An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Post knee surgery update

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Oct 17, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Ok so I am apparently a dumbass lol,I went to get my staples removed today(8)day's post surgery and I went with no crutches or cane and the surgeon said"what are you doing?your supposed to be on crutches for 3-5 week's"...well when your told RIGHT OUT OF SURGERY I thought he said 3-5 day's so ya I guess I have to slow down even more
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Liola ! Hey there! I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how you were. I'm so glad that you gave us an update. I'm glad that you're getting a little bit of exercise in. I hope that you were able to get some sunshine today. I do understand substituting one addiction for another, and I'm glad that you see that that's what you were doing.

Great about the step work too!! :)

Sounds like you're doing well and I'm happy to hear that!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  3. Dominica

oh my gosh!!! yes, slow down you!!
    True concern likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

You're not a dumbass. You were probably just groggy from the surgery and misheard the instructions. In any case, I'm glad you know now what you should (and shouldn't) be doing. At least the staples are out. Progress!!! Take it easy, Arthur!!!
    True concern likes this.
  5. deanokat

So happy to hear you're starting work on the 12 Steps again, @Liola! One foot in front of the other! One day at a time! Keep taking those steps in the right direction, my friend! :)
    True concern likes this.
  6. deanokat

How are you doing today, Arthur (@True concern)? Hope your knee is feeling at least a tiny bit better. And that you're getting around on your crutches alright. Sending love and healing in your direction!
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  7. True concern

I'm doing a little better today, after surgery I only had enough pain meds for the first week even though I'm still in some discomfort so I saw my primary care physician this morning and I was completely honest with her about the surgeon dragging me along for 8 month's on Norco and he refused to back me down to limit the pain as I get back on track,basically said take Tylenol and deal with this cold turkey.I considered cold turkey again but honestly I have done that agonizing process to many time's so my primary care physician was very compassionate and said she will help me taper back to limit the agony which I truly appreciate and come Dec 1st I can get back to running :):):confused::)
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Dominica

@True concern That's wonderful news that you'll be able to get back to running soon! Just please make sure that if you experience a lot of pain when you first start off, that you'll slow down or take a break. Be wise. I'm glad that you'll be able to taper down on the meds. And that you're feeling a bit better today. December 1st is right around the corner. Wow! Pretty soon you'll be putting you're running profile picture up there! :D:rolleyes:
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  9. True concern

Ya it's a different approach for me honestly as usually I go cold turkey but even though this is online support I have learned a lot like,TRY not to punish myself so much,so I have decided to taper this time to maintain my health especially since this past 8 month's I really had no choice if I wanted to walk.Yes I will take it slow when I return to the gym,my plan is to start off walking basically 1 hour a day at regular speed for the first week and gradually increase every week as last time I thought I was still 20 lol after surgery I pretty much accept I'm not....for now until my leg is healthy. I will be changing my profile picture when I get back to the treadmill so everyone can see my progress and when I do I will explain why the current picture is a feather inches from the the surface.Thank you all for your support, I didn't know what to think when I first started sharing but you all have helped me find a path back to confidence and the desire to do better for myself and other's, I'm sure you all realize you help people like myself but from the bottom of my heart for 37 year's I couldn't find hope and collectively you all have helped me find it at last.I love you guy's.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  10. Dominica

@True concern Good morning! I'm glad to hear that you're committed to taking it slow and listening to your body as you do start back to exercising. I'm also glad to know that you like yourself better now. I think we can all relate to negative feelings about ourselves at times. This is one reason I think Community is important. To have others in your life that will mirror our goodness and our potential. I'm incredibly grateful for this forum and for you! And know we love you too!

Have a blessed Friday Arthur!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  11. deanokat

I'm glad you consulted your doc about the taper plan, @True concern. Yeah, cold turkey is one way of doing it. But why torture yourself (again) if you don't have to? It's more than okay to do it this way. And it's great that you're doing it under medical supervision. It's always okay to ask for help!

Happy Friday, my friend!! Hope you have a fabulous day and weekend!!!
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  12. True concern

Yes you are correct community is absolutely vital to the process, I tried for 20 year's to tame myself through my own common sense that I was doing the wrong thing and as I started reaching out I then started to understand how insane that effort was especially when I really let it sink in that "My common sense"kept me high or drunk or both for 20 year's. Trying to get back to a realistic healthy lifestyle alone simply cannot work,not for me anyways I was literally driving myself to complete and utter madness trying to process my addiction alone.This forum will forever be apart of me piecing me back together and I am truly grateful for you all.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. True concern

Oh and I hope you all have a blessed beautiful weekend as well
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  14. deanokat

Gratitude is a two-way street, @True concern. We are very grateful for you as well!
    True concern likes this.