An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Preaching!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Mar 18, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

Helping others by preaching to help you get a strong hold in your own belief and cause of your fight - is it helpful? As for me, when I lecture on my beliefs to encourage say my cousin, it makes more inspired to do more and it strengthens my faith of what I do. I think it really does help to share what your believe, because they are the source of your inspiration, and even more rewarding is when you see that it's actually making sense as there are people that you see good effects of your effort. Preaching doesn't have to be about religion, it's just basically discussing what moves you, your encouragements.
  2. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Preaching is a nice way to share to other people the real essence and value of life. Encouraging them to have strength and to stay strong to all those trials that comes in their life is already a good source of inspiration coming from your preaching. Let them realize that when they fall down they can still stand up again and all the best is to come in their future. From my own point of view it is helpful in some ways and there is no wrong in sharing to other people our beliefs that can help them and serves as good insights to what they are going through with their life.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think preaching is actually a pretty good idea to inspire other people because you somehow share to them your experiences, views, beliefs, and opinions. By doing that, you're also imparting life lessons to them which could be very relevant in their lives. It doesn't really have to be a serious preaching, add a little bit of humor into it so it wouldn't sound boring to them.
  4. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Preaching is a good way to get a point across and is able to reach someone right were they need help. I think when preaching its also important to be understanding to whom you are preaching to.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I believe that the fear of being labeled a hypocrite would force you to "practice what you preach." That reason I believe though [you might be] driven by fear of being judged negatively is good enough to keep you off drugs. In any case your faith and the belief that you will overcome will see to it that you eventually permanently beat an addiction.
    Clairelouise84 likes this.
  6. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I can't bring myself to preach. I can try to give advice if they are willing to take it. I can answer any questions they have for me. But I can't preach. Don't think I'm saying you are doing anything wrong by preaching, you most definitely are NOT... especially if it helps BOTH of you. I personally feel like I lose them when I preach at/to them. Then it becomes counter productive and accomplishes nothing but getting us both worked up.
  7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

You can gain some benefits preaching your words you have to be careful about how you do it. If you are too aggressive then people would be offended.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have done a reasonable amount of preaching in the past, but I have to tell you it does not work for a lot of young persons who might have been raised in a religious household. I know about this firsthand. That said, I have had greater success, listening and reasoning with young people many of whom insist they don't want to be preached to.

It's been my experience that preaching works better for people who are searching for God or religion as opposed to those who might have been introduced to God and religion at an early age and deviated from one or sometimes both.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I think it's really okay to preach as long as you know where you stand and that you're also practicing what you preach. There are people whose words don't really match their actions. So I guess it wouldn't really sound right if you tell others to do something you're not capable of doing yourself. Preaching should only be limited to what you're capable of doing.
  10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I think preaching to people who don't want to hear it can be counterproductive. I know when I was getting preached to I would just try to avoid the person doing the preaching. When I feel like I need to hear a sermon I go to church. I don't want to hear it from peers, friends or family.
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. Winterybella

I have been in contact with several especially young people with this thinking. They just don't want to be preached to. They find it frustrating and feel like they have heard it all before. A lot of times people just need someone to listen, understand and support them.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  12. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

I do not think preaching about anything is a good thing, I think you should be free to make your own decisions without having something pushed on you. I am a strong believer in having your own opinion about something, but preaching it is not something I will ever condone or listen too.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  13. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I'm not "especially" young, and if I ask for advise I take it into consideration. I'm in my mid 30's and work with people on a daily basis. I don't think anybody really likes to hang out with a person who is preaching all the time.
  14. Winterybella

I would still hasten to add that I think a lot of people who feel the need to preach genuinely believe it's what is needed to help the individual. My mom for example has one of the kindness hearts and has a genuine concern for her gran kids who might be mixed up in drugs. I have watched how it affects her to the core.

When she has the opportunity to interact with them, she can't seem to do anything but "preach" or make some mention of her God and I know it is with the best of intentions. I try to reason with her that her preaching might push them future and even though she says she understands, it's difficult for her to remain mum and not "preach". It's a way of life for.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

What do you mean by "preaching" exactly? Do you mean like in a religious sense to a large audience or do you mean delivering a long lecture to an individual about their substance misuse? Because if it's the latter, I'm afraid that could easily be misconstrued as "nagging". Change has to come from within and an individual can only decide to change if it's what they have decided for themselves.
  16. Winterybella

Good question, but in my case I am thinking about both. A person might not be "preaching" God or religion but their delivery could be such that they come across as being "preachy" and I doubt many will respond to that.
  17. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Preaching does not necessarily mean anything is being forced on you, it is for you to choose to listen or not. In the past much of the preaching was from a very religious standpoint. Now, many have realized that God is coming from a relationship standpoint, while the religion and rules are from man. Preaching cannot be defined in one way as there are many different ways. Talking to someone in a gentle way can be preaching. The thing is to be yourself and not to attempt to behave like someone else. That is just wrong and not God's way of reaching anyone. There is no-one out of His reach and He is able to meet each one where they are at, in a way that relates to them. He is often portrayed incorrectly, but the truth is He is a loving God who we do not have to run from. He delivered me from alcoholism many years ago, and He did it very quietly and quickly without the help of others. He heard my cry and answered my prayer.I have never had a problem since.
  18. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I take it you mean preaching in your own congregation or to your friends and relatives of the same faith. It's a pretty good idea; it helps you reaffirm your faith by essentially making you state your beliefs in front of people you care. Now you have the responsibility to practice what you preach.
  19. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

What should a non religious person like me do instead of preaching? It never works for me and never will. Maybe I should vent to another person instead of some all mighty guy/girl?
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

Preaching is a good option to keep up your spirit especially if you are courageous enough. If you cannot then join your friends for bible study. This makes you live positively in life. One must learn to pray at every time not only when we are in trouble.