An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Positive Thinking From The Start

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by VitaMuse, Mar 3, 2015.

1. VitaMuse

VitaMuse Member

Each day you wake up, remind yourself of everything that is positive in your life. Be it your family who love you, your friends who care for you, the fact that you have a roof over your head or the ability to acquire hot food. Just remind yourself of the little things that we all take for granted but are so blessed to have. Remember that happiness within yourself is what you truly desire, and realise that happiness can be achieved through positivity :)
    Sparkster likes this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's a good advice. I couldn't agree more, always be thankful for everything you have and always look forward to the day with a positive mindset.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. I think most of the time we take for granted how easy we have it compared to our ancestors, and even though we may feel down for now we must always remember that we are still fortunate to have all the modern conveniences that we have and that we have people around us who care.
  4. VitaMuse

VitaMuse Member

So true! It's easy to take things for granted because they are so accessible, but when you realise how easy we have it, life doesn't seam that bad :) Not saying that life can't get bad, but it's good to put it into perspective.
  5. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

Waking up with this thought everyday is very important, or at least I think it's important. As I tell a lot of people, I believe having a good start to your day is very important as a bad start can lead to a snowball effect. I always make sure I keep a smile after waking, up and hope the good day builds up to a great day.
  6. debbie24

debbie24 Member

A positive attitude helps you cope more easily with the daily affairs of life. It brings optimism into your life, and makes it easier to avoid worries and negative thinking. If you adopt it as a way of life, it would bring constructive changes into your life, and makes them happier, brighter and more successful.

With a positive attitude you see the bright side of life, become optimistic, and expect the best to happen. It is certainly a state of mind that is well worth developing.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That's really nice. :)
    Right that those little things are actually the ones that really matter. We should try to see the better side of things and feel the happiness of being able to live free.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Being greatful and thankful for the little things in life is very important. There are always going to be things we want more of, but we have to take what life has give to us and be thankful for it. My mom always told me that there are people out there who are worse off than we are and still find ways to be joyful each day.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

True that. As the old saying goes, "life is what you make." Philosophers on one hand would tell you that you are what you think or feel, which, if you think hard on it, does hold a lot of water. People have to understand that the key happiness is not elsewhere but in themselves and in the people who make them feel secure about themselves. Happiness, more often than not, is an inside job.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

So true. If people would only be thankful instead of being ungrateful and complaining about their problems, then the world will surely be a better place. I used to dwell on the negative before, but I changed my mindset, and it made a difference on how I live my life. Being positive makes you thankful, and you can accomplish more as well as compared to being negative and insecure.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

That's right! Me too as I wake up in the morning the first thing that I am doing is I always pray and thanks God for giving me another day in my life to live. I am also praying to Him that I am surrendering to Him all what will happen to me for the day and asking for his protection and guidance as I face my life for that new day. These prayers are my inspiration to start my day and be happy within myself.
  12. jon

jon Active Contributor

Thank you for that advice I will start applying that today. I have been focusing on positive thoughts but first thing in the morning, with a specified plan to start, will be better.
  13. shmangie

shmangie Member

I agree. I try to stay as positive as I can each day. Even when things get bad I try to remind myself that there are so many good things in my life and that I shouldn't let one bad thing ruin my happiness. Having a positive mindset can help you through a lot of things. Being grateful and thankful to those around you. If you wake up and just smile because you're alive and well. I practice doing that and I end up having quite a beautiful day. It's easy to let something get in your way, but you just stick to positive thinking and life will get easier to handle.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Make sure to also keep yourself full of positive people. There is nothing that will bring you down faster than negative people in your life.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This is timely. While we want to apply this principle ourselves, we want to likewise encourage others around us to also embrace positive thoughts and actions. I have been talking about this recently with my son, who like me sometimes feels like crumbling under the pressures of life.

It's so important that we recognise that even though things are not always what we want them to be we ought to shift our focus to what is good and positive and be grateful for all the positive things and people we have in our lives. It's really something we ought to start our day with: positive energy.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is a good one. Over and over this one comes up. We get caught up in other things so sometimes this gets lost in the dust. I would sit and write this one out as an exercise. It's a good focus.
  17. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Most definitely true. Realizing all that you have and all the good things that is in your life can help fight off the bad and keep you grateful for the things or people who are there for you. Being appreciative of the positive things in your life can change the mindset you have and attitude towards each day. Points for this in my opinion.
  18. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

Absolutely. I absolutely agree with this and I think this is the way to reach happiness. It all begins from within, because the world that you live is all lived out from within you, it all flows from within you. If you think positvely, it is going to be positive, if you think negative, it is going to be negative, change your inner self to who you truly want to be. :)
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Many people believe that positive thinking is over-rated. In reality, it's highly under-rated. The power of positive thought is much more powerful than most people realize. It can achieve things which defy modern science. It's true that the only thing a person has is their beliefs. Without their beliefs, they are nothing.
  20. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Absolutely Sparkster! It can be difficult to think positively in the midst of really difficult circumstances, but trying to always do it is the way to go. I think if positive thinking doesn't come naturally it can be worked at until it is more of a habit. You have to reframe circumstances to see them in a better light.