An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Powerless Over Addiction

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by pstrong1969, Aug 19, 2015.

1. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I have 4 daughters, 1 of which i know is an addict, the other 1 has a great potential to be 1 but her life hasnt got unmanageable yet. Im prayin it doesnt. I try to convey to them how much Pain my addiction caused me. I guess they want that experience but i dont want to see them struggle. Man this is Painful. But as much as i know about the disease of addiction i know there isnt much i can do but Pray to God for them and hope they find a better way to live. I am Powerless, i cant humanly fix this, so i leave it in God's hands. Please pray for my daughters. Thank you for all your feedback.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Believe that God will help and also keep offering your daughters advice. Spend more time with them and together do things they enjoy doing. This builds trust and they'll confide in you about their struggles. You'll be there to offer the parental advice that will steer them in the right direction. You could also watch moves about addiction/drug abuse together, they could also learn something from them [the movies].
  3. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Thanks for your story pstrong1969, and my thoughts are with you. Have you tried ascertaining why your daughters are interested in drugs of addiction? Perhaps there is an underlying cause for their reliance on substances - be it escape, environment or peer pressure.

I am sorry to hear you've been through addiction yourself, but hopefully this will mean that you can share some of the mistakes and lines of thinking that unwittingly made you fall for a particular substance. Professional help, such as your primary care physician might be able to help refer you to physical support groups or psychologists to help deal with strategies to avoid your daughters falling victim too.
  4. pstrong1969

Primarily I believe addiction issues are passed from generation to generation by a genetic predisposition. All a person has to do is use the substance there predisposed to and you have addiction. There are other factors, like environment, lack of coping skills etc....or just not using any substances.2 out of 4 daughters knows better than to abuse drugs the other 2 are researching. Bottom line is I don't want them to go down the path I did.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@pstrong1969... Thanks for sharing with us. I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Keep educating those daughters of yours.

Peace and hugs.
  6. light

light Active Contributor

What a difficult situation you are facing! I will pray for you and your daughters and please keep faith too. Talk with your three other daughters that are still sober and ask them to help their sister, to give her love and stay more close to her. I know it’s easier saying it than doing but don’t give up, do all you can to help your daughter to become sober again. Never stop supporting your daughter and don’t lose faith, we will be praying for you and your daughters!
  7. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

I am moved by your faith in God and the Declaration of your helplessness. You have submitted that you are helpless which makes God the focus. Yes I will help you pray.
  8. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

I also share that theory. It's like a generational curse or something. Like a cycle that's unending. According to your faith, which is Christianity, someone has to break it, and the best person is you. Continue praying sir and you are being lent the support of others in this forum.
  9. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

You are not powerless, in fact you’ve already started doing something for them and that is asking God’s help. Even when we think we are alone, we’re not. God is always by your side and in the moments you feel you can’t take it anymore he will carry you on his shoulders. Open your eyes every day and be grateful for all that you have and for your daughters, because they’re amazing beings. Be grateful because life is wonderful and because your daughters are strong. We all have to go through some things in life, and your daughters are not the exception. Don’t lose your faith in them, don’t lose your faith in God and most importantly don’t lose the faith in yourself. No matter what you are an amazing human being and you have the power and strength not only to change your destiny but also to help them.
    pstrong1969 likes this.
  10. pstrong1969

Thank You so much for your reply to my Post,( lalabee21). It was amazing to hear those words from someone I dont know. Your faith in God is very strong, Im working on my faith on a daily basis. I know hes giving me the strength to stay clean from drugs and alcohol.
  11. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I know that sometimes shitty things happen, and sometimes it may even seem that God and the universe are conspiring against us. But the truth is that miracles happen every day around us, but most of the time we don’t notice them.

The best piece of advice I could ever give you is to practice gratitude. This is more powerful than you can imagine. I know sometimes we feel we don’t’ have anything to be grateful for, but this is not true.

Just be grateful every day because you are alive, because you can breathe and because you have two beautiful eyes to see the world. Be grateful because you’re not perfect, life would be boring if you were. Be grateful for everything that has gone wrong and for every mistake you ever made because they have made you grow as a person. Be grateful because you have feelings, because you want to be better every day, for who you are and for who you want to be. Be grateful for everything you have and also for what you don’t have because all that you want you can have. Be grateful for all your moments of solitude, for all the doubts and questions you have, for all the bad habits you left behind and for every time you struggled against yourself.

Be grateful and smile, life is wonderful, it really is. All you have to do is open your eyes.

If you ever feel you’re stumbling or just need a friend or someone to talk to I’m here, ok? It was very nice meeting you and sharing this moment with you.
  12. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I feel humbled that there souls here who believe in a higher power as an antidote to addiction in this increasingly secular world. There are spiritual powers, it has to be told, that influence individuals to commit vices which we mere mortals try to counteract with physical means. If the problem is spiritual (not all of them are) a 3 day dry fast and midnight prayers will snuff out major spiritual problems at their roots. As a Christian, nothing looks insurmountable.