An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Prescribing Children Serious Drugs

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Liv6, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I found out recently that my doctor had prescribed to me a Class C drug when I was little (around six years old) and my mother had to wean me off of it, as is the case with most serious/dangerous drugs. Last summer, I was also prescribed Vicodin for my wisdom teeth removal, and I had a huge problem getting off of it as I had gotten way more pills than I had bargained for. Do you think that certain drug categories should be banned for minors due to their addictive nature? Also, do you feel like this would have an effect on the number of future prescription drug addicts?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is alarming to know since doctors should be the ones who know what will be best for their patients. I am no expert or related to any medical field so, I cannot answer that directly. But I think better to get second opinion or even third when there are doubts on the prescription.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I was on phenobarbital as a toddler myself. Because of my age, it was the only treatment option available to me at the time (and remember that this was the 1970s).

I'm sure that such drugs are not prescribed unless there's no other option. After all, drugs like Ritalin and Adderall are frequently given to children.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It's shocking how often doctors prescribe unnecessary drugs to children for problems that could be solved with natural remedies. When I was a kid, I suffered from chronic ear, nose and throat infections. My mother dragged me to the doctor every month, insisting that I take all the prescribed medicines, mostly antibiotics. But I secretly spat those pills out again, as their taste made me feel sick. The big change in my life came when my ignorant mother finally stopped forcing milk and dairy products down my throat. All my life I felt nauseated by the taste and smell of anything associated with milk, but I was just regarded as a "difficult" child and told to stop with all the nonsense when I refused to drink it. Well, it turned out that I don't have much of a toleration for lactose. So, interestingly enough, when I was told that my adenoids had to be removed, I point refused to drink any more milk. What made me do it? It was instinct. And, guess what happened? I've never suffered another throat, nose or ear infection again in my entire life...
  5. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Yes, I agree that there should be monitoring on what types of drugs are prescribed to children. I used to work with children in foster care, and I believe 100% that many were taking pills they should not be taking. Sad.
  6. Sevrin

Sevrin Member

In my experience, also because my parents are pharmacists and pretty much everyone else in my family is a doctor or related, I've never had a problem. The doctor may prescribe something, but my parents might say "Oh, we know a better alternative" and ignore the prescription and get me a drug with a similar effect. I think being knowledgeable about the subject and knowing what the drugs are for specifically will tell you whether or not you should take it. I trust doctors, but I also know that they can make mistakes. That's why it helps to get second opinions. But don't be automatically suspicious, they're not trying to hurt you or something, I've seen way too many hostile patients...

TLDR: Be informed, know what your taking, and the risks. Take your doctor's advice, but don't treat it as law.