An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Preventing Overdose

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by DancingLady, Oct 30, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

When I was living in the dorms, there was a gal who was very upset by something in her life and got seriously drunk and ended up in detox. I was only there at the beginning before I had to leave for something, so I did not see everything that happened.

Does anyone have advise for how to deal with a situation where someone is drinking heavily and is at risk of an OD if they don't stop? Since I wasn't present when she got into the danger zone, I don't really know how the situation was handled. Obviously if I was around someone who was drinking in a dangerous manner I would want to help them stop before they got to the point where they had to go to the hospital for detox if I possibly could.
  2. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Honestly, I think the best thing is to call 911. That is what I personally would do. Their life is a stake, and 911 is the number to call for life threatening situations.

Sadly, a few years ago in our town there was a teen who died from a similar situation. He was with his friends and they didn't call 911 or anything. Actually they took him to a doctor's house (they knew the doctor personally) but by then it was too late.
  3. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is very difficult to get through to someone who is in that state or frame of mind and even if you point out that there is a little problem it wont be heard until they have had a "near death experience." I find some college students get out of the home and into a big environment away from home, they tend to get wild and crazy which will end up with rape or overdose and others have issues that they cant deal with due to peer pressure or social isolation. Either way if you do notice someone is about to have a situation, warn the faculty and if they are doing it infront of you then call a parent.
  4. DancingLady

I would definitely cal 911 if someone was already in a life threatening state. I don't really have much experience with alcohol issues as my family did not drink and I never attend any parties where I know alcohol will be served due to concerns about my own safety in the presence of men who have been drinking.

I guess my question is how do you get someone to stop drinking before they are in danger? Is that even a possible thing to do? From what you are saying it sounds like there is no way to stop someone from going too far if they want to and I just have to respond to that situation when it happens, but there is no way to prevent it.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I had a cousin of mine who was a heavy drinker a few years back. He used to drink heavily and we were worried sick that he might contract liver disease or something bad might happen to him in his drunken stupor. My uncle intervened when he saw the situation was getting out of hand so he sat him down and had one long chat with him.
    My cousin was 27 by then and he wasn't getting any younger. Am glad my uncle was able to talk some sense into him and although my cousin was always fighting the urge to go back into drinking, his fighting spirit prevailed and he finally quit fir good.
  6. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Thats great news and with the love and support from people who care it makes the world of difference. It is sad that there are many who are alone and have nobody to push them into saving themselves and in this case sometimes the addicted do not get the strength to do it themselves. Hopes and wishes that for those who have nobody, there is a little strength and faith to move forward.
  7. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Recently a 20 old man overdosed at an ATV park here where I live. The reason I know it was an overdose is because my son works there. At first people thought he had just fallen off his 4-wheeler. A lot of people get hurt there riding their ATV's and of course drinking.

They tried to revive him for about 20 minutes so my son said. He was airlifted from the park which again that happens a lot there too. Come to find out he was there with his parents he had been drinking beer and liquior chasing it with pills. Very sad to know that young man's life had to end that way.
  8. DancingLady

That is really sad, and terribly unfortunate that no one realized what was going on. Why do they allow drinking at an ATV park? That seems like such a recipe for disaster from drunk driving accidents. ATVs are far from safe.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

It is a recipe for disaster no doubt about that. I totally hate that place women are drunk running around half naked. Kids are unattended while their parents get wasted. They have a stage there where bands come to play. There is always fighting going on because you have so many drunks coming together in this one place.

More people will die I just wish my two son's didn't work there. One drinks the other doesn't so at least I don't worry to much about the one that doesn't but he could still get hurt. When I say that place is a death trap I mean it. The owners are making a killing people come from everywhere it's the biggest ATV park in Georgia.
  10. joe

joe Active Contributor

I think the best thing to do is to approach the person and take the alcohol away.The approach should be in a manner.Then try to help the person reduce the alcohol effects by giving him or her water.Energy drinks can also do well.The person should also be given something to eat as this would satisfy the munchies one gets from beer.

When the alcohol level is low,it becomes easy to handle the person.
  11. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Water is the best remedy. As Joe above me suggested, you need to take that bottle away before you attempt anything at all. Cold freezing water will shock them and calm them down.
  12. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I was with a friend who was on the verge of Over Dosing, I took the bottle from them and threw it out. They were mad of course and became violent, but because they were so intoxicated it wasn't difficult to subdue them.

There is no sense in calling 911 because the new rules state they can't do anything until after the fact and if the person refuses help they can't do anything at all. The police can talk to the person, but unless they do something to warrant going to jail... their hands are tied. I've been through these situations on multiple occasions and it was always the same... they can't do anything. So I just started taking the substance away from the person that is about to over dose. However, you have to be careful of this. If you can not subdue the person then you will just have to let them OD and call 911 when it happens.
    Shimus likes this.
  13. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Well, my uncle, when he used to have his drinking marathon as we called it because he could last until the wee hours starting from early afternoon (at times with a warm-up in the morning), was often stopped by someone older in the family. Or someone in the neighborhood whom he respected would be called in to intervene. The good thing was when he was drunk, he would get all emotional and jelly-like. So it was easy to stop him. Thank God, he never had a major episode to my knowledge during his heavy-drinking days.
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

If it's possible to know what's driving an individual into heavy drinking then that could unearth the root cause of the problem.The trick is to talk with that individual in an open,respectful and non-confrontational manner and then you will know how best to assist them.
  15. mikeqin

mikeqin Member

Providing overdose prevention, recognition, and response education to drug users and their neighbors, friends, families, and the service providers who work with them is a harm reduction intervention that saves lives. Heroin and other opioid overdoses are particularly amenable to intervention as risk factors are well-understood and there is a safe antidote – naloxone
  16. vibrato

vibrato Member

One of the things you can do to help is to show the individual that you can be her friend. That way, she can express her feelings and problems and you will be able to help her resolve those. You can also advice her to seek other forms of managing her stressors other than drinking.

But if her life is really at stake, professional services are really needed.
  17. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I would say that it's important to show the individual that you are there for them. Let them know that they don't have to do what they are doing and that you are there if they need someone to talk to. Sometimes, that's the only thing a lot of people really need. If things get to a really bad point and they shows signs of overdose, you should most likely call 911.
  18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

If you are with them, you can try and wind the evening down for them. Maybe mention that you are hungry and offer to order some delivery food for you both to snack on. Booze generally doesn't taste good with food, so they may opt to chill out for a bit and have some sodas or whatever instead. The food will help soak up some of the alcohol and it may assist them in coming down from their drunkenness a bit and perhaps by then they will be ready to get some sleep.

The other thing is overstimulating people when they are drinking. Try winding the evening down and explaining to them (with the help of others there with you) that you are tired and about ready to hit the sack soon. If you all continue to stay up all night playing games, watching movies, or whatever, they're going to want to continue drinking as well, instead of wrapping it up and calling it quits for the evening.
  19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Its really hard to stop someone who wants to drink themselves into oblivion. I can be done though. You just have to be firm. Hiding the alcohol also works. Just get them to quit drinking by any means necessary.
  20. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Unfortunately, I know what it feels like being in that situation. Handling it, that's a whole different story. You'd have to be a conversational wizard or a professional hypnotist to have a better chance of resolving the drinking problems of a third party. It is exceptionally difficult to even convince them they're in any sort of trouble, let alone force them to undergo treatment. Success in your endeavor also depends on the person's mentality. I hope she's one to heed to other people's advice.