An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Positive withdrawal symptoms

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by daniel, Feb 5, 2015.

1. daniel

daniel Member

So while everyone (not only on this forum) is focusing on the negative withdrawal effects, I want to talk about the positive ones.

Since I've stopped smoking (only 5 days ago) I have SO MUCH energy. I can't even describe it. I'm jumping around the apartment, driving my roommate crazy lol. I'm seriously beginning to consider doing some sports. That probably isn't special to you, but if you knew me you'd know how crazy that is!

Other than that, I can actually taste food and smell...well, everything. I had no idea my room had the "stench" it had, actually. And the taste of food is so much...richer and fruitier. I want to start smoking and then stop so I can experience the difference again haha. (jk)

Anyways, am I alone on this one?
    nemo19 likes this.
  2. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

One thing I noticed was my sense of smell came back, but that could have also been from less smoke in the house covering the smell of everything o_O

Smell certainly was a big one, because once I stopped I could start smelling it on other people, and thought is that what I smelled like all along?? Yikes.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

More money in the wallet? hahhaa
    One of the positive "withdrawal" effects I also know of (for my boyfriend) is that I'm much more happy kissing him and hanging around him since he stopped smoking cigarettes! Also, I nag less. I'm pretty sure there are a few more positive things for him, too.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have found that I have a ton more energy now as well. Now I crave good food and beverages. I have not been over eating, but I do get excited to sit down and eat at mealtime. I have also been researching a lot of new recipes to try so that I have something to look forward to.
  5. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

That's awesome!! There are definitely some positive side effects to quitting smoking and it's awesome that you're experiencing so many! Hopefully that's enough to keep you from going back.

I had a friend who drove me nuts when she finally came off her anti-depressants/anxiety meds....but in a good way! The initial bit wasn't all that great for her, but once she adjusted, it was like this huge fog lifted off her. She was no longer in this constant sedated mindset like she was while taking the pills. They did help her for the first couple years she was on them, but eventually it was time to come off them and it was so nice to see her adjust to living without them.
  6. Rosyrain

I have heard that anti depressants make you feel like a sedated zombie and that is why people don't like taking them. My fiance was on them years ago and he was a completely different person, in a strange way. Now he just kind of self manages his symptoms and I am just a little more patient with him.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Great to here that you've been leading a good life after quitting smoking. This positive withdrawal of yours is a good example and could inspire other chain-smokers to stop their vice now, and that life after quitting is really a much happier one. Have a great life!
  8. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

Haha, so happy to hear someone embrace the other side of withdrawal. While this is obviously something pretty limited to smoking, it's funny how withdrawal has opened up a new (or perhaps rather, forgotten) world to you, I've actually heard people talk about how much better food tastes after smoking before, so while I haven't experienced it myself, I imagine it must be great fun to suddenly have stronger sensations :D
  9. Rosyrain

It can also make you very fat if you are not careful :p. I have noticed that my jeans are fitting a little tighter these days so I went to the store to get broccoli and apples to chew on. I would not be so worried about it, but it is still a little too cold to work off all the calories.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Congratulations to your 5 days of abstinence. :) By now it must be nearly three weeks since you stopped smoking... that's if you didn't light up again. Imagine if 5 days have such a profound effect on you, what one month or two cigarette-free months will do for you. You will be discovering a totally natural world again, filled with the scent of flowers, the taste of fresh food and so much more... ;)
  11. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Congratulations! I think many drugs have positive withdrawal symptoms, it's a good thing that you chose to focus on these only - many people get angry and irritable when they quit smoking.
  12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Regaining your sense of smell is a huge benefit of quitting smoking. In fact, once you get rid of all your "smoker" clothes and replace them with new ones without those odors, as well as clean your place from top to bottom, that alone is often motivation to stick with it - because your place suddenly smells so much better.

I also liked how I was able to start walking and being more active again without getting short of breath. Going up three flights of stairs with big bags of groceries was no longer a problem any more.

As for cutting back on drinking or quitting drinking, during times that I did that, I also noticed I was less inclined to impulsively eat junk food. Since I wasn't hung over and miserable the next day, I actually had the energy and enthusiasm to cook healthier meals for myself instead.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Awesome to hear about all the positive sides of withdrawal. Things like extra energy and regaining a sense of smell are both amazing things. We often talk about how hard withdrawal is and don't focus on the things we get back from quitting, so this was a good uplifting thread to read.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The first thing that usually come back is your taste and smell. A lot of people when they do first stop smoking find that they have a lot more energy, and as long as that's put to positive use then that's the main way to stay smoke free.
  15. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

I myself have quit smoking several times and have also experienced the smell and taste positive effects. Its kind of cool that you are getting so much energy! Whenever I stop I usually turn into Godzilla on a power trip that just got handed the keys to have free reign on New York City! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are progressing.
  16. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I'm glad to hear that, Daniel! Thanks for sharing!