An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Possible reasons for drug and alcohol misuse affecting young people?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by husthouterd, May 19, 2015.

1. husthouterd

husthouterd Member

Your answers will help me with my research for a presentation that I have to give on the above subject. Is the raise due to culture, or possibly class, or is it just the 'throw away mentality' because some youths feel that their lives will come to nothing.
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Welome @husthouterd. I'm sure that your heart will be filled with love and longing for fellow human beings to complete truth and healing. Observation and hearing people about their struggles help us see people through the lens of love and truth. Deep and strong sense of justice for our loved ones and loved friends who are caught up in the crossfire between truth (good) and evil (falsehood) that you begin to have that urgency of a mission to save souls-- value lives.

I hope you stick around and see with deep understanding and reverence about the sanctity of life. Walk with us as we learn from each other. :)
  3. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I think the main reason young people misuse/abuse drugs and alcohol is simply due to experimentation. I think that what happens thereafter is directly related to circumstances such as culture/class/family involvement, like how far their experimentation goes, does it become an addition or for social use.I don't know if I agree so much with the throw it away mentality (their life), I think youth simply don't consider consequences before they act, they live in the moment and not in the future.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I don't think people look that deeply into it when they're young. I'd say most young people start usuing drugs, simply because of peer pressure. You tend to be impressionable when your young and want to fit in.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

For some youth, drugs can carry an allure of sorts, no matter how false it is. Possibly more so if they’ve been warned not to try it in some cases. Pair that with a lack of foresight, a willingness to experiment, and peer pressure, and you’ve got some major reasons for young people to try out and possibly end up misusing drugs.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think the rising use of drugs is due to curiosity, and the mood and environment of the person. We all know that sometimes, when a person is very depressed, they tend to try to forget their problem by taking drugs or drinking alcohol. But we know that that is not the answer to our problems.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

There are various reasons why youth nowadays turns to drugs. It could be due to curiosity, they just want to experiment on them. It could also be because of peer pressure, they are just influenced by their friends or those people whom they are closed to. It could also be hereditary or psychological. Either way, the bottomline is, drugs would never do anything good to people.
  8. AM1127

AM1127 Member

Hello all,
    I must say that over the years I have learned that there are many reasons why teens experiment with drugs. Sometimes it's peer influence or peer pressure. Some feel that they need to go along with the crowd in order to be accepted. Other times it's more serious issues like abuse occurring in the home, abuse that occurred at a earlier point in their life, or that's happening in some type of relationship. In rare cases, it could be related to genetics as children who are born to parents who are substance abusers have a higher chance of becoming substance abusers later in life. I have witnessed all of these first hand. Good luck with your research and presentation.
  9. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I say a big part of it is peer pressure. You cannot underestimate the impact of peer pressure on our younger population, nor the significance of addiction in the family or the existence of established substance abuse in the area you grow up in, but no single factor alone is like to cause substance abuse, but together these factors can add up and account for why children as young as 8 years old end up with serious addictions.
  10. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Bad Parenting. If Parents paid more Attention to the emotional needs of their Kids, the kids wouldn't have to seek it out from the bottom of a bottle. It's not always that simple. But it is a major part of the problem.
  11. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

When I was a teenager we used drugs and alcohol to fight boredom.
  12. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

The factors that go into this are vast. They vary from peer pressure, boredom, emotional distress, and parental neglect. Young people are very volatile. So honestly, any single one factor can make them turn to using substances. Doctors and therapist have tried for years to pinpoint an exact cause. But they haven't and never will.