, I think I probably have backup backup plans.
    But great advice!
  10. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

One thing that's helped me in that kind of situation is this idea of mental imaging. Like you picture yourself as a knight in shining armor, hold your head high, and think to yourself 'You know, I'm above all of this, and no matter what anyone thinks, I'm a better person for it. And nobody can change that.' Or whatever works for you. I remember reading about one Olympic athlete that said right before the race she would think of a single flame, like a candle flame, at her center and use that as a source for energy and a way to keep her concentration in check during the race. Maybe sounds strange... but she won the race :) .
  11. Joshstillclean

Addiction is more mental than physical I really believe that.
    Onceaddicted77 and cheffy like this.
  12. True concern

I believe it depends on other mental disorders and certain chemical deficiencies
  13. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I remember a study someone did on withdrawals from opiates where they had a kid that was addicted stop cold turkey but didn't him there would be withdrawals. The kid never complained about the withdrawals, never felt them. Not what you would call a rigorous study, but interesting nonetheless.

And @True concern you are right - I think mental disorders play a big part. Who would turn down a pill that would make your depression go away?
    Onceaddicted77 and True concern like this.
  14. True concern

Exactly