An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Positive spaces to socialize in.

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by JonnyMacdonald, Jun 17, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I've seen some good conversation here about being around positive people and how to avoid negative ones.
    I just wanted to get a conversation going about places that you could go or groups to be a part of that can help us stay clean and sober. We all know how hard it is to leave old friends and ways behind, and it can be difficult to make new connections.
    So let me start with:
    Church - I know this one isn't for everyone but it has helped me so much. I am part of a great supportive community.
    AA - AA is a good network to be part of as we are all in the same boat trying to reach the same goals.
    Sports/Fitness - Some organized sports are been infiltrated with booze/drugs so you want to stay away from those (lot's of alcohol gets consumed in locker rooms after events unfortunately even though if its not permitted) but there is still lots of great options, as athletes tend to live health conscious clean lives.
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

You can also look for local groups of recovered people through Meetup or something of that sort. I think it is good to join clubs of your interest that are not drug and alcohol related as well.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I would also try community groups engaged in productive activities.

There is a community group where I live engaged in activities such as knitting, do-it-yourself household fixing, artistic painting and so on. In groups like this you can find new friends and keep your mind busy in something positive.

A reading/book club group or a literary group would be another option I would add to this list.
  4. recovered

recovered Member

I read somewhere that the most troubled individuals meaning those who suffer from depression, anxiety or previous drug use are usually the most creative and emotional people. If you have some interest in anything creative find like minded individuals who express themselves through art.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree on those places. Church is a good place to pray and think about things especially if you are a believer. A good place in nature could also help since it will be relaxing and you can also try to meditate. Joining volunteering groups could be a good idea too as it can be a fulfilling activity for you. :)
  6. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

AA and other 12-step programs have gotten a bad rap these last few years, but I still argue that they should be one of the first organizations a person goes to when seeking help. If it's not for you, then you've lost nothing, but the number of people I've known, including myself, who've had success with them is very large.

Also agree totally with Church if that suits you too. Or better still, a Church-based AA group!
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I love meetup! I am definitely going to use it when I move to the Netherlands :) That place offers so many choices to find like-minded people nearby! I love it, I hope it's as good as it looks and it works for me. We will see. If not I hope to meet new people in my language course or school :)
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Well Church and Sports sounds like a great place to start. There shouldn't be any drugs or drinking at church, and most athletes understand people being health conscious. Being around certain social groups could help you stay clean, but make sure you keep plenty of will power for a back up. God speed.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

For me personally, my journey has been one based on mind, science and spirituality. Through study and research and experimentation with the mind, I have discovered a path of spiritual enlightenment and have learned how to achieve what some would consider to be "supernormal" phenomena. I can become very interested in matters of the mind and spirit, including New Thought philosophy. One thing I have really been getting into lately is Theosophy and I intend to start visiting my local Theosophical Society. I think it could prove to be very intetesting.