An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

potential and trust

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by recovered, Aug 14, 2015.

1. recovered

recovered Member

So, I made a mistake and created a social media profile on one of the sites where I met several drug dealers and perpetuated my habit. I feel horrible; even though the site is not intentionally used for drugs it was part of my problem. I didn't find myself tempted to get drugs or smoke or drink again; having a conversation with someone not in diapers is comforting every once in a while. My mom and brother found out and the way they talked to me about it and the tone of their voices made me entirely ashamed for trying to reach out for human interaction. I feel like I can't trust myself, and worse that my family won't ever be able to trust me again. Has anyone else ever felt this way? How did you handle it?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's not a bad thing to reach out for human interaction, but make sure that those people you are dealing or having a conversation with would help you recover and would not make your addiction even worse. I think you can be able to regain your family's trust as long as you try to prove to them that you are now willing to change your ways for the better. It's never too late to change and start something new.
    kassie1234 and gracer like this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

There is nothing wrong with reaching out as long as you are not slipping back into your old habits again. Your family has concerns about it and I am sure they worry about you. They are only looking out for you. Have you talked to them and tried to explain yourself and why you choose to do what you did. I am sure in time you can regain their trust by proving to them that you have no interest in getting back to your old ways.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Moat of us need human interaction in our lives to feel normal, but you have to be careful who you interact with. You might consider deleting your profile on the social media site with all your former drug friends and find interaction elsewhere. This is a good place to come if you want to talk and vent without being judged or encouraged to go back to your old ways.
  5. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@recovered My whole family found out about me smoking at the time I thought they would kill me if they found out. but let me tell you a fact: it'll pass ! beside that you should not care what anyone thinks of you... don't apologize for being a man and don't be ashamed of yourself! the family will get along once they see your confidence
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hello @recovered! Thank you for coming into this forum and sharing your story. :)

The others ahead of me are right, it's just but human to seek for interaction with others. You just have to be careful on who you're interacting with because there are always someone who could potentially do you more harm than good. I'm sure your family only meant the best for you because they don't want you to go back to addiction once more. Having an open communication with them and expressing all your thoughts and concerns to them will help them understand you more and same is true with you. Who knows, the interaction you have been looking for outside your home can even be found within it if you will listen to each other. The love and understanding that a family can offer can be so great if you open your heart to it.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You just need to prove to them that you can be trusted. Stay home and show them that you are capable of being sober. Trust has to be earned again. By doing drugs again you are setting yourself up for an inevitable let down again.
  8. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

There's nothing wrong with wanting the attention of other human beings, but this obviously seems like a case where you knew that you weren't necessarily using the best avenue for interacting with others. It happens, but your family seems to have reacted far too strongly against you, all things considered. I think it'd be a good idea to sit down and talk with them about why you made that decision. They should understand after that.
  9. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

I don't think what you did was wrong, so long as you weren't using the website to reach out to your dealers in any way. I personally lost all trust from my family, and I'm currently, albeit slowly, rebuilding that trust, one step at a time. Just keep on moving forward!
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Don't let the thoughts of having lost your family's trust keep you from interacting with others online. However you'll need to carefully choose who you communicate with. I'd suggest finding an active forum where you'll meet people who discuss stuff that interests you. You'll make some good friends on those forums. Keeping oneself busy [even if it's chatting with friends online] is a good way to keep one's mind off drugs.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Every human wants interaction - we are social creatures by nature so we crave that and seek it out. But as others have already said, we need to ensure the relationships we have are ones that are going to be positive for us and not bring us back to square one all over again.