An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Poor medical treatment

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by pstrong1969, Nov 1, 2015.

1. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I relapsed on Heroin and Alcohol about 2 months ago. I decided to go to rehab to get clean. While i was there they gave me a bunch of meds. which gave me a condition called serotonin syndrome. This syndrome stopped my breathing and i had to be rushed to the E.R. While in the hospital they had to put me on life support. While trying to restrain me they broke both of my ankles. I came to while being intubated. My limbs were not restrained so i was flailing around. I made it off life support and came home with the two broken ankles but feeling much better otherwise. I cant help but feel angry for the treatment i was given. Although my life had to be saved, do to a doctor overmedicating me. I feel like i got poor medical treatment by both hospitals.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Wow I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I am sure they could have handled the situation much better then that. You have every right to feel angry by the treatment you received!
    deanokat likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@pstrong1969... I'm so sorry to hear about the things you experienced. Thank God you're still with us. If it were me, I would think about talking to a lawyer to see if there was any action I could take against the parties involved. I'm so glad you're feeling better. Keep doing the next right thing, my friend.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sorry to know how they have treated you but good thing that you was able to survive.
    Hope that you are feeling much better now especially about your ankles. They should know how to handle people properly.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@pstrong1969 Hello and welcome to this forum! I am sorry to hear that you had experienced a poor medical treatment in that hospital. And I am glad that you had survived from any physical harm and danger as a result of their negligence. I do hope that you are alright now and thanks God you are save from this kind of bad circumstances in your life.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. harold

harold Community Champion

I am sorry for the treatment you received. It is unfortunate that all these things had to happen to you. My prayers are with you. I pray that you completely recover in Jesus name. I wish you well. I thank God that you came back better. I wish to advice you to keep up a positive and optimistic altitude. Be strong and positive and all will be well. Again I am sorry for all that you went through. I believe that such experiences come in life just to make us stronger. Thank God you are stronger now. Receive your complete recovery.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think it might be worth speaking to a lawyer too. I think you definitely need some resolution on the issue and the worst thing you can do is let your feelings fester away inside you without taking any positive action. Because that very well might cause you to relapse.

You owe it to yourself and your future as a clean and sober man to seek resolution on this.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. queend17

queend17 Active Contributor

My grandma, was told by her doctor to stop taking the meds she's been taking for decades so that wayt she could better, about a few day later she ends up deathly ill and the doctors only do some to help her enough to end up with her in an old folks home and even then she'd still be as sick as dog, but that dicussion didn't last long cause the day after we found out that lovely piece of information she ends up passing on.... And this all started thanks to her personal doctor....
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I too am sorry for what you had to endure. The relapse, the horrible treatment leaving you with broken ankles all sounds horrendous. Still you are going to be able to fight this and regain your strength mentally and physically. It's not how many times you fall, it's how many times you get up.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

To Winterbelly: Thanks for the words of encouragement. Since all that happenned to me Ive stayed clean from drugs and alcohol and recovering well from my physical injuries. It really opened my eyes wide to what really is important.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello @pstrong1969 ! Don't let your experience of faulty medication discourage you from pursuing recovery. Many hospitals are not to be trusted these days. That's why you have to do your research. Read reviews and don't close your doors on alternative medicine. Always ask for second opinion.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Wonderful. I do love to hear these positive vibes. Being here and reading of the experiences of so many has opened my eyes to so much as well. I wish you nothing but success in your recovery. I am sure you know that we are all rooting for you. Much love to you.
  13. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

Sorry about what you had to bear brother. I don’t think that you had to be crucified to be made clean. There are much better alternatives to the kind of treatment you were given. I believe the doctors and nurses that handled you must have violated a lot of safe treatment mechanism and hid behind the fact that you had been intoxicated. If you check their reports they probably could have indicated “the victim to be violent and necessitates tougher restraint mechanisms.” Not every medical personnel is here to treat people with love and care, they like anyone else is bombarded by lots of frustration. Probably it was a bad moment for them and the care index they gave you was substandard. Otherwise I am glad to know that “your eyes were opened” and not you are braced for a brighter drug-free future. This incidence adds on to the story you shall narrate to folks out there who have taken a dive into drugs. It may “resuscitate” their minds to a good and quality life again. I am happy for you brother.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's sad that doctors get so used to their job that they end up going through the motions instead of truly caring for patients like real human beings ought to be treated.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I am sure that the medical staff did whatever was necessary to save your life. Unfortunately, sometimes that means that in the process of saving a life, injury is involved. For example, often when one gives CPR correctly, ribs are broken. At CPR training, we are told not to worry about broken ribs, but rather keeping the heart beating in order to save someone's life. Broken bones will heal, major organs will not. Hopefully similar situations can be avoided completely by staying clean and sober.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So sorry to hear you had to go trough this, I hope you are ok now? I hadn't heard from you in a while, I was hoping everything was ok. Please don't forget to check in with us from time to time, remember we are here to help, and yes, I can understand how you feel. I'm less than happy with my doctors, specially the one I saw last week... idiots.