An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Poor Descisions

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

.Do drug users a s those who were abused in their childhood more likely to literally run away from their problems. I have a friend who just moved away because she was not making it and literally decided to run away from her problems. She has moved several times over the years and can't seem to gain any stability in her life.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I am sure there is some truth in what you say. Sometimes people are stable at a low level, but in terms of any real traction or getting what they want out of life it alludes them and they are always looking for the best thing. I will put myself in that category I think. However, yeah, I don't think you need to have been abused to run away from your problems.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Running away from problems is one of the most big and common mistakes, and I'm definitely there. The saddest thing about this is that at one point or another we are going to be almost forced to face with those problems, because the fact that we decide to ignore them, doesn't mean that they are going to disappear.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Drug use can cause instability of the mind; leading to confusion and erratic behavior. These type of people need to undergo medical treatment because it is unlikely that they can help themselves. They are usually caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and can either be shot dead or arrested and sent to prison for a very long time.
  5. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Instability... Poor decisions... Drug abusers have these problems. But believe it or not, even non-drug abusers can also suffer from these problems. The thing is, drug abusers have instability because they do have drugs in their systems and this can affect their moods and perceptions in life. This can then affect their decision-making capabilities. Oftentimes, they are too affected by problems, drug use and mental conditions to even make proper decisions.

Now, other people may not abuse drugs but they can also have these issues. The good thing is, they can actually get by with some support and help easily. Adding drugs into the equation just makes things harder and that's why drug abusers might need more help, support, therapy, counselling and treatment.

Running away might seem like the easy way out because it is. But it isn't really solving the problem at hand. The problem is still there, you just chose to avoid it. The best thing to do is to confront the problem and resolve it. Only then can you live your life with stability and make proper decisions.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I don't think a person necessarily has to be a drug user to think that running away from their problems is a good idea, I think we all have those thoughts from time to time.

Sometimes though, leaving and starting a fresh somewhere else can be a good thing, and its not always classed as running away, but more like starting again.
  7. toppot44

toppot44 Member

Well that's just it, substance and drug abuse will always cause personal problems and affect the livelihood of your well-being. Until the issue is addressed and there is a solution that can Aid the underlining problems, there is no escape.
  8. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I believe that this can be related to things you mentioned but it also can be vice versa thing. I mean, people who are unstable and have tendency to run away from their issues are sometimes doing this by using drugs. Sometimes that is an escape and that is some kind of opposite equivalent or something like that. I even think that it is more probable people go to drugs because they are a bit weaker and messed up than they get weak and run away because of drugs.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think childhood trauma and abuse really lay a lot of the foundation for how we react to things. I think that we all end up being shaped to a certain degree - and I think that desire to run away that people have as adults could very well be shaped by things in their childhood and by feeling like they didn't have that support network as a kid, or by simply having wanted to escape everything when they were small (but being unable to because they were a child).
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

You just can't run away from your problems. It's vital that you deal with your problems head on, as they are there for an important purpose. We all go through difficult periods in our lives, these challenges are meant to test us and make us better people.
  11. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Well that is not going to solve anything, it is the same as taking drugs. Problems always follow you if you don't deal with them. Your friend should know this by now if she has moved several times.